Fastec Industrial Door Lock Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastec Industrial Door Lock Recall

Fastec Industrial Corporation is recalling just under 3,000,000 locks that are subject to fail.

RV News Service Story

Another source stated that this recall affects units manufactured from January 2006 up until April of 2013. The following link to Fastec's website takes one to a series of questions about keys and locks. Question #4 addresses where to find the model number of one's lock to see if it is one of the affected locks.

Fastec Key and Lock Questions

EDIT: I checked when I got home today and ours is one of those subject to recall. Guess I'll get to wait for a new one.

Terry
    Last edited by millerjnt; 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM.
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Terry, thanks for posting this information. Ours is also within the number ranges listed. Since our unit was manufactured January 20,2006, it will be interesting to see if we get a notice or not.
    Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

You are welcome, Rick. While I was checking mine out, I took the time to put a "smidgen" of 3-in-One oil on the working parts.

Terry
      Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry, about once a year, I use motorcycle chain lube on all our outside locks and hinges. A local hardware store owner told me about this years ago when we had door locks on the house getting difficult to get the key in the lock. Important thing is to use chain lube only, never mix with graphite or it will "gunk" up the mechanism. The advantages to chain lube are that it it is safe on most paint, dust resistant, and has corrosion inhibitor.
        Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
        2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Rick,

That would likely be a better type of oil than 3-in-One, but can it be purchased in as small a container? The 3-in-One oil is in a three-ounce container. I guess if it comes in a bigger size, I could still use the chain oil on our bicycle chains.

Terry
          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

The story makes it sound like it's the key cylinder that may jam. A lot of folks including us, have had the cylinder re-keyed so that the rest of the rv community doesn't have ready access to our home ( since they're all keyed alike). I wonder if it will be necessary to change out that cylinder?
            Bill n Betsy
            2013 36RSSB3 #6350
            2012 Chevy dually D/Max
            Retired L/E now Full-Time Chrisitan RV Ministry
            W/Servants On Wheels Ever Ready (SOWER) #3213

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

As for the entry door locks, I'm not sure those are all the same. The infamous "751" key/lock on most of the compartment doors are definitely keyed like every other brand out there, and the two-sided key used in our "slam-shut" basement doors are as well. We went to get some new keys a while back so that our two sons would have keys, just in case anything happened to us, and the storage keys were definitely alike. Those can be bought at a locksmith really easy.

As for our basement area, the only time I lock them is when we will be traveling so that there is an extra precaution against the door coming open. When parked, they remain unlocked. I figure that if a thief wants anything, he will do a lot more damage to the coach and storage doors than what I have stored in the basement, so no sense in giving them a good reason to start prying on everything.

Terry
              Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry,

Did you contact FIC and they are sending one to you or are you waiting for DRV to contact you?

Fritz
                Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
                2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
                2007 Dodge Dually

Comment

Fritz,

I'll probably wait for the "official" recall notice. Otherwise, one could end up getting one direct and then DRV sending a letter and who knows what will happen with their record keeping if I contacted them directly. Besides, if everyone started "ordering" from FIC, they might get into a backlogged situation. After all, we are speaking of almost 3 million locks for about every brand there is that uses that style of lock.

We've not had any problems with ours in the three years we've had the coach (and two of those actually living in it), so I suspect that we will be fine until the official notice.

Now, if Slade out at Rolling Retreats tells me otherwise, then I may go direct to FIC or DRV, whomever may have them in stock.

Terry
                  Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Our lock failed this morning, I was unable to unlock from the inside. After a few attempts I used the remote and after a couple of attempts it unlocked. I removed the plate to see if I could see a problem. During this process the rod that goes down to the button pad fell out and the lock slid back and forth a lot easier. It seems like the rod cam may get slightly over center and make it difficult to unlock. I put it back together but if I have any more problems I will disconnect the rod and leave it out. I am not saying this is the problem for sure but it seems to me that it could be.
                    2011 MS 36TKSB3 moved down the road with 2012 Longhorn Max Tow

Comment

We have been having a problem unlocking the door from the outside for the past couple years. Problem was with the tumblers and last week Fastec sent me two new tumblers and instructions on how to change them out. All this at N/C.
                      Keys and locks works great now.
                      sigpic
                      Bob & Judy Schmader
                      2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
                      2001 F550 Starhauler
                      www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
                      IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

Working...
                      X