Adding 2 more 6 volt batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2 more 6 volt batteries

I am looking to add 2 or 4 more 6 volt batteries to my 38RSB3. In my current battery compartment I have room for only two. Has any one else added batteries and where did you put them ?
    also what are you using ?

My factory installed batteries number 3&4 are installed in the Front DS corner. The battery compartment access door is in front just toward the center to clear the front Jack. The Factory battery cabling had a bit to be desired. I hope to post what I have done when I get back home.
    If you get away from the lead-acid batteries there other options but you have to replace the original batteries.
    Clay 2016 MS 38PS3
    Clay & Marcie
    2016 MS 38PS3/Dallas Generator and other goodies
    2015 Freightliner M2 106
    No Pets

Comment

I had my trailer delivered with one battery because I knew I wanted a large AGM battery bank for my setup. I also had DRV do some specific wiring changes as part of my build so my situation is slightly different than yours, but here is what I did. I installed four Fullriver DC260-12 AGM batteries immediately upon taking delivery of my trailer. These batteries are large 8D sized batteries (basically two group 24 batteries end to end in size). I built a battery box and installed the batteries in the basement along the back side of the generator and in the little alcove behind the stock door side battery compartment. I turned the door side battery compartment into my wiring connection center. The standard off door side battery compartment is empty and used to store my leveling blocks. The Fullriver batteries are excellent batteries. The are very similar to Lifeline batteries in quality at a lower price. I have installed them in several of the builds I have done with excellent service from both their 12 volt and 6 volt versions. Here are some pictures of what I did.
      2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
      2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

I have 4 Lifeline batteries in line against the generator compartment wall. The old battery compartment is storage for aerosol cans/ww fluid, etc.
        2005 36TK3 #1869
        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Hey Joe, if it's not too difficult could you post a couple of pics of those extra batteries? I'd LOVE to see those! Thanks

Dan

Comment

Will try soon, but we are full-time and they are buried under lots of stuff. If you have a gen or gen prep, you have the large compartment that is accessed from the front of the fiver. My batteries are lined up in a row butting against that gen compartment wall. 2 batts in series, then both series are paralleled to the inverter and solar wiring, which are all on the passenger side of that same compartment. AGM sealed batteries, so just need to protect the terminal connections, no gas to worry about.
            What ever you end up with, shortest/larger gauge wires between batteries and to the inverter are necessary.
            2005 36TK3 #1869
            2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I have four 6 Volt Gel installed inside the storage compartment (Gels don't 'gas' therefore they are not an explosive/fire hazard and can be used in enclosed spaces) at the front and close to the centre as possible. I also have two in the standard storage bay which is on the driver side front of my 2015 RSSA 38. 60 lbs each.

I also recently met another suites owner who had a lithium battery stack that weighed a third of what mine weighs and takes up a third of the space! Don't know the details however. Once these batteries die I'll be leaning in that direction.

Comment

Thanks Joe, I have a pretty good visual for where your batteries live. Thanks!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X