New Problem With Forum - Can't Select Font and Font Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Problem With Forum - Can't Select Font and Font Size

In two different threads, I replied to an original poster. Even though I highlighted the text of my comments, the forum didn't allow me to select the "Georgia" font and the "3" size for the font.

I went back to one and tried to edit it, but it still would not allow a font and size change. The "commands" show in the text box in front of the text of the comment, but the "trailing" "commands" aren't showing up.

Also, after highlighting the text, as soon as I click on the "down arrow" to the right of the "Font" selection box, the highlighting of the text in the text box goes away.

Does anyone have any ideas or is this a forum administrator issue?

OK. In previewing this post, I discovered the solution. Normally, the words FONT and SIZE are within brackets ([]) with a (/) mark in front of the word and are at the end of the comments. However, I found those "commands" in the area at the front of the comments instead of the end of the comments. I deleted the ones at the beginning and manually put in the commands at the end and the preview showed the change of font and size.

Now, we just need to know why they didn't automatically go at the end instead of at the beginning.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

This reply to my own original post is a test. While on another (non-rv) forum, I noticed the same problem that I'm having here. So, I am now wondering if I have a problem with either my browser or something else. In the past, I've been using Internet Explorer but for this one, I'm using Firefox.

So, we'll see if the font style and size messes up with Firefox.

OK. It did work with Firefox, so I evidently have an issue with IE. Since Jo is the computer guru, I'll have to ask her tomorrow. But, since she doesn't do much in the way of forums, I may have to rely on someone else for some tips. Anyone out there have any?

Terry
    Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

OK, I have since talked with the computer guru (wife, Jo) and she informs me that she upgraded Internet Explorer to version 9, which was probably just before I started having problems with some of the forums with style and size of fonts. So, until they "fix" their upgrade and we get it updated, I'll probably have to use Firefox.

Of course, we are "presuming" that is the problem.

I just wanted to let everyone know in case you are using IE.

Terry
      Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry, I tried the IE 9 update for just a few days and went back to the previous system.
        On my computer it's a "go back" feature. I've read that others don't like the 9 either.
        David & Joyce Robinson
        2011 MS 38TKSB4 #5535
        Winter work camping Sebastian Fl.
        Summer in mountains of NC.

Vanity slide, FP, vac, , level-up,
        thermo pane windows, dinette awning.
        240 volt dryer, residential fridge, roof
        satellite, Mor\Ryde pin box. Two bicycles
        on front, two kayaks on back.

2008 F-350 4X4 Diesel CC LB H&S Tuner
        Pressure Pro(10 tires), fold-a-cover, train horns,
        34 gal fuel/tool in bed aux. tank, Trailer Saver.
        sigpic

Comment

Reporting back after the "in-house" computer guru removed Internet Explorer version 9. Now, it seems to work like it is supposed to work. So, anyone considering IE 9 may want to reconsider it. It seems like there were several things with different forums that went bonkers after we upped to 9.

Terry
          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Although we haven't used IE for many years now, most tech 'experts' are seriously recommending upgrading to IE9 for security reasons. http://windowssecrets.com/ Unfortunately, Microsoft will always be the target for the nasties. Definitely recommend switching to Firefox or Chrome. We especially like Chrome....much faster surfing. However, we don't worry at all about fonts or font size in web postings. [If you need to increase font size for vision problems, Control+ or Control++ increases & Control- or Control-- reduces.] Gotta make your decision based on something, I guess.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Stacey & Gail
            E.W.I.G. (Ex-Weigh-It-Guy)
            '04 36 TK3 / SOITC #1341
            '99 Int'l LoPro MDT
            See Bill & Joan's New Adventure Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com

Comment

Why not try Firefox 5? It is great and has add ons for anything IE 9 will do and MUCH more secure. Even though I'm an MSCE I will be the first to tell you that MicroSoft just is too buggy until they've had a product out a couple of years.
              John & Bonnie Mc Clun
              2008 F-450 King Ranch Dually
              2011 MS TKSB3 #5793
              http://drv-owners-manual.com

Comment

John,

I haven't answered sooner, and I really don't have a good reason (other than laziness or being sloppy with manners) for not answering.

Initially, after Jo took us back to IE 8, I kept using it because its "Favorites" feature was easier to work with. But recently, they have made some changes to SOITC's website and when I tried to change font style and size, it would "un-highlight" after I selected the font style. Then, I'd have to re-highlight the text and select the font size.

Again, it appears to be an issue with IE8, so, like it or not, I'll probably go back to Firefox 5. The font formatting seems to work fine with it.

As for the "need" to change the font style and font size, I guess I'm just a weirdo in that I don't like the default style and size. In the past, I used to make the size even larger, but that always leads to my posts taking up a lot of space on the forum page. I think that "need" comes about because when I ran the "media booth" at church, the older folks needed the font style to be uncluttered (thus I used Arial) and larger on the overhead screen so they could read it better.

While I still have concerns that some folks can't read the small print, I have reverted to "3" as a size, but I REFUSE to use Arial as a style.

Yeah.....I'm a b*tt.

Terry
                Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                X