Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet doors pulled away from the hole for the hinge grommet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet doors pulled away from the hole for the hinge grommet.

Many of the cabinet doors on our 2012 Elite Suite pulled away the first time or two they were opened. The first one came off during our factory delivery walk through. It was repaired there. But later, after we left the factory we had more pull away and had to take the unit back to DRV and have them all taken down and glued. They had not been glued before. Has anyone had this problem or know anyone who did?

Steve
    I have had the same trouble and now of a lot of other people that have the same thing happen.
    It is amazing that it takes the factory so long to fix a problem that so many people are having.
    I believe a lot of the problem is with the installation they are doing.
    Billy C

Comment

Originally posted by Steve C View Post
      Many of the cabinet doors on our 2012 Elite Suite pulled away the first time or two they were opened. The first one came off during our factory delivery walk through. It was repaired there. But later, after we left the factory we had more pull away and had to take the unit back to DRV and have them all taken down and glued. They had not been glued before. Has anyone had this problem or know anyone who did?
      Steve,

It is a common problem with the flip up style cabinet doors. I've had to glue 5 so far (fairly easy fix), but annoying nonetheless. I took delivery of my MS on June 1st 2012.
      DRV should rectify this issue.
      Bruce
      2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
      2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

Same thing happened to us in 05 when we got our new MS. I took ALL the doors off with that type hinge and glued them all. Problem solved and no problems since. I took ours in three times for warranty work to a dealer, and those were for major problems like the refrigerator, slide ram, etc. I would much rather fix it myself then I know how the work was done.
        Happy RVing.

Comment

Same problem with ours. We had them all repaired. Friends just ordered their Elite. They specified that hinges be screwed directly into wood--we'll see.
          David and Audra
          2015 44 Memphis Elite Suites
          2011 Chevy 3500 Dually; TrailerSaver hitch

Comment

So, for future reference, what kind of glue? I was thinking "Liquid Nails".

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by geo-gypsy View Post
              So, for future reference, what kind of glue? I was thinking "Liquid Nails".

Ron
              I used Gorilla glue, but I imagine just about anything would work.
              I only applied a little bit around the anchor, let it set overnight and reinstalled the cabinet door.
              The time consuming part is removing and reinstalling the door.
              Bruce
              2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
              2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

You will be pleased (yea right) to know that the problem still exists with 2013's Just got #6447 and have had to glue all the hinges on the over bed cabinets. I anticipate that the living room cabinets are next!!! They are drilling the holes too big
                Bill & Jody
                2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

"I have had the same trouble and now of a lot of other people that have the same thing happen.
                  It is amazing that it takes the factory so long to fix a problem that so many people are having.
                  I believe a lot of the problem is with the installation they are doing."

Has anyone had a conversation with the factory--seems like I am hearing of a lot of problems with new units that should never happen? Particularly the bedroom slides...I would not like to think about putting out $80k+ and having the cabinet doors fall off, or the slide not work.
                  Since my '05 seems to be not too bad off, can't consider an upgrade to a new one with these constant repeat problems being found.

Joe
                  2005 36TK3 #1869
                  2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut60 View Post
                    "I have had the same trouble and now of a lot of other people that have the same thing happen.
                    I believe a lot of the problem is with the installation they are doing."

Has anyone had a conversation with the factory--seems like I am hearing of a lot of problems with new units that should never happen? Particularly the bedroom slides...I would not like to think about putting out $80k+ and having the cabinet doors fall off, or the slide not work.
                    Since my '05 seems to be not too bad off, can't consider an upgrade to a new one with these constant repeat problems being found.

Joe
                    I made DRV aware of my cabinet door issue. Don't recall the name at this time. It one was of the two Greg's that are employed at DRV
                    Bruce
                    2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
                    2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

And you bought yours when? And still exists with 2013s? Wow. Guess all the new owners should just tug on the cabinet doors during the PDI--that would get their attention.
                      Joe
                      2005 36TK3 #1869
                      2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I have a 2013 Elite and have repaired four so far and have only used the trailer twice. I used chunks of toothpicks and Elmer's wood glue for the repair. As others have suggested the hole for the plastic molly is slightly to big or some of the mollys are to small.

Comment

Wouldn't it work also to just upsize the plastic insert?
                          Joe
                          2005 36TK3 #1869
                          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut60 View Post
                            Wouldn't it work also to just upsize the plastic insert?
                            Joe
                            Joe,

Yes, it would probably work if one increased the size of the anchor. In my case it was simplier to add a drop or two of glue (like the factory should be doing).
                            Bruce
                            2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
                            2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

When ordering a new unit, just ask your dealer to glue them all. We do this for all our units- don't want our people having any troubles. Slade says he gets tape and numbers each door, removes them, removes the hardware and then glues. We know it will happen, so we just go ahead and do each unit before it leaves us. I don't think the other dealers will mind doing this, so ..... just ask. Alicia <><

Comment

Working...
                              X