Utility connections - What is needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility connections - What is needed?

We're newbies, and preparing to hit the road. What do we need to ensure being able to connect to electric, water, and sewer hook-ups? We will be staying mainly in national and state parks and forests. Our DRV came with a 20', 50-amp electric cord, and a 20' sewer line. So far I've bought electrical adapters for connecting to 30-amp and 15-amp outlets, and 50' of white water hose. Should I get another 50-amp cord? Or a 30-amp cord? If so, how long? More sewer line? If so, how much?
    Last edited by lbhenri; 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM. Reason: I forgot to subscribe to e-mail replies.
    Lance & Lorraine
    2009 MS 36TK3 #4782
    2006 F-350 Diesel, CC, SRW, SB
    20K Curt Slider Hitch

Most places you should be OK with what came with the unit. I carry 50' of 50amp electric cord with the adapters and have used it in just a few places. As for water hose I have 50+ feet and have not needed more. Sewer hose I have 30 feet ( 2-15' pieces that screw together) and that has worked well.

Good luck with everything and you can always find answers from someone on the forum.
    sigpicLocation: Enjoying the Cold Weather in Portage MI
    Enjoying the Suite Life!

Mobile Suites: 2012 Custom 43' Atlanta
    Tow Vehicle: 2004 SportChassis

GOD BLESS AMERICA & OUR TROOPS

Comment

You might want to consider getting a 30 amp cord. A lot of the state parks only have 30 amp hook ups and it is much easier to handle the 30 amp cord verses the 50 amp one. I agree on the other stuff. I carry one 15' and one 10' sewer hose, one 25' and one 10' water hose. I have not really had to use all except in some extreme cases but nice to have when needed.
      Rick & Jana
      06 MS 38RL3 #2626 SOLD
      2014 Ram 3500 Big Horn DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisin , 4.10 , Long bed, Curt 20Q hitch
      US Army - Retired Dec 2009

Livin the Dream, Making Memories

Comment

Like army guy, I too carry a 30 amp cord with the 50 amp plug on the suite end.
        I use it almost exclusively when traveling.
        It is soooooo much easier to handle, esp. in the cold mornings.
        When ever I do use the 50 amp. cord while traveling I always say to the DW in the morning,"Well, its time to go wrestle the anaconda".

Another tip is to carry emery boards to clean and test the elec. outlet at the campsite.
        Huck & Dodie
        Bouse, AZ/Franklin, PA
        2005 RE3 MS #2163
        2006 F-350 4X4 CC
        sigpic

Comment

you might want to think about a second hose to use for the sewer flusher, a wye fitting for the spigot for two hoses, a pressure regulator, a 45 degree clear sewer adapter to watch water clarity when flushing the black tank, something to support the sewer line because the line could get damaged if layed on a rough surface like asphalt or gravel. remember you can leave the grey water valve open when parked but DO NOT leave the black valve open.

Comment

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your excellent advice. Maybe we'll see you "on the road."
            Lance & Lorraine
            2009 MS 36TK3 #4782
            2006 F-350 Diesel, CC, SRW, SB
            20K Curt Slider Hitch

Comment

No problem - that is what we are here for. There is a lot of experience on this site from individuals who've been there and done that. I even learned something new - about the emery boards on the contact.
              Rick & Jana
              06 MS 38RL3 #2626 SOLD
              2014 Ram 3500 Big Horn DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisin , 4.10 , Long bed, Curt 20Q hitch
              US Army - Retired Dec 2009

Livin the Dream, Making Memories

Comment

Never ever use your fresh water hose to flush your black tank. Extra sewer hose is a must. And extra connection. I also use quick connects on all my water hoses. GBY....
                Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
                2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

Working...
                X