Dometic recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic recall

I called Dometic as my model and serial number are on the list. I was told my refrigerator is not affected. However, I went on their website and after entering my numbers I was told I was affected. And I have verified that with a local RV service center. Is this a common problem with Dometic?

Mine is on the list. Went to a few dealers in my area (Canada) and got the usual response. "IF WE DIDN'T SELL IT TO YOU, WE WON'T SERVICE IT." Guess I'll have to drop by Dometic on my way through Indiana next year. Can't believe the lack of service in this part of the world.
    2008 F-450
    2007 ES 36RE3 (3702) Traded for SOB May 11
    sigpic

Comment

Call Dometic and after you get through to an agent........., they will give you a list of service centers in your location, no matter where you are. I live in Ontario and too far from our dealer, and they gave me a list of local RV dealers that take care of it. No charge no hassle. I took ours with an appt to a dealer 10 min from home and had it done in 30 min. The dealer I went to sells small tent trailers and TT, not MS, and he does about 6-8 of these a day on all kinds of units.

Dometic should step in if there are any approved dealers not doing these recalls. They are critical.

Cheers,
      Bill
      Bill and Joan
      4 Collie pups
      01 Volvo 770
      05 38RL3 #2046
      05 Smart Passion loaded piggyback

Comment

We'll give it a try. Had the same problem with my Thetford toilet and no luck...finally had to buy a new toilet. Dealers here are pretty militant about not servicing what they did not sell. Business must be good. (reason I have Thetford...couldn't get parts for Sealand a year ago so gave up and installed Thetford)
        2008 F-450
        sigpic

Comment

It IS a common problem with Dometic--and if you can believe some of the comments, they continue to mfg fridges with the weaker welds. There are several sources that are making a business of replacing only the cooling units with beefed up units at a savings over full replacement. I have a friend who is currently in the process of doing this using a rebuilt cooling from someone from Arizona, who will guarantee it for several years.
          2005 36TK3 #1869
          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I had the same issue with Dometic as 2sweet0702. I checked the website and found that my unit was affected by the recall so I called the recall phone number and the automated system there also stated that my unit was affected by the recall. When I got through to an actual person and gave her all the information she said my unit wasn't affected by the recall. I explained to her that both the website and the automated system had a different response and could she clear up the confusion. She went away while I listened to some music then came back and oh yes, your unit is affected by the recall. So the moral to the story is don't rely on just one source. Bob is calling tomorrow to get this taken care of. Maybe the fix will also help my unit cool like an actual refrigerator.

Bob and Cherri
            Bob and Cherri Strohofer
            2006 38 RL3 #2730
            SOITC Charter Members

Comment

It's sure is sad the service or lack there of you get sometimes from manufactures and dealers. It sure seems they make plenty of $$ and could really care less if they satisfy the consumer. This Dometic fridge deal is just a joke. As a lot of folks, ours wasn't covered on the first recall, then magically it appeared on the second one. Guess the liability dept got nervous. (I made out OK getting it looked after)

The fix it truly a band aid to a manufacturing defect that they can only fix by replacing the entire cooling unit with a new design. Big $$ and that's not happening. Will be interesting to see if they change the way the make them in the future.

The mod will not effect the way the fridge cools or not cools depending on your view, it only makes a marginal attempt at protecting the unit from the FIRE spreading if one starts, also adds or replaces a duct temp sensor to cut off power in case of high temp. This may actually do more to prevent a fire getting worse.

Ours still has to be set on highest setting (5) to get normal cooling, that is with the outside temp in the 70-80's. Also I have 2 12V fans inside the upper exterior area pulling the hot air out, running all the time on separate switches.

After 4 attempts at repairs, one replacement fridge, still no better ops. And the "New" replacement done at the purchasing dealer was a 2 yr old unused fridge from a new unsold trailer S.O.B.

The best response I got from a dealer in Tenn for it not cooling was "You can't put a lot of food in these things, they cool better when mostly empty"!! Thats helpful!!

Thats my rant for the week!
              Bill and Joan
              4 Collie pups
              01 Volvo 770
              05 38RL3 #2046

Comment

Bill, it sounds to me like you have a ventalation issue. If the gaps around, behind, and on top of the refer are not correct, you can have cooling issues. The two fans you mentioned will certainly help, but at the same time, you can over do it. If the air moves too rapidly over the coils it will not have enough time to draw the heat from them. Yours should have come with two fans already installed on the back of the refer, switched on via a temp sensor on the top coils. If you have added a couple more, you may be doing more harm than good...
                My new website!

Comment

Thanks "Green" Mine only came with one fan so added a second. The sensor failed so added a switch. I will try and run one only for a while when its hot out and see if it changes. Maybe leave them off in cooler weather.

I'm not sure about the gaps. Will look at that.

Cheers,
                  Bill
                  Bill and Joan
                  4 Collie pups
                  01 Volvo 770
                  05 38RL3 #2046

Comment

We bought a new 07 Select Suite and we are having horrible problems with our frig. The freezer only get down to 30. We too only have one fan. We finally bought a freezer unit for our basement so we could keep food truly frozen. Our dealer is here almost every day with new parts trying to get this thing to work. I noticed our model number is on the recall list too.

Comment

Recall letter from Dometic/ DTR

We received an official safety recall notice from Dometic on a Doubletree letterhead yesterday. (12/20/08) Up until now we have followed up on previous published refrigerator recall information by calling Dometic giving them our refrigerator model and serial number. The response to Dometic's telephone number has always yielded conflicting responses. The initial automated response has always been "your refrigerator is included in the recall". When speaking as a follow-up to the telephone prompt to a human the response has been "you are not included". Now we receive a written notice which also contains conflicting information. Our model number is NDR 1292 which is not included in the letter as being involved yet our VIN range is within the 501 through 552 range.

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it resolved?

I am going to write a letter to Dometic requesting a yes or no response in lieu of all the double-talk.

I will keep you posted. Thanks and wish me luck.

rdgfac123

Comment

I agree about the confusion. Website says mine is affected but the real person (Dometic) says it is not recalled. I had a Dometic service person look at the fridge and he said it is Not recalled. I believe him so I assume we are OK. Have never received a recall letter (Dometic or Actibrake). The whole issue seems to be poorly handled.
                        2008 F-450
                        sigpic

Comment

I got my recall notice 2 years after my unit burnt to the ground but they still havent admitted it was their fault.
                          Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
                          2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
                          S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
                          Retired & Full timing

Comment

Working...
                          X