The Thunderstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thunderstorm

We were in a very nice campground (County Campground) in Detroit Lakes, MN a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice warm late Sunday afernoon and some friends had come to visit. I was watching a line of thunderstorms pass to the south and one line to the north. We had both the front awning and the dining room awnings out. I thought " I should put them in", but decided with all of my vast knowledge of weather that the storms would go around us. Ha Ha. Mother nature informed me that I do not have that much knowledge and a storm desended on us in minutes. I managed to hang on to the 12 ft awning on the dining slide and watched the wind take the front awning and destroy it. It tore it from the arms and threw the roller up on the roof. Roller dance around and punched holes in the rubber roof material, broke the front AC cover and cracked a vent. Jeezz! After the storm passed I called the insurance company (Progressive) and started the ball rolling. An adjuster came the next day, I contacted a local RV dealer to have the awning arms and AC cover replaced. I have an appointment with Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate RV to have the rubber roofing material replace on Aug 15th. Lesson learned: Put up the awnings when in doubt. Oh well, such is the full-time life. I will let you know how the rubber replacement goes.
    Lon
    Lon & Barb Myhre
    2010 MS 38 TKSB #5313

This is exactly why I love the electric awnings. I listen for the awning to start flapping in the wind and put it up quickly. Never go to bed or leave the RV with it extended.

You're actually pretty lucky. In 2010, we had a bad storm up on Lake Erie, PA in the middle of the night. Our awning was in, but a small TT, camping for the weekend had his out. When he got up to bring it down, the whole TT flipped onto the door side and killed him. His wife & kids inside were rescued by other campers.

The wind skewed our freestanding satellite dish, tore 2 slide awnings. We had Paul Cross replace all 3 a few months later.
    Vickie & David
    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
    Alicia - Custom kitchen
    2014 F450 KR 4x4
    Titan 65g tank
    2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Electric awnings would have been nice. Don't think we could get it on the front with the vanity slide. When we get the next MS, I will change somethings that I learned. I trust Paul Cross and that is the reason that we will make the 1000 mile oneway trip to him. Looks like a few nights in a motel and eating out. I think insurance will pick up the tab to the amount on the policy for lodging and food.
      Lon
      Lon & Barb Myhre
      2010 MS 38 TKSB #5313

Comment

"Electric awnings would have been nice. Don't think we could get it on the front with the vanity slide" We have a vanity slide with an electric awning. You can probably use the insurance money and add a bit to get an electric awning installed.

Jim
        2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS with Vanity Slide # 5683, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually.
        Our Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by RETE8 View Post
          Electric awnings would have been nice. Don't think we could get it on the front with the vanity slide. When we get the next MS, I will change somethings that I learned. I trust Paul Cross and that is the reason that we will make the 1000 mile oneway trip to him. Looks like a few nights in a motel and eating out. I think insurance will pick up the tab to the amount on the policy for lodging and food.
          Lon
          Jim and sue are right. You should go ahead and get electric awning. If you don't mind keep us informed of the insurance and what all it covers I have progressive also. The electric awning should fit it works on ours with the vanity slide.
          2012 Moblie Suite 36 RSSB3 with vanity slide
          Steve & Nonna in Ms.

Comment

Here is the update to the storm damage and Progressive Insurance.
            I paid to have the awning arms replaced and kept the receipt per the adjuster. He indicated that a check would be issued if i wanted, to the RV dealer that repaired the awning, or I could keep all receipts till done. I choose to keep all until this was completed. When we arrived a Paul's Indiana Interstate RV to have the roofing material replace, I called the Catistrophic Team phone number the adjuster gave me. The estimate Paul had was higher than the adjuster. Progessive sent another adjuster the next day. He and Paul came to an agreement on the amount and he included a little for issues that could not be seen at the time. I was impressed. We moved to a motel while the coach was in Paul's shop. I had Paul work on a couple of other things that I wanted repaired. The sink in the kitchen was starting to fall out. Kay (Pauls wife) sent a warranty request to DRV for this issue. DRV covered it even though we are out of warranty as they understood the glue that had been sent to them was defective. Happy again.
            The adjuster wrote Paul a check for the amount of the repair and wrote me a check for the awning arms, less my deductiable. I just got off the phone with the Cat. team again about the motel and food. They said I could fax, snail mail or email my receipts and they would audit and issue a check for the amount, not to exceed the limit of my policy. I just sent them a PDF of all the receipts.
            Very pleased with Progressive. All of the people I talked with are professional and care about the outcome.
            Of course, Paul and his crew do great work.

Now,,,,,how much will my premium go up for next year....??? Time will tell. Thanks to all have had input on this and other issues that I have posted about. This is a great forum community!!!!
            Lon & Barb Myhre
            2010 MS 38 TKSB #5313

Comment

Originally posted by RETE8 View Post
              Here is the update to the storm damage and Progressive Insurance.
              I paid to have the awning arms replaced and kept the receipt per the adjuster. He indicated that a check would be issued if i wanted, to the RV dealer that repaired the awning, or I could keep all receipts till done. I choose to keep all until this was completed. When we arrived a Paul's Indiana Interstate RV to have the roofing material replace, I called the Catistrophic Team phone number the adjuster gave me. The estimate Paul had was higher than the adjuster. Progessive sent another adjuster the next day. He and Paul came to an agreement on the amount and he included a little for issues that could not be seen at the time. I was impressed. We moved to a motel while the coach was in Paul's shop. I had Paul work on a couple of other things that I wanted repaired. The sink in the kitchen was starting to fall out. Kay (Pauls wife) sent a warranty request to DRV for this issue. DRV covered it even though we are out of warranty as they understood the glue that had been sent to them was defective. Happy again.
              The adjuster wrote Paul a check for the amount of the repair and wrote me a check for the awning arms, less my deductiable. I just got off the phone with the Cat. team again about the motel and food. They said I could fax, snail mail or email my receipts and they would audit and issue a check for the amount, not to exceed the limit of my policy. I just sent them a PDF of all the receipts.
              Very pleased with Progressive. All of the people I talked with are professional and care about the outcome.
              Of course, Paul and his crew do great work.

Now,,,,,how much will my premium go up for next year....??? Time will tell. Thanks to all have had input on this and other issues that I have posted about. This is a great forum community!!!!
              Wow, that was a happy ending so to speak. Congratulations, lots of positive feedback/results in your post. Good to hear!
              Bruce
              2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
              2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

Yes, thanks for the update.

We just reached Diamond status on Progressive, so now have one large accident forgiveness. Knock on wood, don't want to file any claims. Luckily, Hurricane Issac didn't head up through Augusta, GA.
                Vickie & David
                SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                Alicia - Custom kitchen
                2014 F450 KR 4x4
                Titan 65g tank
                2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Lon, thanks for the update and glad everything went well. I was thinking about you the other day wondering how things turned out.
                  Tom & Judy
                  2011 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide Born 6/15/2011 FOR SALE SOLD

2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 4x4 SOLD
                  sigpic States stayed in while fulltiming

Comment

Tom,
                    Thought about you guys as well. Barb and I wondered how Judy was healing.
                    Lon
                    Lon & Barb Myhre
                    2010 MS 38 TKSB #5313

Comment

Lon,
                      Judy is doing good, thanks for asking. We did see you when we were leaving Lagrange. We are now in Rapid City, SD heading to Sundance, Wy tomorrow morning for a couple of days. Take care and trvel safe.
                      Tom
                      Tom & Judy
                      2011 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide Born 6/15/2011 FOR SALE SOLD

2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 4x4 SOLD
                      sigpic States stayed in while fulltiming

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the great follow up of the insurance and how everything turned out for you. I have found that Progressive seems to care about their customers more than any of the other insurance companies that I have dealt with. During the last Storm (Isaac) I have received several emails from them telling me how to file a claim, if I had one. Which I don't, Thank God. But none the other companies that I still deal with have said anything to me. And never did in the past. So far I am pleased with them.
                        2012 Moblie Suite 36 RSSB3 with vanity slide
                        Steve & Nonna in Ms.

Comment

Working...
                        X