Electrical Problem Question about Charging Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Problem Question about Charging Battery

My question is this: can I charge my battery while plugged into the pickup? In trying to find out the problem that I have, I have 110 and 12 volt but nothing else. When I turn on the kitchen lights above the island it shuts everything down. My new battery is running very low and right now I have it plugged into the pickup via normal cord plugin. I am assuming that it must be the converter since the battery will not charge using the shoreline hookup. I have checked the shoreline and that checks out but from there it is a mistery. Can anyone answer my question on charging the battery while plugged into the pickup?

Fritz
    Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
    2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
    2007 Dodge Dually

Mine will charge off the truck. Have you inspect the charger unit fuses that can and do blow. My unit has 2 I think on the outside of the charger.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stacey & Gail
    E.W.I.G. (Ex-Weigh-It-Guy)
    '04 36 TK3 / SOITC #1341
    '99 Int'l LoPro MDT
    See Bill & Joan's New Adventure Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com

Comment

have you checked the converter circuit breaker at the main panel to see if it is tripped? if you are getting 12 volt via the truck, the connection must be good so it should charge the batteries when running. did the converter come unplugged? as mentioned may be a fuse at the converter.

Comment

Some trucks require the ignation switch to be "ON" in order to activate the 12 hot in the plug on the truck

Comment

You can verify the truck is charging the batteries by looking at the battery status while hooked and the truck is RUNNING. It will not charge if not running, and you cannot discharge the batteries by leaving it hooked up.
          If not being charged while hooked to shore power, most likely it is the converter or the converter fuses.
          Joe
          2005 36TK3 #1869
          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

It was the convertor fuses. All three! Found out that my nice son who was checking on the 5er while we were gone for 3 weeks found that the battery was almost dead and decided to buy a new one. He put it in backwards and figured out that the battery was in wrong and reversed it to the correct hookups the afternoon that we arrived back. The rest is history.

THanks everyone for the suggestions, you guys were right on.

Thanks again,

Fritz
            Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
            2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
            2007 Dodge Dually

Comment

trailers are wired like houses with black as positive and white as ground. you would think they would use black and red at the batteries to avoid the confusion. i have met someone else that did the same when he replaced the batteries thinking black was ground.

Comment

Working...
              X