Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DRV Suite Owners

Hi All,

We picked up our 2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 39RESB3 from RV's For Less in Knoxville, TN about a week and a half ago. It has 4 slides, 2 living room/kitchen, 1 bedroom/laundry, and 1 vanity. It has a rear entertainment and L-shaped couch making it very cozy. We added backup cameras to the top back of truck cab and back of DRV. Back of truck already has it. We also added TireMinder to all the tires.

We spent the first night on their lot, and did the PDI and paperwork the next day. There were a few little minor things, but that is to be expected. These were all fixed right away. Spent over half a day with us, teaching us all about our unit and how to break camp, unhook, drive, turn and back-up the unit. They were willing to spend as much time as we needed.

They put us up for the next 2 nights in Pigeon Forge, TN. I pulled it myself to the campground and backed it up first time into our space. I was accused by one of the women campers of making the other women look bad. Haha. I explained I drove my first motor home at age 16, and have been the primary backer upper of all our RVs and boats for our 32 years of marriage! We loved every minute in it, never a moment of regret!

On the final day we had a little trouble in remembering the breaking camp part but the good people at Creekside Campground came to our rescue and helped us through the whole process. We were very grateful! Once packed up we headed back to our home in Georgia to put her in storage. DH drove first, then me for a while and he finished the journey, expertly backing into our covered rental space first try!! Funny thing is it is actually easier than a boat or jet ski, very weird. Love, love, love, the Level Up system!!!

We won't get our first chance to take her out until end of August or first of September due to other commitments. We already miss being in it and really long for the day we get to hit the road full-time. Meantime, we are getting her all set-up and furnished with all the necessities, focusing at all times on not overloading her.

We have ordered an Idaho Tote and will towing a little Mini Cooper Coupe roadster on it. We will still be under on all of our vehicle weights as long as we don't go crazy loading up the RV, which we are watching carefully. Our total length will be a little over 65' so we will have to be careful to what states we take the Mini Cooper.

Well, that is the end of our first experience story and look forward to many, many years of good fun and great life!

Stephanie
    Stephanie & David

2014 DRV Mobile Estates 39RESB3 #6651
    2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab DRW

Stephanie,

Glad to hear how much you like your new rig. Mary and I have really enjoyed ours. Since you are a fellow Georgian I thought I'd let you know about the eastern region rally. Maybe y'all would like to join us down in Pine Mountain in September. Info and dates are on the suitesowners.com home page under calendar and events.
    Mary and Terry
    2009 ES 38TKSB3 #4907
    2011 F450 King Ranch

Comment

Stephanie,

Welcome to the wonderful life of DRV ownership!!
      sigpic
      Tom (Ret Navy) & Kristi (Ret Navy)
      Daisy & Spanky
      2014 DRV 43 Lexington #6714
      2009 Chevy 3500 Dually CC 4X4 LTZ Duramax/Allison
      2010 MS 38TKSB3 W/4th Slide#5360

Comment

Originally posted by Mary and Terry View Post
        Stephanie,

Glad to hear how much you like your new rig. Mary and I have really enjoyed ours. Since you are a fellow Georgian I thought I'd let you know about the eastern region rally. Maybe y'all would like to join us down in Pine Mountain in September. Info and dates are on the suitesowners.com home page under calendar and events.
        Thanks for the information and invite. I wish we could go. We already have commitments for that time frame that cannot be changed. We definitely plan to go to the one in Sevierville, TN next year. Going forward we will schedule our year around upcoming events. Looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends.
        Stephanie & David

Comment

Congratulations to you both, you'll love that floor plan.
          Many happy camping days ahead.
          Bruce
          2012 MS38RESB3 #6277
          2013 Super Duty F450 KR

Comment

Sounds Wonderful Stephanie!! Congratulations to you and your DH! I hope you have many happy years on the road with your new coach, Hopeful to get to meet you all next year at the rally, Now we just have to find ours! Again, Congratulations, it sounds like a wonderful experience you had, and you have "almost" given me the courage to drive ours when we get it! I know that is something I need to be able to do..

Thanks for all your help also, Take care!
            Karen
            sigpic
            Gary and Karen
            2013 F450 DRW Reese 25k
            2014.5 Elite Suites 38TKSB3 Western Gem #7063
            Scottish Terrier (Scotty) Owner and CEO

Comment

Congrats! My wife also wants the Estates 39RESB3. I want to head up to the Hershey show in September to see the new Cincinnati just to make sure we've looked at everything available before making a final decision. But I have this feeling it will end up being the 39RESB3.
              Jim & Barb
              www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
              2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
              2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
              Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
              Volvo 770
              2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

Stephanie definitely has it right. The longer a trailer is, the easier it is to "navigate" when backing. A trailer and truck that is short will react quicker to turn, thus making it harder to keep the steering of the truck in sync with the trailer. As for towing, the biggest problems come with turning, and if one is alert to the circumstances of the corner, even that can be very easy. My wife, Jo, had no problems with towing our 38TKSB3 on her first time, even though it had been decades since she had towed a trailer when we were on the farm.

Terry
                Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                2008 Ford F450
                2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Hi Stephanie

Congratulations on your new rig. We are brand new ourselves - selling our house and anxious to become fulltimers in a few weeks. I did have a question for you about your Idaho Tote. We have something similar called the Swivelwheel - the same concept as the Idaho tote. We knew in some states it is considered "triple towing" but found out quickly when we reentered NYS that it wasn't allowed. I am curious, since you are from Georgia, one of the states that does not allow triple towing, if you have any information that the Tote is a legal combination there. We are trying to do as much homework as possible before we get on the road to find out where will be allowed to go.

It sounds like we are in very similar situations. We, too, are getting set up and weighing everything to be sure not to overload. Sounds like we'll both be in the road before long. Good Luck!
                  Patty
                  Cliff & Patty

2014 MS 36RSSB3
                  2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD dually Duramax 4x4
                  2010 Kawasaki Concours

Comment

Thanks to all! Karen, you CAN do it! jbbdc, we really love it, but I am sure you will love whatever you end up with. Patty, wish we were headed out full-time, but will not be until end of next year probably. Congrats! We looked at the Swivelwheel, but because we wanted to pull a small car or a motorcycle and ATV they told us the Idaho Tote is the only one that is engineered to do that. It is not considered triple towing since it is bolted onto the RV. We are putting the license plate on the tote and not the RV, unless of course, we take the tote off. It is just very expensive, but it is the only thing we could find to do it without buying a conventional trailer. The only thing we have to watch is the length. We are a couple of feet over 65', and therefore understand that we could possibly encounter problems in some states. We decided we are willing to take the chance and keep a good attitude while we deal with it, if we get called on it.

Stephanie
                    Stephanie & David

Comment

The IdahoTote is a novel idea, but I think you will find that whether or not it it is considered 'towing' is in the mind of the officer that might stop you. As with most DOT rules, what is legal is in eyes/mind of the guy checking you out.
                      I believe I have read on another forum this happened to a member, but it was a custom-made tote. It was bolted to the trailer but still considered 'towing' in the officer's mind. And it could have been length that was the objection.
                      Good luck on this.
                      Joe
                      2005 36TK3 #1869
                      2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Well put Wingnut. I've heard many stories of people being stopped and made to drop the trailer. I know of 2 people towing behind their 5ers in California. 1 was made to stop and drop and the other stopped at a parked trooper and asked if he was legal and was told he was. I know of at least 3 people that tow something behind their 5er and have never been stopped anywhere. I have a swivel wheel trailer and have been told by 1 area of registration that its an extention of my 5er and dosent need plates and another area said that it was not legal because it is not described on the statutes. So get whatever and take your chances!
                        Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
                        2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
                        S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
                        Retired & Full timing

Comment

I hear what you are saying and appreciate the input. All we can do is hope and pray for the best and deal with it graciously if an officer of the law sees it differently. Hopefully, our "My son (son-in-law, nephew) is a police officer" & "I love my sheriff" stickers help! All true!

Stephanie
                          Stephanie & David

Comment

Working...
                          X