Western North Carolina and Wind Advisory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western North Carolina and Wind Advisory

In the mountain area of western North Carolina (Avery County / Boone - Banner Elk area) and a wind advisory was issued for today from 7am to 9pm. Sustained winds of 25-35 mph and gusts of up to 45 mph. The campground / site we are in is on the side of a very open hill and there are very few other occupied units here, one other traveller two spaces away and just a few long-term resident quite a distance from our campsite, certainly no other units to act as a wind break.

I'm a relatively new Suites owner who has limited RV experience compared to most on this site, but I'll post a suggestion here in hopes it may help someone else: dont trust the accuracy of these weather advisories. I wasnt much worried yesterday figuring 45 mph bursts would be bearable and hardly noticed. I was wrong. I'm not so sure these gusts are only 45 mph, one was so strong it lifted the off door / kitchen slide up and in about an inch at the top. Scared me half out of my wits, I thought my unit was going over. I'm impressed with the stability the level up system and jacks have provided but all things considered, if I had known this, I would have moved yesterday. Lesson learned. It looks like the worst has passed but I still tense up every time I hear the wind picking up.

Sorry to hear of your tough experience. I have had my '05 since '07 and have been thru some much higher winds, both towing and camped and have not noticed any movement to concern me as you describe. Not sure why the slide would move like that, but anything is possible.
    Don't let this one time sour you on the Suites experience.
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Joe

No, I still love my Suites, and still love travelling in it. Just really really spooked me when I heard the big gust of wind and saw the top of the slide coming in. Neighbor here said he thinks the gusts have been around 50 mph or so. I wouldnt want to experience anymore than that inside any RV. I think part of the problem is that the gusts seem to be hitting us nearly broadside. Front or back wouldnt be much of a concern, but the rocking from the big gusts hitting us broadside really makes one take notice. I did go out a little bit ago and filled the fresh water tank and flushed and filled the black tank about halfway. I dont know if there's any truth to the full tanks / ballast theory, but I'm willing to try anything that might help.

Wind advisory in effect until 9pm. Hoping the worst is out of the way now.

Comment

And we have had SNOW flurries today in the Asheville area.
        Wind continues into tomorrow. (Tue) Hang on!
        David & Joyce Robinson
        2011 MS 38TKSB4 #5535
        Winter work camping Sebastian Fl.
        Summer in mountains of NC.

Vanity slide, FP, vac, , level-up,
        thermo pane windows, dinette awning.
        240 volt dryer, residential fridge, roof
        satellite, Mor\Ryde pin box. Two bicycles
        on front, two kayaks on back.

2008 F-350 4X4 Diesel CC LB H&S Tuner
        Pressure Pro(10 tires), fold-a-cover, train horns,
        34 gal fuel/tool in bed aux. tank, Trailer Saver.
        sigpic

Comment

It depends on how we're parked, but it's been pretty common for the kitchen slide to bounce in and out at the refrigerator. The wind likes to catch the slide toppers and play with us.

We've been in hurricanes in both our Suites, straight wind lines (when a TT flipped) and still feel safe. You get used to it once you're fulltiming. It still bothers the cats, though.

Now if we're traveling down the road, that's another story. We always watch the weather and our route just in case.
          Vickie & David
          SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
          Alicia - Custom kitchen
          2014 F450 KR 4x4
          Titan 65g tank
          2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MTN.DAVE of NC View Post
            And we have had SNOW flurries today in the Asheville area.
            Wind continues into tomorrow. (Tue) Hang on!
            Dave, no, there was no hanging on for me. We were just north of you at Grandfather Mountain and after another night of worrying and not sleeping I pulled out this morning (the prescheduled end of our stay) and am now sitting in a very nice campground in Charlottesville VA. Not a bit of wind here and I'm not on the side of a hill wondering how far I would roll if the wind were to knock my RV over. Even high wind warnings at Fancy Gap on I77 was a breeze after my last two days / nights. We had the snow in NC as well, but that wind was too much for me. I love NC, very beautiful state, but this certainly wasnt one of my more enjoyable visits.

Originally posted by hitchup View Post
            It depends on how we're parked, but it's been pretty common for the kitchen slide to bounce in and out at the refrigerator. The wind likes to catch the slide toppers and play with us.

We've been in hurricanes in both our Suites, straight wind lines (when a TT flipped) and still feel safe. You get used to it once you're fulltiming.
            This amazes me. I would never have expected wind pusing in the kitchen slide, even just at the top, would be a common occurance. I really thought it was all over, we were going over for sure and searchers would be picking through the remains of the Suites for our bodies. We dont have the slide toppers, and I dont think I could ever get used to winds like that. Maybe I should avoid midwest states or Texas in our future travel plans.

I know that wind and storms are unpredictable and strange things happen (one unit destroyed, the one beside it unharmed, etc) but at what wind speeds should I be concerned? Our Suites rocked pretty good during some of the bursts, how would a new owner know what is normal rocking vs. when its time to seek more substantial shelter?

Comment

Originally posted by MoFanatic View Post

I know that wind and storms are unpredictable and strange things happen (one unit destroyed, the one beside it unharmed, etc) but at what wind speeds should I be concerned? Our Suites rocked pretty good during some of the bursts, how would a new owner know what is normal rocking vs. when its time to seek more substantial shelter?
              Anyone?.....

Comment

Mo,
                It seems as though you have a lower tolerance for movement, but I don't think there are any tables to check that reference wind speeds and fifth wheel movement. I don't mean to make light of your concern, just can't help you on what you are asking. What year/size do you have? As I mentioned above, we have been in many windy situations, and with lighter units that got buffeted quite a bit, but never felt really threatened. It is going to be difficult to dodge all of the windy times--weather fronts coming thru, etc. I have a nav system on my Ford that has radar built in to let me know when heavy storms are in my line of travel and which way they are moving, but some of them I just have to endure as the area they cover can't be bypassed. This nav system--TravelLink thru Sirius--even will show windspeeds and direction in the area.
                Joe
                2005 36TK3 #1869
                2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I dont remember where but I read somewhere that it takes an 80mph wind to turn a 5th wheel over. I have been in ours when the wind was strong enough to blow leaves in at the top of our door side slide and break both arms on the awning. Dont know how strong those winds were but didnt really notice the trailer moving.
                  Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
                  2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
                  S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
                  Retired & Full timing

Comment

I've seen a few videos since we've been fulltiming.

One was of a Mobile Suite in mid-west where it was one of a few that remained standing. Another of a 5th wheel where SOB rolled over onto the door side and they had to break out the rear window to escape. Not a great way to wake up in the middle of the night.

Some use a NOAA weather radio, some watch local television. But nothing is certain in this life, including when or where a disaster will hit.

http://rvingvideos.com/rver-talks-ab...he-campground/
                    Vickie & David
                    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                    Alicia - Custom kitchen
                    2014 F450 KR 4x4
                    Titan 65g tank
                    2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoFanatic View Post
                      Dave, no, there was no hanging on for me. We were just north of you at Grandfather Mountain and after another night of worrying and not sleeping I pulled out this morning (the prescheduled end of our stay) and am now sitting in a very nice campground in Charlottesville VA. Not a bit of wind here and I'm not on the side of a hill wondering how far I would roll if the wind were to knock my RV over. Even high wind warnings at Fancy Gap on I77 was a breeze after my last two days / nights. We had the snow in NC as well, but that wind was too much for me. I love NC, very beautiful state, but this certainly wasnt one of my more enjoyable visits.

This amazes me. I would never have expected wind pusing in the kitchen slide, even just at the top, would be a common occurance. I really thought it was all over, we were going over for sure and searchers would be picking through the remains of the Suites for our bodies. We dont have the slide toppers, and I dont think I could ever get used to winds like that. Maybe I should avoid midwest states or Texas in our future travel plans.

Looking to the comment above in bold and underlined, the link below will take you to some pictures of tornado damage to a Mobile Suites. It is minimal compared to the totally destroyed Coleman fifth wheel next to it.

Mobile Suites Tornado Damage in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; April 2011.

While that might all look good, living in Oklahoma and tornado alley, there is no way I would try to ride out such a storm. It is always wise to ask about the location of storm shelters at the time of check-in to a location, not after the sirens have begun to sound.

Terry
                      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                      2008 Ford F450
                      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                      X