Carpet Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Care

Just bought a 2012 MS RESB3 and it has what I call the short shag carpet. Any words of advice as to how to keep it like new. Vacuuming everyday keeps it pretty, but I can't always do that. Hallway, in front of washer/dryer, and bedroom seem to beat down faster than living room. Had hoped to not need scatter rugs, but looks like I might not have a choice.

We bought a carpet rake at Lowes. Not all of them carry them but they can order them. It has little plastic teeth that will raise the matted down carpet. Plus it helps lift any dirt or debris. We always rake the rug just prior to vacuuming and use it for touch ups.
    Dave and Maxine
    http://wanderingwingers.blogspot.com/
    2010 Mobile Suites 38rssb3
    2010 Ford F450
    2008 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will go to Lowes tomorrow and purchase this carpet rake. I've been fighting the upstairs carpet since new and was disappointed with it but maybe this will help.
      sigpic

Jerry & Jeri #4998
      2009 38TKSB3
      2010 3500HD LTZ 4X4
      Louisiana Travelers

Comment

In both our Suites, we've covered our main living area with a 5X7 area rug and a runner from front door to living rm. The Elite's light carpet looked brand new after close to 3 yrs of work boots and multiple shoes tromping on them. So does the mini-shag (frieze) after well over 3 years of fulltime living.

David did have to do 2 cutouts for the heat registers, which helps hold it in place. After sitting for a few months, before we pull in the slides, I roll up the area rugs and vacuum. Then vacuum the sawdust and debris left from pulling in the slides. Rugs protect so well after vacuuming with our Oreck, they still look brand new. Plus adds more color!

We're on our 2nd set of rugs. This set was on sale in the Home Depot parking lot and it blends better with the brown carpet that shows up around the edges.
        Vickie & David
        SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
        Alicia - Custom kitchen
        2014 F450 KR 4x4
        Titan 65g tank
        2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Don't know about the 2012 models, but our 2005 carpet looked and felt like gunny sacks on the floor, I think they called it Berber. We went to a carpet store, bought some good carpet and had it installed throughout the suite, still looks great and no problems after five years.

Were we to buy a new suite now we would check the carpet out before the RV was built and if they still use the inferior carpet we would order it with vinyl floors and then put down good carpet.

Happy RVing.

Comment

JungleJim

How much problem was it getting the carpet installed under the slide outs? I too would like to pitch the drv carpet for something of better quality.

Jack

Comment

We had initially purchased a Tyson canister vacuum because it would fit in the bottom of the towel cabinet in the bathroom. While it fit the space nicely, the vacuum didn't live up to Jo's expectations. She said that the lack of sufficient suction would let the head "jump" as it was run across the carpet.

Yesterday, we bought a Shark Navigator upright. While it has to reside in the bedroom closet because of its height, Jo was impressed with how much better it vacuumed as well as lifting the fibers for cleaning. She went to clean it this afternoon and was impressed again with how much the vacuum picked up. It really exceeded the Tyson's abilities.

She also said it was easier to work with around the bed.

If it is that much easier, maybe I need to do the vacuuming for her.

Terry
              Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
              2008 Ford F450
              2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We have the built in system in our MS and I purchased a power head for it a couple of years ago. That and a couple of runners in front of the dining area along with the DW reminding me to take off my shoes works well.
                sigpic
                Gary and Penny
                2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
                2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Comment

Terry,

If you do the vacuuming we need pics!!!!!!
                  Be sure to wear the molly maid apron too...lol

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
                  We had initially purchased a Tyson canister vacuum because it would fit in the bottom of the towel cabinet in the bathroom. While it fit the space nicely, the vacuum didn't live up to Jo's expectations. She said that the lack of sufficient suction would let the head "jump" as it was run across the carpet.

Yesterday, we bought a Shark Navigator upright. While it has to reside in the bedroom closet because of its height, Jo was impressed with how much better it vacuumed as well as lifting the fibers for cleaning. She went to clean it this afternoon and was impressed again with how much the vacuum picked up. It really exceeded the Tyson's abilities.

Terry
                  Bruce
                  2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
                  2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

Watch out Terry, it could be a trap.

Fritz

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post

Terry
                    Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
                    2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
                    2007 Dodge Dually

Comment

Hmmm.

I mentioned the above comments to Jo. She's been working on the sewing machine lately. (She tells me she is working on "Quiet Bags" for church, but now I wonder.)

Terry
                      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                      2008 Ford F450
                      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                      X