Skirting the Suites for up coming winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirting the Suites for up coming winter

Ok, I know its not even summer yet but, we have sold the house and are moving into Suite P in 30 days. I still have about 10 months to work so we'll be spending the winter in the rig. You folks that have spent the winter in your Suites, have you skirted your rig or not. We live in the indianapolis area, and last winter was fairly mild
    Don & Gayle
    Tucker & Mooch
    2008 F450
    2008 36RSSB3
    http://atgbye.wordpress.com/

We've never skirted ours. But we do hard pipe the sewer and use pipe insulatation and heat tape on the water hose.

We've wintered in our MS since new in Gainesville.VA, Mt Airy.NC (worst winter in 40 yrs according to locals), College Park.MD and last winter in Moscow Mills, MO.
    Vickie & David
    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
    Alicia - Custom kitchen
    2014 F450 KR 4x4
    Titan 65g tank
    2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

It doesn't get as cold here in Oklahoma City, at least not on a continuous basis. We wintered last year with about 25 degrees being the coldest temperature. No skirting, but I did wrap, insulate, and use heat tape around both water lines (supply and black tank flush) and then all that into a 4 inch PVC pipe. We also used the EZE Kleen Sewer System so that I didn't have to use a stinky-slinky that could have frozen up solid.

We were definitely comfortable. We used electric heaters and the fireplace to heat the coach each evening after work and then I turned off the fireplace and living room portable heater when I went to bed to allow the furnace for the rear to run and keep the underbelly warm as well. (We have the Canadian Package.)

Now, having said all that, the RV park next door has several units that wintered last year and some of them skirted. However, none were Suites.

Terry
      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
      2008 Ford F450
      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

If staying in a park check to see what their rules are on skirting. If staying elsewhere, family-friends, you could get 1x1 wood and the 4x8 sheets of styrofoam board and fashion some skirting. Do not use hay/straw or any other such materials unless you want mice or other creepy crawlers visiting, they need to stay warm too. If you are paying for your electric or propane you need to do something to cut costs. Do not be fooled by the past winter, cold air and wind blowing under your trailer makes your heating costs go up.
        Tom & Judy
        2011 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide Born 6/15/2011 FOR SALE SOLD

2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 4x4 SOLD
        sigpic States stayed in while fulltiming

Comment

Originally posted by Don9337 View Post
          Ok, I know its not even summer yet but, we have sold the house and are moving into Suite P in 30 days. I still have about 10 months to work so we'll be spending the winter in the rig. You folks that have spent the winter in your Suites, have you skirted your rig or not. We live in the indianapolis area, and last winter was fairly mild
          Don, we are also in the Indianapolis area.( Mooresville) We are near our daughter's home in a RV park. Where are you located?
          We may be staying in Indiana through the winter this year also. May be helping out with the new granddaughter ,while our daughter is at work 2 days a week.

If we stay then I will be looking into the skirting also. I would think it would help a lot. As was mentioned above, I like the foam board for skirting too.

Take Care,
          Oscar
          2010 MS 36tk3 #5294
          17.5" tires and wheels
          rear camera
          Level Up system
          TrailAir C/P susp.
          Tri-Glide pin box
          2007 Chevy dually diesel
          Pressure Pro tire monitor
          Curt Q 20k
          Banks Speedbrake
          Tekonsha P3 controller
          7" Rand McNally RV GPS
          Hypertech Max Energy
          Fold-a-cover
          Oscar and Reta
          Fulltimers

Comment

If anyone here is interested, I have some 40"X43" white Styrofoam sheets that are 6" thick. they can be cut with a saws all and would be perfect for skirting a trailer for winter. I have 29 sheets which would easily do one rig. We are located between Columbus and Springfield Ohio and they are free for the taking. PM me if interested.
            Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
            2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Two years ago when we wintered in Northeast Nebraska, the range of temps were from 42 below up to 20 above for most of the winter with about 4 feet of snow. I went to Home Depot and got the pink 2 inch foam sheets. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the 5er and added a half inch. After cutting out, I forced the sheet under the 5er. I only used gorilla tape on the seams between the sheets, I did not put any on the 5er. I then cut the sheets to fit all around the slides. Then I used the tape on the top side and along the ends of the slides. We only used a small heater in the bedroom and the fireplace. It was really cozy in the 5er all winter. For the sewer, I used PVC tubing and did not have a problem. I have a heated hose for water and never froze up. The cost of the sheets were around $100 total. The sheets had an R-value of 10.
              Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
              2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
              2007 Dodge Dually

Comment

Originally posted by orkirk View Post
                Don, we are also in the Indianapolis area.( Mooresville) We are near our daughter's home in a RV park. Where are you located?
                We may be staying in Indiana through the winter this year also. May be helping out with the new granddaughter ,while our daughter is at work 2 days a week.

If we stay then I will be looking into the skirting also. I would think it would help a lot. As was mentioned above, I like the foam board for skirting too.

Take Care,
                Oscar
                Hey Oscar,

We'll be staying at Lake Haven off 37. I have to work thru this winter and then we'll be heading for parts unknown.......

Don
                Don & Gayle
                Tucker & Mooch
                2008 F450
                2008 36RSSB3
                http://atgbye.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Don9337 View Post
                  Hey Oscar,

We'll be staying at Lake Haven off 37. I have to work thru this winter and then we'll be heading for parts unknown.......

Don
                  Don, you're not far from us. We are between Monrovia and Mooresville. I'll get in touch with a pm soon. I need to go to Illinois to see my parents this week though.
                  Maybe we can get together sometime.
                  Take Care,
                  Oscar
                  2010 MS 36tk3 #5294
                  17.5" tires and wheels
                  rear camera
                  Level Up system
                  TrailAir C/P susp.
                  Tri-Glide pin box
                  2007 Chevy dually diesel
                  Pressure Pro tire monitor
                  Curt Q 20k
                  Banks Speedbrake
                  Tekonsha P3 controller
                  7" Rand McNally RV GPS
                  Hypertech Max Energy
                  Fold-a-cover
                  Oscar and Reta
                  Fulltimers

Comment

Originally posted by RickandJaniceBinns View Post
                    If anyone here is interested, I have some 40"X43" white Styrofoam sheets that are 6" thick. they can be cut with a saws all and would be perfect for skirting a trailer for winter. I have 29 sheets which would easily do one rig. We are located between Columbus and Springfield Ohio and they are free for the taking. PM me if interested.
                    I can’t believe no one jumped all over those free, 6” thick styrofoam sheets you had. I sure would have.

David

Comment

Originally posted by David&Sheryll View Post

I can’t believe no one jumped all over those free, 6” thick styrofoam sheets you had. I sure would have.

David
                      No one on here was interested back then but I did have a neighbor take them to insulate his pole barn. We've been full time since shortly after that and have been wintering in the south. Now due to health... we need to spend another winter in Ohio and sure wish I could come across some of these now.
                      Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
                      2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Working...
                      X