Weathering the Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weathering the Storm

We spent this last weekend in Galveston and were hit with some rainstorms during that time. However, on Friday night, we had a horrible rain, hail, wind, lighting event that should have shaken our Tradition all over the place. Our unit never even moved! We were amazed at how solid and sturdy this fifth wheel truely is. They lost power in the RV Park and our lights in the RV never flickered. When the power came back on, everything resumed as if nothing had happened. We were so glad everything worked as it should.
    Kim & Karen
    2014 385RSS Tradition
    2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 Dually LTZ
    & Pixie, too
    Texas

Not that I'd recommend sitting weather like this out in an RV, but we were at a Texas Boomers rally at Palacios a number of years ago in our 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 when a storm rolled in on Saturday night. In addition to heavy rain and straight-line winds, a waterspout came through the bay, capsizing a number of shrimp boats docked about 150 yards from our MS and then moved inland. It apparently lifted off the ground and came right over our MS as I was sitting in my recliner watching the local weather channel when the outside of the slideout in which the recliner was located lifted up about 3 to 4 inches and then sat back down. Other than that, it was business as usual. I don't even think I spilled any of my iced tea.

Glad to hear you made it through this weekend's storms OK.

Rusty
    Rusty & Sandy Creekmore
    2 Shelties - Coby & Callie + Conner the Campground Cat

Prior - 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291; Current - 2014.5 MS 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, B&W RVK3600 hitch

Comment

we are in Shiner, TX and also sat through that storm. No problems but the wind/rain was coming down so hard we thought we were going to get blown over. We had no issues and survived another one.
      Rick & Jana
      06 MS 38RL3 #2626 SOLD
      2014 Ram 3500 Big Horn DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisin , 4.10 , Long bed, Curt 20Q hitch
      US Army - Retired Dec 2009

Livin the Dream, Making Memories

Comment

We have learned to always be prepared. While we were in Williamsburg, VA when Hurricane Ernesto came inland in 2006. While there wasn't a forced evacuation, I think some campers left early because there were only a few of us extended-stay people left.

We had a 2006 Elite and lost power for close to 3days, but we had a contractor's generator from David's jobsite. We spent time with minimal power while other campers were without power and water. Campground was on a well and it took a day or two until they could locate a generator for water.

Then there's the time on Lake Erie in PA. Straightline winds tossed a TT in the middle of the night who left his awning out. That ended in a death.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...WS02/306069846
        Vickie & David
        SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
        Alicia - Custom kitchen
        2014 F450 KR 4x4
        Titan 65g tank
        2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Well, being that we lived in Oklahoma in our Mobile Suites for just over 3 years, they do weather storms pretty well. They also hold up well during earthquakes.

While the pictures at the link below are a few years old and shows a Mobile Suites after a tornado, one has to remember that tornadoes are strange storms, to say the least. While the frame and wheels of the Coleman fifth wheel flew up over and beyond the Mobile Suites, it could have been that just the opposite happened, in that the Mobile Suites was destroyed and the Coleman wasn't.

Mobile Suites Tornado Images

Terry
          Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
          2008 Ford F450
          2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
          X