Traveling with Greyhounds or other large lovable creatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with Greyhounds or other large lovable creatures

Are there any Greythound lovers traveling the road with these beautiful dogs? Or, are you traveling with other large pets? We have two Greyhounds and I simply cannot part with them. Boarding two greys for extended periods of time is very expensive; in fact often as expensive as nightly camp fees.

Two large dogs in F350 crew cab really doesn't sound like fun. Does anybody travel with pets in the camper? My concern is that Greyhounds have no body fat and cannot tolerate extremes in heat or cold. They are indoor pets both in their working environment and their adopted homes.

Assuming it is legal to have dogs in the tralier: Has anybody experimented with vent options or do you know what the temp in the trailer will rise to in summer? Is anybody running A/C on minimal settings to keep trailer cooler either off generator or inverter?

We are purchasing ES 38RESB3 and will take delivery in November (we hope). Trying to get everything figured out for the people and the pets.

Thanks so much!

Michael
    Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
    Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
    2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Greyhounds really are beautiful dogs, and usually very gentle and loving. Are yours rescue/retired racers?
    I haven't seen many of these in my travels, but many times other large breeds, and multiples of them. The back seat in a 350 is really a lot of room for a dog(s). We have traveled 1000s of miles with 3 small dogs--we tether them to the shoulder harnesses.
    I would NEVER put them in the trailer while traveling--they will be nervous wrecks when you stop. They will be fine in the back seat. You can raise the lower portion of the seats and make them a flat laydown spot-Fords have the tray that folds out if you want to pad that.
    As to leaving them in the trailer--it will not get anywhere near as hot in it as in the truck when parked. We routinely leave ours in the trailer when eating or out for most of the day. If connected to power, then the AC will work fine for them. You do have to be aware of what the high temp might go to. Shade is immensely helpful.
    If not connected to power, then you have a problem in heat, but not so much cold. They will adapt better than you think in cold, if you leave them padding to nest in.
    You can't forget about them, but you may be too worried about their health. We have left our small ones for over 11-12 hours (not intentionally, but it happened) and they were ok. Would not recommend that as a routine.
    And you are right about the boarding costs--take them with you, they will love it. They will enjoy the new smells in each place you stay.
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Thank you for your encouragement Joe. Our first RV experience was with a rental last month. We saw many people with small dogs and I was able to get my "dog fix" by loving on these surrogates. But now that we are purchasing and will be on the road as much as possible, I need another plan.

Thanks for your comments about traveling with them in the trailer. I am just not sure. They travel back and forth to races in ventilated kennels on back of modified work trucks. And yes, they are retired racers. Generally speaking, the only way to bring a Greythound into your life is to adopt from one of the many adoptions kennels. We have had one or more Greys in our lives for over 14 years now and just love the breed.

I too am much less worried about cold than I am about heat. I can always put a jacket on them to help with the cold. I'll investigate folding the seats up as I didn't know that was an option.

Blessings.

Michael

Comment

Having a brand-new trailer and leaving them in it while traveling is not like them being in a kennel truck. I guess that if you were to cage them, and place near the axles to minimize movement, it might work. I am too soft-hearted to think of ours as 'dogs'--thus they get the back seat and soft cushions. They travel well for hours at a time, and let us know when they need out. Even big dogs curl into small spaces when that is all that available.
        Best of luck when you get the trailer and hope you can figure out where the dogs will go.
        Joe
        2005 36TK3 #1869
        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Over the years, since 1978, we have had an unending stream of German Shepherd Dogs and have been RV'ing since 1975. At one time we traveled/RV'd with 4 GSD's. 2 in the TV and 2 in the 5er. We did this for years, since 2003 to about 2009. Now it is just 2 GSD's and they now ride with us in the TV. The dogs were always eager to go for a ride, regardless of which vehicle they were in and we made sure to rotate them. Generally traveled early in the day and not typically in the heat of summer. Kept some windows and vents open and lots of water and rigged up a remote temp sensor so we would know the temps in the 5er and would stop more frequently. No medical issues from doing this. As can be seen by our sig we have a 38RESB3 MS and the problem you will have is a lack of floor space/maneuverability for the dogs while closed up. We currently have a young female GSD and don't trust her yet to be a good dog while we are sleeping or out so we have a 42X32X30 wire metal kennel she resides in at those time. We have it in the area the second recliner would be located. If need be she could ride in it while traveling. There really isn't any other space I can think of to let a dog ride with this floor plan. The other 2 5er's we had the dogs could do a little roaming and could sleep on the bed which worked great. With the suspension and TriGlide the rig rides very smoothly; no I haven't ridden in it but nothing seems to move around or topple over while traveling and we do a real minimum of rearranging stuff; just put it where it belongs for use and go. We even leave a dog bowl for water half full in front of the island and it doesn't spill out.

I think it is a lot safer for the dog and owners riding in a 5er than having a dog run around in a MH, sitting on the dash or worse, riding in the driver's lap. As for temps in the rig, if you have a generator you can run the A/C's when needed; we did that in our last MS.
          sigpic2008 3500HD LTZ CC 4X4 Duramax/Allison - Banks IQ with Economind tuner & Speedbrake -
          2013 MS 38RESB3 modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was! "

Comment

47Hook. Thanks so much for this encouraging response. It is especially helpful since you are driving a similar rig and truck. I love these dogs and don't want to stress them so will likely try the trailer on some short trips to see how they do. Generally, if they have a comfy bed they are fine and the already ride fine when in the car. Can you tell me more about the remote temp sensor and venting while on the road? The ony thing that came to my mind is leaving the fantastic fan vents open or something like that. Are there more effective ways to get simple ventilation while moving down the road w/o opening windows etc?

Even the water doesn't spill. I'm impressed!

Regards and thank you for your service!

Michael

Rig will come with Morryde IS and Morryde Pin Box. We are purchasing Trailer saver hitch and install air bags on truck. I am hoping that all of that will equate to a good ride in the TV and minimal chaos in the 5er.

Comment

We have always traveled with large dogs. Collies. We carried 3 in a crew cab PU and no issues at all. We carry 4 now in the Volvo. Two Greyhounds would be just fine in the truck. I would never carry them in the 5th wheel. It would stress them out with all the movement, it swings and jerks way too much no matter what suspension is on it. When the slides are in on most of these units there is no room for them. Crates would be the only way to be safe but there is no way enough ventilation on a hot day. Also no way to know of they are ok. It really sounds like you care a great deal for your dogs so don't even think about locking them up in the trailer. In the event of an accident, the 5th wheel is last place I would want anything to be we care about. These things fly apart in a wreck. The truck is the safest place. There is a reason they do not allow humans to ride in trailers.

Enjoy your new MS and having the fur kids with you!

Bill
              Bill and Joan
              4 Collie pups
              01 Volvo 770
              05 38RL3 #2046
              05 Smart Passion loaded piggyback

Comment

As can be seen, lots of different opinions. Having lived in Alaska for 17 years have seen many different rigs used to transport lots of sled dogs to races. Dogs always came out eager to run, and happy to go back in the rig to go to the next stop. The roads and conditions weren't as nice as most of our roads in the lower 48.

The only problem I'd have with the RESB3 floor plan is there isn't much room for the dogs/dog to move about. With how you are equipping your TV and ES it should be a smoother ride than mine. If you remove one recliner like I do, there is room for a large enough crate to be put in the open space and there is a little room left between the couch and living room slide, but not enough for another crate and I bet your dogs like to be together. If you put them on the bed, there is room but nowhere for them to go but they might try to move around and get trapped. You could prop open the walk-in closet and give them some more room; I would also suggest covering floor and bedding with a tarp or some other water (!!??) proof covering. The only time we had an issue was with one dog who was very sick and on all sorts of meds and she couldn't hold it. Thankfully I had taken my own advice and had tarps down. She would have gotten sick even back home in the house.

From what I have read, the fantastic fans can be left open while traveling down the road. I think I'd call and confirm. There are various covers that can be used that would allow the vents to be open while driving. Then, what I did was open some of the windows and slip a bit of urethane pipe insulation, the kind that is split length ways and doesn't have any glue on the slit and is used to insulate water pipes, and slide it on the lower lip of the window. I would then tighten/close the window until it compressed the insulation somewhat to prevent the window from fluttering in the wind. This would allow some circulation along with the vents. The remote temp sensor is the kind you can pick up at almost any hardware store/WalMart that has a base station and a remote transmitter; I use these in the basement now to monitor temps there when stationary. Just experiment for location of the remote so the base station can receive the signal. What ever temp your dog is ok in they will be ok in the rig. Just make sure there is some air flow. You can also get standalone fantastic fans that are 12VDC and can be placed to blow in the dogs direction inside the rig. Heck, you could probably get a nanny cam and monitor real time how the dogs are.

We love our dogs; we have spent literally 10's of thousands of dollars over the years in vet/prescriptions and home mods to make our lives easier and theirs easier. They are not, however, our kids. They are our companions, our friends but they really are dogs. Dogs by nature are adaptable and would much prefer to be with their masters; if not right now, just as soon as they are let out of their crates, rig, our when you come home to greet them. If they are not prone to car sickness, I believe you can work out a system that will work, if they really can't ride in the back seat area. Let us know how you fare and good luck with your ES, Gordon.
                sigpic2008 3500HD LTZ CC 4X4 Duramax/Allison - Banks IQ with Economind tuner & Speedbrake -
                2013 MS 38RESB3 modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was! "

Comment

Working...
                X