Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A not very quick story that may help others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A not very quick story that may help others.

Sorry to those that saw this post on Facebook but since that was in the DRV closed group I thought it may be more helpful to post on the general forum here.

A not very quick story that may help others.
    We ordered and purchased a new 2016 DRV last spring. We spent a lot of time and energy on model, options and dealer selection. We worked with three dealers directly, one of which fell out of consideration by disregarding my stated concerns over towing capacity and trailer weights and tried steering me into what I KNOW would have put me in an overweight situation. We ultimately made our dealer choice based on how responsive the dealer was to email/phone communication. One dealer was very responsive to all communications and one was in my opinion rather slow to respond which made me think they really didn’t want my business.
    Big. Mistake.
    While the dealer we selected were very fine people, they really didn’t give me the time of day once we arrived at their location to do our PDI – until it was time to pay them. On top of that, items identified during PDI took exactly 5 days to get corrected, while we waited, and others who arrived after us were taken care of and on their way before we were. Additionally, their service department was unable to correct an alignment problem with a slide which necessitated two 700 mile trips back and forth to the “factory overflow” facility to correct.
    Enter the other dealer I thought didn’t want my business.
    I met the other dealer at the RGV SOITC luncheon (where by the way she picked up the tab for the entire group). I introduced myself by saying I was sorry I hadn’t purchased our rig from her, and that I was SORRY I hadn’t purchased from her. I explained that we still had a few issues that needed to be addressed under warranty and asked if she would be willing to take care of those. Without hesitation she handed me her card and suggested I call to schedule an appointment about a month before we would be in her area.
    In late March I reached out to them via email to provide a list of warranty items that needed to be corrected and to schedule an appointment. As before, communications were a bit on the slow side and I did have to check back once or twice to make sure everything was still on target for our visit.
    Last week was our appointment.
    We arrived at the dealers location mid-afternoon and had to wait a bit for someone to greet us and let us know where they wanted the rig. They were tied up with another customer finishing up paperwork on delivery of a new rig and obviously needed to give that their undivided attention.
    Hmm. Small shop. Busy folks. Customer focused.
    After initial re-introductions we were led to the parking area, given the plan for the next day’s appointment and we set up for the evening’s stay. We were then invited to join them for dinner.
    Hmm. Very nice touch. Friendly. Personable.
    Later that evening we enjoyed a great Mexican dinner and conversation. Upon returning to the dealership we got a nice tour of the grounds and a look at one of the brand new custom rigs in the lot. (Oh-oh…)
    Hmm. Long work day for these folks.
    We were also handed a CD to watch to see how they conduct their customer new-rig walk through.
    Hmm. Very thorough compared to what we experienced with our dealer. Really knows their product. We learned several things that we did not know even after living in the rig for 6 months.
    The next morning they arrive to take our rig in a bit before the scheduled time, and explain that they may be delayed a bit due to a satellite problem with a new rig that was supposed to be leaving that morning. Completely understandable delay but it leaves me a bit uncomfortable that the repairs we needed could still be completed in one day as planned. About 45 minutes later I see the new rig headed for the open road and they show up to take ours into the service bay.
    Hmm. These folks are really busy.
    At this point we are shown to the ‘customer lounge’ which quite naturally is a very comfortable DRV unit with WiFi access so that I could get some work done while waiting for repairs to be finished. At around five in the afternoon we get the report that all of the repairs had been completed and that just to be safe we needed to wait to hit the road until noon or so the following day to allow for proper epoxy drying time on one of the repairs. The rig had already been returned to the overnight area and we were then again, invited to dinner.
    We returned to our rig to find each and every repair completed professionally, expertly, and better than what we had expected based on previous experience with our dealer.
    Hmm. Exceptional Service and we didn’t even buy from them.
    We enjoyed dinner that evening with the dealer and her grandson. She asked about our rig and the options we had built in. She asked about and explained other options that we had never been told about. And then she popped THE question. She asked why I had gone with the other dealer. As honestly as I could, I explained that it was not about price. It was entirely due to my perception from the missed emails and phone calls they did not want my business and the other one did. We talked about several potential opportunities for improving communication that would not add to their overall workload but would let the customer know communications were received and would be returned in a reasonable/realistic time frame. When we finished dinner she took us on a nice car tour of the surrounding area.
    Hmm. Detail oriented. Concerned enough to ask. Listens to what I have to say. No excuses offered. Trying to improve.
    Later that evening we sat around the campfire and enjoyed the company of new friends. It must have been around 9PM when it was time for her to take her grandson in for a bath, and get him to bed. Her daughter had had surgery and she was helping out by watching her grandson. Then as she said, it was back to work to get ready for the next day.
    Hmm. Perhaps I am a bit slow but things are now coming into focus.
    After spending the next morning working in the customer lounge once again, we are assured around noon that everything looked good and the rig was ready to hit the road. We had talked about several additions we were considering the night before, and although we didn’t want to interrupt them as they were very busy they took time away from working on another rig to go over those with us in detail.
    We loaded up and made our way to the dump station to empty tanks. While there the dealer stepped away from a customer to say good-bye, exchange hugs and wish us safe-travels.
    Hmm. Really makes you feel like you are part of the ‘family’.
    So what did we learn that may help others?
    If you were looking for a dealer and someone described one that had the following traits:
    Small shop – family business
    Customer focused
    Detail oriented
    Concerned enough to ask
    Listens to what I have to say
    Really knows their product
    Gracious
    Inviting
    Friendly
    Personable
    Works Long days
    Very thorough
    Exceptional Service
    No excuses
    WOULD YOU LOOK ANY FURTHER?
    Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Had I been aware of all of this I would have made a very different decision. While first impressions are often lasting, they can be off-base. After seeing things first hand I understand why communications may be slow by my usual corporate America standards. These people are extremely busy doing exactly what I would want as a customer; taking exceptional care of their customers.
    For those of you who may considering a new unit, upgrades or need expert better-than-factory service I would highly recommend you call “my” dealer – Alicia and Slade at Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK. You will be completely satisfied, thrilled with the results and warmly welcomed to the ‘family’.
    2016 MS 41RSSB4 #7997
    2015 Chevy 3500 DRW

X2 on what you said. We didn't buy our 2012 there but have gone there exclusively for service and have been very satisfied.
    Jan & Thomas
    2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
    2012 Ford F350
    Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

Times 3 on what you said. We bought ours there in November and they have been a dream come true for us. Love Alicia and Slade!!

Joe

Comment

I gave the exact same email to Alicia and RV's for less in late 2014 saying we wanted to order a Elite like the one RV's for less had on their lot at the time with a few mods. Neither responded right away. Alicia did and apologized profusely. I think it was a family emergency that delayed her response. Still I have NOT received a reply from RV's for Less. I even called them a bit later and asked for more pics of the RV on their lot. The guy was very nice and said no problem it would be a couple days because it had been raining and wanted to get a pic with the sun shining. To this date NO pictures.

So after talking and emailing several times we left NW WA on 1/1/15 and headed to Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK and met with Alicia for three days and ordered our new RV. We really liked her attention to detail as my wife and I are very picky people.

Yes they took us to Mexican Dinner!

A couple days ago we stayed in Foss, OK a few miles from her and let her know we were around. She had a customer that wanted to see our paint scheme in person so it was a great coincidence we happened to let her know we were near by. They came over and checked out the rig and it was great to see Alicia!

I have told her she needs to be cloned!
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

IShootSharpSix,
          I recently picked up my '05 that I had left at RR for a list of maintenance items that it needed prior to our AK trip in June. After reading your post above, I now more clearly understand why they aren't the most active on the internet/emails/texts--just too busy taking care of customers. There was not one item on my list that was not addressed, and actually more was done that they noticed was needed. It is a 5-hour drive to get to Elk City, and I will do it again without hesitation when I need work done.
          Thank you for a well-written/well-thought-out post that surely will help other DRV owners decide on where to have repair/warranty work done.
          Joe
          2005 36TK3 #1869
          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
            I gave the same exact email to RV's for less in late 2014 saying we wanted to order a Elite like the one RV's for less had on their lot at the time with a few mods. Neither responded right away. Still I have NOT received a reply from RV's for Less. I even called them a bit later and asked for more pics of the RV on their lot. The guy was very nice and said no problem it would be a couple days because it had been raining and wanted to get a pic with the sun shining. To this date NO pictures.
            Not surprised. We bought our previous unit there in 2011. We are still waiting for our first email or phone call asking us how we like our new rig. Ha

Joe

Comment

Poor service seems to be a common thread within the RV industry.
              We ordered ours through Ocala, FL DRV dealer America Choice. The ONLY thing we received from them was a fair price on our unit. It took the 30 days to PDI our unit, with them finally saying you might be better off going to the factory for the remainder of the PDI list. Indeed we are headed to Howe in June. DRV has been awesome with the urgent repairs while we are on the road.
              I will not buy a sewer hose from America Choice or accept a free one from them. DRV has a list of the issues we had with them.
              My blood pressure goes up each time I think of this.
              The one thing many seem to do is take what should be an exciting event in your life and ruin it with lies and misrepresnetations. They don't understand the premice of candor and not giving false expectations.
              Enough of my rant.
              We love our unit, warts and all... And yes we would buy another DRV, just not in Ocala.
              David Gueterman
              2016 ES Houston
              2016 Ford F-450

Comment

After reading this post it sure makes us feel better on our decision to buy our new 2017 LX455 Full House from Rolling Retreats. We live in Mesa, AZ and had concerns with buying out of state, but to make things easier, Alicia and Slade have agreed to drive out to Mesa and deliver our trailer at the house. We are trading in our 38RSB3 and they will be taking it back to Elk City with them. So for now we are anxiously awaiting the build of our new trailer.
                Dan and Rene'

2015 Ford F450 Lariat
                2015 MS 38RSB3 #7329

Comment

Originally posted by dmowreys View Post
                  After reading this post it sure makes us feel better on our decision to buy our new 2017 LX455 Full House from Rolling Retreats. We live in Mesa, AZ and had concerns with buying out of state, but to make things easier, Alicia and Slade have agreed to drive out to Mesa and deliver our trailer at the house. We are trading in our 38RSB3 and they will be taking it back to Elk City with them. So for now we are anxiously awaiting the build of our new trailer.
                  When we first contacted multiple dealers for a quote on a new unit, it was in 2012. They both responded, but was very unhappy with the trade-in value with the Knoxville dealer. So after finally deciding we'd wait a bit until the next year, we chose Rolling Retreats only to get a quote. We ordered it while in MN and had expected it finished about the time we were leaving, but after a few months DH was sent to MO on a short project. Then we heard we'd be going to TN next, but that project fell through and we ended up in Dodge City, KS. Fortunate for us, because they didn't have to deliver it to us and we got to spend some quality time (3+ days) moving our junk between the old and new unit. Was a fantastic experience and if we were to ever buy again, it would be with them.

They have also treated us well After the Sale. The other 2 DRV dealers for the 2006 ES and 2009 MS dropped DRV lines and we never went back for service. While it's a long drive to Elk City, it's right on the way to places we've needed to go to, so would continue to use them for service.
                  Vickie & David
                  SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                  Alicia - Custom kitchen
                  2014 F450 KR 4x4
                  Titan 65g tank
                  2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

I love to see such stories. I think Jo and I introduced Alicia and Slade (as Rolling Retreats) quite some time back. We've long felt that they were great people with EXCEPTIONAL customer relations skills. Oddly enough, when we first encountered them, they were not "new" DRV dealers, but were buying used DRV's at auctions and refurbishing them for resale. We would have purchased from them, but they didn't have the floor plan we wanted, so we had to have a special order made by an Oklahoma City dealer that ended up having to drop the DRV line.

Alicia and Slade did install our buffet style dining table since Jo wanted one of those instead of the regular 2010 table and four chairs. We paid for the buffet, and when time came, we pulled our coach over to their place to have it installed. Slade spent 5 hours getting it in and doing the job right (we helped extend the time with all our visiting back and forth) and then he refused to let us pay him for his labor. I told Jo to write out a check for what she thought it was worth. Slade then told me, "You can make me take the check, but you can't make me cash it."

Later, when we decided to replace the RV refrigerator with a residential, Slade wanted to come over and help us to modify the slide for the new Samsung. He put in a lot of work that day as well and again refused to take payment. So, we gave him the old RV fridge to do with as he wished. I think he really wanted to help so he would know what to do if someone else wanted to put in a residential.

I literally can't say enough good things about Alicia and Slade. Plus, it thrills me to see that SOITC's Annual International Rally will be in Elk City, Oklahoma in 2018. While that's a ways away, we might have to figure out a way to attend and to have the opportunity to meet a lot of SOITC members that we've befriended online.

Terry
                    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                    2008 Ford F450
                    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I am also looking forward to 2018. That is the area my Dad grew up and we used to vacation as a kid. We just stopped for two days a couple weeks ago and stayed at the Foss Dam State Park.

This will be a BIG deal for Alicia and Slade. Very happy for them.

Just a few minutes ago a couple stopped by and were very unhappy with the service from a Texas dealer they bought a 44' Houston from. No after sale support. They can't get into the factory for a while. sounds like Paul Cross will help them out and squeeze them in for a few hours. I told them to get with Alicia and Slade since they will be going past RR on their way to AZ.
                      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Just want to confirm all the good things said about Alicia and Slade. Would not buy from anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by dmowreys View Post
                          Take my advice, as I have gone thru this whole ordering and going to DRV for warranty. Be prepared to sit at RR until the RV is "PERFECT" and don't pay a penny until it is right. This has NOTHING to do with RR, they are GREAT. It's to do with Ed Fry of DRV. He is the man of NO when it comes to anything that is not an easy fix and will not approve it's repair at a later date.

I have a lift up quartz top at the oven that the reveals are HORRIBLE!!! Ed would not fix, I did get Chad to send me an over sized pc that I can have a contractor I know remove the ill fitting top and cut to size the new pc. I should NOT have to do this.

I have a pantry that is WAY out of square and he would NOT do a thing about it.

I had our RV delivered to us and was not able to be at RR for a PDI. I figured it was not a big deal since DRV would take care anything that was wrong.

Ed said he has seen worse in Million dollar homes so our problems were within their standards. I was not quick enough or I should have said well then their and your standards are pretty low.

I told ED I guess I can't force you to take care of these two glaring items as I have no leverage since the RV is paid for, I did say I only have "MY WORD" !!! That is what I am using to let anyone know how to deal with this type of problem.

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Working...
                          X