Space heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space heaters

Several years ago, based on reports on several forums, I purchased a Vornado Digital Control electric heater. It worked so well, a year later I got a 2nd one, paying about $100 for each. The first one (at home) is still running, tho noisy; the 2nd one has stopped blowing air, and I am on a trip in cold climes. Went shopping and could not find similar replacements in any stores, ended up with a Lasco Digital Ceramic Tower Heater, model #5165. Cost was $49.99 at Target--it is working as well as the Vornados at half the cost.
    It oscillates about 60 degrees and has a remote control.
    Just thought I'd pass this along.
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Based on the opinions of others that were expressed to me, we bought similar heaters. We have a large one, model # 5538 for the living room/kitchen and a smaller one, which is currently in a dark bedroom with a sleeping wife, so I can't get the model of that one. Both oscillate and the big one has a digital readout for setting the thermostat, but the smaller one only has a 3-position switch for temperature control.

Both are doing well for us. We bought an even smaller one, shaped like a cube as a backup for heat in the basement and belly. We haven't used that one yet, and I really hope to not need to. So far, the temperature sensors for our indoor/outdoor thermometer doesn't indicate a need for it. But, we aren't in really freezing temperatures yet.

Even though the Lasko heaters are made in China, I am happy with them, but time will tell.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Don't remember just how long we have had the Lasko Tower digital read out with remote for several years and have no issues. Works very, we do have a small cube heater just for the bathroom on colder mornings and showers... We only use the front and rear Fireplace when extra heat is needed. I would buy another Laske heater.... Happy Trails........
      Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
      2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

The smaller Lasko in our bedroom is model # 5307. The small cube shaped Lasko is in the basement and its way too cold here for me to even THINK about going to look for it.

Terry
        Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I got tired of the noise of the fan in these heaters. So I got a 4 foot baseboard heater. It sits against the outside wall behind the lounge chairs, connected to a LUX thermostatic control, plugged in under the dining room table. It is warm and quiet.
          Kent
          2004 Volvo VLN630
          2007 36 RS3 Mobile Suite
          2007 Suzuki SX4 behind the 5er
          Blog: http://roamingreimers.wordpress.com
          sigpic

Comment

Kent,

That is something to keep in mind. I know a lot of folks don't like the noise of the fans. However, in our case it can be helpful. We are in a mobile home park only 100 yards from I-44 and 1/2 mile from I-35 in Oklahoma City. In our case, even though the Suites are well insulated and quieter, every bit of white noise is helpful.

But, I will take note of your solution for those times when we are out away from traffic.

Thanks for the idea.

Terry
            Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

KFRimr--
              Since your heater is behind the recliners, why not use the outlet there, instead of under the dinette?
              Joe
              2005 36TK3 #1869
              2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Has anybody thought of trying the Cheap Heat system. I installed this system in my 36TK3 2004 Mobile Suite and am very satisfide with it's operation. I added an extra 4'' duct to the underbelly and this is working very good. I'm very impressed with this system and hope the factory starts to install it during the build.

Comment

we use an oil filled radiant heater and sit it under the ceiling fan. with the fan on low, it spreads the heat around nicely

Comment

"Since your heater is behind the recliners, why not use the outlet there, instead of under the dinette?
                    Joe "

Good question. the reason I don't use the outlet behind the recliners is that I use the LUX thermostatic control. If it was right on top of the heater it would not test well the ambient air, so under the dinette is further away from the source of heat.
                    2004 Volvo VLN630
                    2007 36 RS3 Mobile Suite
                    sigpic

Comment

Terry,

You like a little ambient noise. I have ringing in my ears, so to have white noise just raises the volume of annoyance. So the quieter the better. I wish there was a way to put a baseboard heater in the bedroom. Even the oil filled radiant heater I have seen are too large for the bedroom. IDEAS?

Kent
                      2004 Volvo VLN630
                      2007 36 RS3 Mobile Suite
                      sigpic

Comment

Kent,

I also have constant ringing in my ears. Some years ago, I went to the doctor and mentioned that so he sent me to an audiologist. According to what was tested, I've lost some hearing of the higher frequencies. Which is funny since I still hear a lot of the high frequencies that a lot of folks don't hear. Back when I was overseas in the Army, one of our maintenance men got bored one night and hooked up a signal generator to create something for testing hearing. Since all of us were into building up component stereo systems with good speakers, he wanted to find out if what we claimed to hear was actually being heard. When he tested me, he turned around immediately and said, "Let's do that again." A second test confirmed the first in that I had much better hearing than everyone else.

As I mentioned, we have a small Lasko ceramic tower heater in the bedroom and it sits right on top of the dresser. Not having a 4th slide, we need all the floor space we can get. While your normal baseboard heater might could be used there, would it be too long for the space? Are there shorter ones? Or, does your wife insist that a heater will never take up space on the dresser?

Terry
                        Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
                          Kent,

While your normal baseboard heater might could be used there, would it be too long for the space? Are there shorter ones? Or, does your wife insist that a heater will never take up space on the dresser?

Terry

Terry,

I hadn't though about putting it on the dresser...I'll have to pass that by the wife. I know that she has no problem with hording the space on the dresser. Yes they do have a verity of sizes and lengths of Baseboard heaters. I never thought about putting it that high. because it doesn't have a fan the convection is what moves the air, so on the floor, outside wall is usually the best. But at this point second best may have to do. Thanks for the Idea.

Kent
                          2004 Volvo VLN630
                          2007 36 RS3 Mobile Suite
                          sigpic

Comment

OK, I'm stuck (or frozen) up here in MN tying to finish my last consulting job. It's the last time I'm doing this. I think I've said that before.

I have researched this forum and others about winter camping and I've done everything I can, including gitting my 2 space heaters; one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I was just using the one in the living room, until last night when it went down to 21 degrees. I got up and turned on the one in the bedroom and it tripped the 15 amp breaker. It appears that almost all the outlets on my vintage 2004 33 foot MS are on the same 15 amp service. Not wanting to desturb the dresser arangement in the bedroom, I left that heater plugged into the 15 amp circuit. I noticed that the stuff on the desk (computer, printer, TV, stereo) was still operating, so I plugged the heater in the livingroom into the surge protector on my desk. Everything was great until I needed to make my morning coffee. That breaker tripped!
                            OK folks, where do you plug in your space heaters so the breakers don't trip? HELP! My survival depends on the answer.
                            Deb & Fred
                            Gus
                            - Dachshund Security
                            2004 Mobile Suites 33RS3 #1261
                            2013 F350 4X4

Comment

Deb and Fred,

It may be of little help to you because our Mobile Suites is a 2010, and I'm sure that they have since rewired things as to what is on which breaker. Our bedroom Lasko heater is plugged into the outlet to the right of the window over the dresser. The larger one is plugged into the outlet on the "outside" of our peninsula kitchen counter. In other words, between the counter and the dinette. In the two winters we've done here in Oklahoma, we've never had a breaker go because of the heaters.

Terry
                              Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                              X