WiFiRanger Sky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiFiRanger Sky

I thought I asked this before but I do not think I ever got a reply. I'm getting ready to order my unit and was going to opt the WiFiRanger Sky. Who has it, and what do you think? Worth the $600?
    2015 Ram 3500 RC 4x2, DRW, CTD, Aisin, 410 rear

2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSB3 on order.

Could someone explain what it is supposed to do?
    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

We have it. It seems to do a pretty good job of capturing the wifi signal and bringing it into the rv versus leaving your device at the mercy of whatever wifi signal happens to come in via walls and windows. It will not work magic, though. Campgrounds tend to cheap-out when it comes to providing customers with bandwidth.

For example, we're spending the winter at a resort that charges $1000/mo. They advertise free wifi but it is pretty much useless. I would have preferred they take some of that money and upgrade their system. It's been a complaint about this resort since the day they opened a few years ago. We had Mediacom come out and hook-up internet at our site. Now, I leave the Sky unit turned off and have unlimited access to the internet and can utilize Netflix all day long without any buffering.
      Jim & Barb
      www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
      2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
      2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
      Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
      Volvo 770
      2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

I have it.. have not even turned it on in 5 mo.

Have a verizon mifi running through a wilson 4g amplifier..antenna is about 4ft about the roof.
        It's all i need, and I'm a heavy user..about 20gb a mo.. on a 30gb plan.
        2013 3500 RAM DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisen , 4.10 , Longbox
        2015 Lexington MS
        2015 Hyundai Elantra

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by The Junkman View Post
          I have it.. have not even turned it on in 5 mo.

Have a verizon mifi running through a wilson 4g amplifier..antenna is about 4ft about the roof.
          It's all i need, and I'm a heavy user..about 20gb a mo.. on a 30gb plan.
          30GB plan, man I bet that's a monthly bill. I had read were Verizon SCREWED up and offered unlimited data with the I phone 6 came out. I bet that did not last long at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rynosback View Post
            30GB plan, man I bet that's a monthly bill. I had read were Verizon SCREWED up and offered unlimited data with the I phone 6 came out. I bet that did not last long at all.
            230.. 2 smart phones, MIFI, unlimited talk and text, 30 gb shared data.. On the best network.. not being throttled. Not bad .. cheaper than phones and broadband data I used to have in the house.. although.. directv is more for cables cause I added all the movie channels..

Those unlinited plans, I believe are throttled.. had millenicom... drove me nuts when they did that..

Very happy with verizon... since the 80's
            2015 Lexington MS
            2015 Hyundai Elantra

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

Comment

As long as I have 4G service on my Verizon phone, we use that as I have unlimited data (no throttling but I have to buy the phones outright to keep unlimited). When we are on 3G service and the park doesn't have very strong service, the WiFi Ranger comes in handy...once you log on, it will amplify the signal and make a marginal connection workable. There is usually someone with an unlocked signal nearby also......
              2012 Freightliner M2-112 with DD13, Allison 4000 and Trailer Saver

2015 38RSSA Elite #7598

Comment

So to some it up, it sounds like everyone is saying that it is a waste of $600. As they have never turned it on, parks wifi is so bad it makes no difference.

Comment

So to some it up, it sounds like everyone is saying that it is a waste of $600. As they have never turned it on, parks wifi is so bad it makes no difference.
                  Depends how you travel, and your budget.... and mine was like $250 from drv .. not 600.. check your numbers..List price is only 400. Maybe they need the money for the alica kitchen..lol
                  2015 Lexington MS
                  2015 Hyundai Elantra

Comment

I didn't say it was a waste. At times you will be able to get an WiFi signal with the Ranger instead of being in the dark. I have been in several places where Verizon didn't have a good signal and the park WiFi had a weak signal. I'm sure you have been in similar situations yourself. Right now, Junkman is in Florida where you have a cell tower every 15 feet......We have stayed in places where the nearest tower was miles away...
                    2012 Freightliner M2-112 with DD13, Allison 4000 and Trailer Saver

2015 38RSSA Elite #7598

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
                      I didn't say it was a waste. At times you will be able to get an WiFi signal with the Ranger instead of being in the dark. I have been in several places where Verizon didn't have a good signal and the park WiFi had a weak signal. I'm sure you have been in similar situations yourself. Right now, Junkman is in Florida where you have a cell tower every 15 feet......We have stayed in places where the nearest tower was miles away...
                      Yep. I hear ya... That is why I got it... the generator too.. the extra satv dish.. etc... Just in case I need it..
                      2015 Lexington MS
                      2015 Hyundai Elantra

Comment

Antenna set up

Hi Junkman,

We just sold our 2013 38RSSB3 and I used the Surecall Omni 3G/4G full band antenna which I mounted to the latter rung on the roof. Then poked a hole through the roof into one of the rear cabinets. Here I had the Cradlepoint router with a Verizon USB modem connected for wifi. I too use a lot of data, 15-20 gig/month. This worked pretty well.

I just upgraded to the Verizon Jetpack which support and external antenna connection. Is that what you have?

What antenna are you using and how/where did you place it? How are you getting the antenna up 4ft?

BTW - We plan to be at the Vegas rally with our 2015 38RSSA with the Memphis front-end (Bath/Bedroom). This gives us about 2 more feet in the bedroom/bath area. Our unit arrives approximately March 1.
                        Ray & Ruth - Vancouver WA

2015 MS 38RSSA #7727 w/ another 34 plus mods
                        2013 Chev Silverado 4X4 LTZ Dually Diesel
                        65 Gal tank - Just in case

Comment

Originally posted by The Junkman View Post
                          Depends how you travel, and your budget.... and mine was like $250 from drv .. not 600.. check your numbers..List price is only 400. Maybe they need the money for the alica kitchen..lol
                          Budget in building our rig is not a factor. If something works well and we want it, we will get it. And if it saves us money down the road it is a BONUS. I do not spend like money grows on trees, but I do not spending on things that benefit me.
                          I stand corrected. It does list for $400. I just thought $600 off the top of my head when I posted this thread.
                          Last edited by rynosback; 01-24-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Budget in building our rig is not a factor. If something works well and we want it, we will get it. And if it saves us money down the road it is a BONUS. I do not spend like money grows on trees, but I do not spending on things that benefit me.
                            I stand corrected. It does list for $400. I just thought $600 off the top of my head when I posted this thread.
                            So it's like $275.. Installed..Cheap enough.
                            2015 Lexington MS
                            2015 Hyundai Elantra

Comment

we have it. Seems to works pretty well as long as the park wifi is decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X