One ply or RV Tp which do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One ply or RV Tp which do you use?

Our manual from DT says we can use one ply toilet paper. I always thought the RV paper you buy at camping world degrads better. Anyone use one ply, and have you ever had a problem with it breaking down in the black tank?
    Dave & Linda
    sigpic
    Sadie, our spoiled poodle
    2015 RESP4 Mobile Suite
    2011 F350 DRW

"Each day is a gift"

We use Scott's from Wally World, because they sell it cheaper. Haven't had a problem with the black tank in the suite. Our 2000 Avion sensors never showed empty but it had sat for several years before we bought it and no one probably cleaned the black tank very well. If you post this on the 5th wheel forum there will probably be thousands more that agree with me.
    Jan & Thomas
    2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
    2012 Ford F350
    Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

Actually, when we first got our rv, hubby started in with this topic. My - shall we say - "delicate" posterior was already getting worried... So after stating that it was a concern of mine, he started doing research. Long story short, he ended up at a plumber's forum where they were discussing the length of time any given brand took to break down. Our favorite "Charmin Ultra Soft" (obviously as I gave my preference earlier) was rated as only 70 seconds. I don't know where he originally found it, but I think the link or the basic info came from the escapees forum. Anyway, even if the rv paper dissolves a tad quicker (and one thing I heard in a rv rally stated that it doesn't break down worth a hoot anyway), it's such a minor thing with only 70 seconds that I can keep using my favorite (cheaper than rv) toilet paper. They said the test is to take a quart jar, fill it half full with water, drop in a couple sheets of TP, cap and shake. This will tell you how well it breaks up. So if you are like me and skeptical (to say the least) that rv paper isn't just an over inflated price gouge for crappy paper (pun intended), then try it with the rv paper, then try it with your favorite brand. If you're still curious - google it! I'm happy as heck with the fact that my paper and I will still be close!
      sigpic

Richard & Sharon (along with Harley & Scruffy, the most personable cats ever!)
      2011 Elite Suites (customized Denver floor plan) picture taken at our S&B in CO
      2005 Freightliner Century by 2L Custom Trucks, Texas
      Truck "swooshes" by Precision Paint, Indiana

Comment

In the begining we use only RV TP from Camping World about a year later we started using Angel Soft, have never had a issue.. Simple test is to tear off a sheet and drop it in water, the faster it disolves the better. Good Luck......
        Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
        2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

I am with kingskids on this one. We used White Cloud for many years with a septic system and when we started full timing stayed with it. White Cloud is what Charmin Ultra used to was. I installed septic systems for many years and always recommended it for use in home septic systems simply because it did break down so fast and so completely. I have dug up many a system that was all stuffed up with other brands of TP over the years i worked on them.

I have owned RV's since the early 1960's and have never bought a single roll of the overinflated priced RV toilet paper, and to date have never had a black tank stopped up because of TP.

Happy RVing.

Comment

We just use Angel Soft from Wally World. In a "water test' it is one of the fastest to dissolve. It breaks down fine and is cheap.
            Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
            2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Remember the old "onion skin" typing paper from the "old days"? Well, that's what "crappy" tp reminds me of - almost "crinkly" and NOT soft and easy on the body if ya know what I mean. Nice to hear confirmation that our research was valid! I just can't make myself pay more for a yucky paper that I hate! Thanks for your "expert witness testimony" junglejim.
              sigpic

Richard & Sharon (along with Harley & Scruffy, the most personable cats ever!)
              2011 Elite Suites (customized Denver floor plan) picture taken at our S&B in CO
              2005 Freightliner Century by 2L Custom Trucks, Texas
              Truck "swooshes" by Precision Paint, Indiana

Comment

Take this for what it is worth as I've done little actual research. When we got our 2010 Mobile Suites, one of the things I noticed in the manuals was a notation on the toilet manufacturer paper. That notation was that they specifically targeted Charmin Ultra as a product NOT to use. However, as they didn't specify between Ultra "Strong" and Ultra "Soft", I still did the TP Shake test on the Ultra Soft and the Angel Soft.

With one sheet in what I think was a pint jar, I did three shakes with both. Angel Soft broke up easily but I had to do more shakes (roughly 6 or 8) to get the Charmin Ultra Soft to reach the same stage of "breakup".

However, I have a related question. Since most people tend to dump their tanks prior to traveling, what value is the shake test? I mean, if not traveling to "shake" the toilet paper, how does the test be of any value. Would it be better to put the paper in a glass jar and just let it set until it broke down? Or, would the act of dumping the black tank be enough to break up the TP?

I also have some sensitivity and hated to give up our Ultra Soft. My issue is with the "H" word. (Think "Hem....hem...hem.)

Terry
                Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                2008 Ford F450
                2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We have a clear elbow attached to our dump valve and I watch when dumping the black tank and to date have never seen any clumps of paper come out and as I said above, only used WhiteCloud aka Charmin Ultra. All I ever see even in one OOPS when the clear elbow was not connected properly was tiny white specs in the mess I had to clean up. Lime is a wonderful thing. LOL

Happy RVing.

Comment

Hi, I know this thread is old but I was wondering, do you folks think that you can use Scott's Toilet paper in our new Tradition?? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RichieP View Post
                      Hi, I know this thread is old but I was wondering, do you folks think that you can use Scott's Toilet paper in our new Tradition?? Thanks
                      Walmart sells Scott's RV toilet paper in their RV supplies aisle. Fairly inexpensive too.

Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron & Maureen

Comment

For us it simply doesn't matter.
                          1. We optioned up for the exterior tank sensors which are now standard on Elites. On of the issues with tp not dissolving is that it hangs around on your tank level sensors. So, now there is no problem.
                          2. Because of floor plan, we have a macerating toilet. That baby blows it all to pieces. We too have the clear fitting and there are no solids exiting our black tank.

Enjoy the go:-)
                          Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
                          Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
                          2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Yes, the best price seems to be at CVS. They have it on sale there all the time for $6.99.
                            Jan & Thomas
                            2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
                            2012 Ford F350
                            Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

We also use Angel soft.. from walmart.. Though dealer says you can use what ever, as long as you put the stuff in it..

3 dumps so far.. not a problem seen..
                              2013 3500 RAM DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisen , 4.10 , Longbox
                              2015 Lexington MS
                              2015 Hyundai Elantra

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X