Instant Hot Water Heater Pros/Cons Input Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Hot Water Heater Pros/Cons Input Please

We own a 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Cincinnati and are wanting to switch over to an instant water heater, either Truma or Suburban. Any feedback would be appreciated for those who have had good/bad experience with either of these, and which model numbers to either look for or stay away from. Finally a good source to buy from if we decide to go in that direction. Thanks for your input!
    Ken & Kyle Vonfeldt
    2013 F350DRW, Crew Cab
    2016 Mobile Suites Cincinnati 43, custom order. #7958

I'm also considering this on our 2017 38RSSA. Are you considering it for the whole unit or just under a kitchen or bathroom sink?

Comment

It would be for the whole unit. We customized our unit with a bathtub in our rig, and I would like to be able to have enough hot water to be able to use it.
      Ken & Kyle Vonfeldt
      2013 F350DRW, Crew Cab
      2016 Mobile Suites Cincinnati 43, custom order. #7958

Comment

I can tell you so far I love the Truma in our new 2017 40KSSB4. It works great. The factory installation has a recirculation feature that keeps the hot water at the shower head when you turn the head off during water conservation showers. In my old 5er with the standard RV water heater, we always had to wait a few seconds after turning the shower head back on to get hot water again. It made for some interesting contortions to avoid the blast of cold you would sometimes get. Not anymore. I don't know if this recirculation feature can be installed aftermarket though due to the plumbing requirements. I also really like the fact we can run a load of laundry, a load of dishes and take multiple showers without having to wait for the water heater to recover between each one (obviously when we have hook ups to deal with the amount of water needed to do this). I am a convert and will never go back.
        2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
        2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Heiser View Post
          I can tell you so far I love the Truma in our new 2017 40KSSB4. It works great. The factory installation has a recirculation feature that keeps the hot water at the shower head when you turn the head off during water conservation showers. In my old 5er with the standard RV water heater, we always had to wait a few seconds after turning the shower head back on to get hot water again. It made for some interesting contortions to avoid the blast of cold you would sometimes get. Not anymore. I don't know if this recirculation feature can be installed aftermarket though due to the plumbing requirements. I also really like the fact we can run a load of laundry, a load of dishes and take multiple showers without having to wait for the water heater to recover between each one (obviously when we have hook ups to deal with the amount of water needed to do this). I am a convert and will never go back.
          How long does it take to get hot water to the shower head or the kitchen sink when first turning it on? We had a 2017 40KSSB4 with the Truma, it was my understanding that the water would circulate and you would have instant hot water. We do not. We have unlimited hot water once it gets hot at the faucets but have to waste a gallon of water or so each time we take a shower, or do dishes.
          2016 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab Dually, LTZ
          2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4 highly Elited

Sold: 2006 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball969 View Post

How long does it take to get hot water to the shower head or the kitchen sink when first turning it on? We had a 2017 40KSSB4 with the Truma, it was my understanding that the water would circulate and you would have instant hot water. We do not. We have unlimited hot water once it gets hot at the faucets but have to waste a gallon of water or so each time we take a shower, or do dishes.
            I am still learning about our new rig, but our experience has not been the same. While it does take a few seconds for hot water to reach a particular faucet, we do not waste a gallon of water or so as you describe. If the particular faucet has not been used for a while, the cool/cold water sitting in the line will be pushed out by hot water to get the hot water to the faucet. This is only a few feet of 1/2 inch line and is not a lot of water.

I have learned that the recirculation feature is not what I thought it was. I have spoken to Truma and DRV about this. Because of the water manifold system DRV uses, the Truma full recirculation feature cannot be installed. The Truma recirculation feature assumes the hot water system is one large circuit like in a typical RV. In other words, every hot water outlet is on the same line, one after the other. Then at the end of the line a return line would be installed to come back to the Truma and a recirculation pump would keep hot water circulating in the system to give you instant, endless hot water at each faucet/output. DRV's manifold system does not allow this. Each hot water faucet/output is individually run from the manifold in a DRV. This is advantageous because if there is an issue or a leak in a particular circuit it can be isolated from the rest of the system and still allow all the other circuits to function. It, however, prevents hot water from being recirculated throughout the system because it is not one continuous circuit and a single return line cannot be installed. As a result, in a DRV the Truma only recirculates water between the burner and the temperature stabilizer tank. When a hot water faucet is opened, hot water is the pushed out to that faucet. If the faucet has not been used recently, the water standing in the line must be pushed out ahead of it. If the faucet has been used recently, the water in the line will still be hot/warm and will take much less time (if any) to come up to temperature. As I described above, when taking a shower and turning off the shower head to lather, etc and then turning it back on to rinse, the water is instantly/continuously hot throughout the shower. This is because the water coming from the Truma is very hot and stays hot in the line long enough to allow the flow to be interrupted for short periods of time without significantly cooling.
            2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
            2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

Just adding another thumbs up for the Truma AquaGo. We've been using ours full time for a yr. (ES-38RSSA) now with not a single problem or complaint. The Truma does exactly what it's supposed to do. No issues with shutting water on / off or gas supply interruptions. No issues during cold or sub-freezing weather just insure that the selector switch is in the comfort setting and not econo. LPG consumption is very good considering the luxury.
              In reference to the above comments the comfort setting keeps a small reservoir (in the unit) of water warm for immediate use. This is apposed to the Econ. setting that allows the LPG burner heat exchanger only to warm supply the water upon flow demand. Great Product well engineered. 5/5* Pros, does what it claims. Cons, none as far as function. I've read that cost can be of concern for those doing a retrofit as Truma only allows dealer installs of the product, no DIY.

OP: I've not read many glowing reviews or spoken to others about competitors on demand products. The Atwood reviews are very dismal.

FWIW: I'm still investigating the need for cleaning the heat exchanger in the event one spends extended periods in areas with poor water quality (very hard water). We winter in AZ in a region with very hard water (650 ppm) TDS. We've not experience any issues yet but I'd suspect it's possible. Filtration, softening, R.O. topics etc. in another thread perhaps?
              There is an optional inside control panel that has a clean setting on it that ours is not equipped with. I have purchased a blister pack of cleaning tablets from Truma as a preventive measure but I have not fully investigated the cleaning procedure with our supplied unit.
              Anyone else have any experience with the cleaning function?

Thanks, and be well.

J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
              DRV Suites, ES-38RSSA (19,6K+9,2K=28,8KGCVW)
              GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW

J & J
              DRV Suites, ES-38RSSA #9679
              GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW
              EZGo-txt, ClubCar Precedent

Comment

I love my Truma on my 2015 model. i have it set on Economy, uses very little propane, and i have hot water in shower in just a few seconds. Love this system.
                Laurie, Gary
                Pebbles and Pixie (Japanese Chin)
                2015 3500 Ram Longhorn 4x4
                2015 Drv MS 39DBRS3 #7704- pick up 4-24-15

Comment

A few questions for those that have the Truma:
                  1) What’s the cost of the Truma unit?
                  2) Does it fit in the factory location
                  3) For the mechanically inclined, is it a straightforward install process?

thanks,
                  David

Comment

Working...
                  X