Battery charging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charging question

As we roll down the road does the truck keep the coach batteries charged (assuming the coach is plugged into the truck)?
    David Gueterman
    2016 ES Houston
    2016 Ford F-450

Basically, if there is any alternator output in excess of what the truck is using, yes. But due to small gauge of wiring, best you can hope for is to keep a good charge maintained.
    Sometimes you can check this by monitoring the battery voltage with and without the truck running--should be a higher voltage reading with truck running than when not.
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I see you have asked the same question on Thor forum, 5th wheel forum and now Suites Forum. You may also want to try RV.net and RV dreams.
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Our Ram 3500 will charge our 5r battery if the engine is running. Watched the voltage on the battery move from 12.3 to 12.9 in about 15 minutes. The battery was way low because the converter was not charging since a "key" was left out by the dealer.

Comment

The tow vehicle charging system works best at keeping up a well-charged/maintained battery(s)--it won't keep up with heavy use that leaves you with low battery status. Might be changing with the dual-alternator setup being offered, but I think the truck system itself still uses wire gauge that defeats delivering quick charges.
          2005 36TK3 #1869
          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I am NOT an electrical expert I just know after 10-12 hours towing the Residential frig is still at 38 and 0 degrees. So I am guessing my RAM is keeping things charged just fine.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Ford, Ram & GM all are the same in that there is a 10 gauge wire protected with a 30amp fuse running to the plug at the back of the truck and will charge the batteries, pretty straight forward. Only difference between them is some might stay hot even with the ignition switch off, others might need the ignition switch on. My 2013 ram is only hot with the switch on.

Comment

Working...
              X