No announcement yet.

Space heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not much to help you, but you need to find out which outlets are on which breakers. Turn off a breaker and see what works and record it...then repeat with rest of breakers. If one breaker controls a lot lest than the others, that would be one for the heater. Or, turn off the heat while you make coffee?? Sounds critical to me--couldn't do without morning coffee. To some extent, I have the same problem with my 2005 when on 30 amp or (gasp) 15 amp service. The island outlets seem to be the best to use for a heater. But I do pretty good if I remember to turn off the heater while making the coffee--then all is ok for keeping the coffee warm AND the heater.
    There is also a way to rewire the distribution box if you know what you are doing to better balance the loads.
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
      Deb and Fred,

It may be of little help to you because our Mobile Suites is a 2010, and I'm sure that they have since rewired things as to what is on which breaker. Our bedroom Lasko heater is plugged into the outlet to the right of the window over the dresser. The larger one is plugged into the outlet on the "outside" of our peninsula kitchen counter. In other words, between the counter and the dinette. In the two winters we've done here in Oklahoma, we've never had a breaker go because of the heaters.

Terry
      Hi Terry. Did I read you were moving to Denver? Curious as that will be one our stops to visit our niece. Hoping for next summer.

Regards
      Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
      Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
      2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Thanks Wingnut60. I agree that the coffee is the most critical thing. I can always put on a jacket while I make coffee. I did turn off the livingroom heater this morning while I made coffee. The propane furnace kept everything nice and toasty and no tripped breakers. Before I left for work, I turned the livingroom heater back on and everything worked fine. The second most critical thing is the remote start on my truck. I had about 1" of snow on it this morning and after about 10 minutes it was all warmed up and defrosted. The remote turns on the heated seats and steering wheel also. I love my new F-350.
        I checked my island and it's on the same circuit as the bedroom outlets so........ that won't work. I do plan on mapping out my electrical circuits and labeling everything. Then I'll see if I need to change the wiring, but for now I guess I've got a work-a-round. Thanks to all, Fred
        Deb & Fred
        Gus
        - Dachshund Security
        2004 Mobile Suites 33RS3 #1261
        2013 F350 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by moeandflo View Post
          Hi Terry. Did I read you were moving to Denver? Curious as that will be one our stops to visit our niece. Hoping for next summer.

Regards
          Michael and Katherine,

Our plans are to retire from our jobs the first of July and move to Colorado. We still want to work, but we want to get away from the nonsense that is "working for the state" and do something else. I've got dreams of being a big-box store "cart dude." That would let me work outside again and maybe even lose some weight. At present, no jobs are known of in Colorado, so it may be July before we do all this. Our preference would be to be in the Colorado Springs area because one of Jo's sisters lives in CS and the other lives in Canon City (roughly 50 miles away) and a niece and nephew that live in the Cripple Creek area.

We spent some time researching and looking at both mobile home parks and RV parks in the two areas, and our preference would be to stay full-time at Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort, which is southwest of CS. Since we live within 200 yards of a major interstate highway (I-44), I'm anxious to trade the "screams of sirens of emergency vehicles" for the screams of mountain lions.

Terry
          Attached Files
          Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
          2008 Ford F450
          2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry. I am going to have to add that to my list of "signs you won't see in Florida." Maybe we can meet one day in Colorado.

Stay warm.
            Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
            Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
            2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Originally posted by Paw John View Post
              Has anybody thought of trying the Cheap Heat system. I installed this system in my 36TK3 2004 Mobile Suite and am very satisfide with it's operation. I added an extra 4'' duct to the underbelly and this is working very good. I'm very impressed with this system and hope the factory starts to install it during the build.
              We have a DRV on order and are having the Cheap Heat system installed. Not a factory option but is a dealer-installed option.

In our previous DRV we only used ceramic heaters...one in the living room, one in the bedroom. They did an adequate job. The Cheap Heat system should do a better job while not using that expensive propane.
              Jim & Barb
              www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
              2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
              2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
              Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
              Volvo 770
              2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

Originally posted by moeandflo View Post
                Terry. I am going to have to add that to my list of "signs you won't see in Florida." Maybe we can meet one day in Colorado.

Stay warm.
                I'm not really trying to hijack this thread, but your last comment DEMANDS a reply.

Would you find these signs better?

Terry
                Attached Files
                Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                2008 Ford F450
                2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Hate to admit it but have no idea what a "cheap heat system" is does it replace the LP furnace in some way? Thanks in advance
                  2008 32 TK3 Mobile Suite #4311
                  2011 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Duramax DRW
                  Trailer Saver TS3
                  Tire Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by waternut View Post
                    Hate to admit it but have no idea what a "cheap heat system" is does it replace the LP furnace in some way? Thanks in advance
                    Waternut -

Yes, kinda. It is a "distribution plenum" replacement to the propane furnace. It has heating strips in it and a control unit that taps into the furnace controls to override the propane circuits. So, when chosen to override, the furnace fan comes on, but the propane circuit is not activated (ie, fan only). Power is applied across the heating strips, and thus warmed air is distributed to the "furnace vents" and the underbelly heating duct. Depending upon your price per KWH, or cost per camping space with electrical, versus propane price per BTU, it can be cheaper than propane. Cheap Heat has a good website with great diagrams, just Google it.

Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron, excellent site. We winterize and have not made any below freezing trips yet. Looks like my cheap heat will be the small space heaters till we go full time. I do have a neat plug in that only energizes when it gets below 45 degrees. Will handle 15 amps. I use one in the basement and one in the bath area when there is a chance of a freeze and am not winterized. Just plug it in and plug the space heater into it. Most space heaters will only go down to around 60 degrees. All we need is to keep it above freezing when plugged in at the house.
                      2008 32 TK3 Mobile Suite #4311
                      2011 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Duramax DRW
                      Trailer Saver TS3
                      Tire Monitor

Comment

Working...
                      X