Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you leave a window ajar with furnace on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you leave a window ajar with furnace on?

Reading through the manual and see it says I should be leaving a window ajar when running the propane furnace. I never really thought I needed to do that with the lpg detector in the RV. Does anyone else do this?

We don't do that. Unless unburned gas or fumes can travel through the ducts into the coach, it really doesn't make much sense to me. Now, if the furnace itself was located within the living area, I would say that one would want to so that the flame in the furnace didn't use up all the oxygen inside. In all the homes where we had a fireplace, whether wood or gas, I always kept a window cracked some to allow oxygen back inside.

Keeping a window open wouldn't do much since LP gas is heavier than air, so unless the coach was really filling up with gas, it wouldn't reach the window anyway. That is why the detector is always located near the floor.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We don't and never have. In fact, even all of our vents except the bathroom have vent pillows to keep the heat in and the cold out.

I always see RV experts mention opening a vent to expel moisture, but we've never had moisture buildup in either of our Suites. It's almost the opposite, since the winter air is too dry for me.
      Vickie & David
      SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
      Alicia - Custom kitchen
      2014 F450 KR 4x4
      Titan 65g tank
      2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Does anyone crack a window when using the oven? I don't, there is enough make up air that finds it's way in thru the small holes in the rv.
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Our windows are never opened when we are using the heat. Depending on the weather we really find no reason to open windows. We do use a product called Damp Rid, buy it at the Dollar Store. You will be surprised at how much moisture is in a RV. With all the insulation the RV holds moisture. For sure in theW/D room. Happy Trails...
          Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
          2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

I think it is more to equalize the moisture content in the trailer. Running the furnace dries out the air inside. Leaving a window slightly ajar keeps the interior humidity at the ambient level outside (or nearly so). Do I do it? No, I boil some water to put moisture in the air.
            John & Bonnie Mc Clun
            2008 F-450 King Ranch Dually
            2011 MS TKSB3 #5793
            http://drv-owners-manual.com

Comment

I agree with Motorcycle Jack. Using the gas furnace without a window open dries out the air and my nose, but I can not bring myself to waste heat by opening a window. So, I don't use the gas furnace. I use infrared heaters:

one in the bedroom

and one in the living room
              Last edited by Gargoyle; 11-10-2012, 12:41 AM. Reason: can't type

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have slept better the past few nights knowing I'm relatively safe with windows closed. And I'm sure my pocket book is happier not having the heat flowing out an open window.

Comment

We carry a cold air vaporizer to keep moisture in the coach. It also helps kill the noise from outside. With out that I can not breathe by morning..
                  Pat
                  [SIGPIC]
                  Pat & Sandy Laurendine
                  Zoey (Rescue Cocker)
                  2014.5 44' Memphis Elite Suites
                  2012 F450 Lariate w/ Factory
                  Reese 18K Hitch
                  Line-X Color Match Spray In Bed Liner

Comment

Gargoyle,

I like the look of the small Infrared Heater for your bedroom. Could you tell me the brand and model. Looks like something we're interested in now. Thanks
                    Rick & Jana
                    06 MS 38RL3 #2626 SOLD
                    2014 Ram 3500 Big Horn DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisin , 4.10 , Long bed, Curt 20Q hitch
                    US Army - Retired Dec 2009

Livin the Dream, Making Memories

Comment

Originally posted by Army Guy View Post
                      I like the look of the small Infrared Heater for your bedroom. Could you tell me the brand and model.
                      I just looked up infrared heaters on Amazon and found the smaller heater. I like the temp readout. We have that feature on our heater. I like the quiet factor on any space heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifesmart-Comp...aters+electric
                      Vickie & David
                      SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                      Alicia - Custom kitchen
                      2014 F450 KR 4x4
                      Titan 65g tank
                      2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hitchup View Post
                        I just looked up infrared heaters on Amazon and found the smaller heater. I like the temp readout. We have that feature on our heater. I like the quiet factor on any space heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifesmart-Comp...aters+electric
                        Does this small one have a fan that kicks on/off? Or is is really quite?
                        Marshall & Nancy

2013 Elite Suites 38RESB3
                        2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD DRW 4WD Duramax
                        Solar 880 Watts, 24V

Comment

Hi Terry I have a ? for seeing how you live in the snow area. Do you have any problems with condensation on windows, corner of slide floor and wall ? And is there any moisture under the cabnet or draws on the slides. I am in the middle of doing a custom build on the Atlanta 44'. I have been a full timer for 14 yrs. and really wont to put out the $ and end up with the moisture and condensation problems. I have read all the recalls and others on this sit and woundering if DRV is the best way to go. I would really like to get your thoughts on this

Comment

I so no reason for opening one up. Reminds me of what my Mom said to us growing up. Close the does, do you think I'm trying to heat the outdoors.
                            2015 Ram 3500 RC 4x2, DRW, CTD, Aisin, 410 rear

2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSB3 on order.

Comment

Originally posted by ET156 View Post
                              Hi Terry I have a ? for seeing how you live in the snow area. Do you have any problems with condensation on windows, corner of slide floor and wall ? And is there any moisture under the cabnet or draws on the slides. I am in the middle of doing a custom build on the Atlanta 44'. I have been a full timer for 14 yrs. and really wont to put out the $ and end up with the moisture and condensation problems. I have read all the recalls and others on this sit and woundering if DRV is the best way to go. I would really like to get your thoughts on this

If you are directing your question to me, I can't speak to anything newer than our 2010 model. In our case, we lived full-time in our 38TKSB3 in Oklahoma City for three years. Oklahoma City is in an area where the humidity is pretty high, but we never had any issue with condensation or moisture anywhere. At least, none that we noticed.

We are currently at the base of a mountain in Colorado, but still no issues with moisture. Temperature-wise, it is colder here, having gotten down as low as 0 degrees (so far) with no problems, and the humidity here is a lot lower. This year was the first time we found a need to put an electric heater in the underbelly area to help with keeping the underbelly warm.

In living in the coach, we've had icicles outside on the exterior of the coach, but no problems inside. We've also been comfortable in temperatures ranging from 0 degrees up to 115 degrees.

Terry
                              Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                              2008 Ford F450
                              2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                              X