Cable Slide System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Slide System

After 6 years of problems with the Schwintek system in my ES 38RESB3 bedroom slide, DRV has agreed to replace it with a cable system. I want your opinions on the cable system. I want finally to put this to rest but don't want to trade one problem for another.

We have had the cable system on our last 2 units. Never a problem, but I never had a problem with the Schwintek either. My preference has always been the older hydraulic set up but I understand why they did away with it. Good luck with the change out.

Bill

Comment

The Schwintek system is fine if the tolerances are kept during manufacture. Our problem is that the slide or opening is not square. I just changed out motor 1 and there was a ton of pressure on the drive gear. Motor 2 side needed to be shimmed in order to make contact. This has been going on now for 6 years.

Comment

Anyone with a 2012 or early 2013 that has the Schwintek channel system should have it rebuilt by Slade at Rolling Retreats. We did several years ago and not one issue since. Don't know what he did but the upper channel is lower than it originally was.
        Jan & Thomas
        2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
        2012 Ford F350
        Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
          After 6 years of problems with the Schwintek system in my ES 38RESB3 bedroom slide, DRV has agreed to replace it with a cable system. I want your opinions on the cable system. I want finally to put this to rest but don't want to trade one problem for another.
          We've had zero issues with the cable system on the bedroom slides.
          Mike
          2014 MS 38RSSB3
          2016 F350 CC DRW

Comment

3+ years full timing and no issues with our 2016's bedroom slide cable system.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Only had one cable come out of the flange mount on the slide face, retainer was missing.
              I am not sure how they are going to install the cable system on a slide not designed for it--the motor/pulleys etc. take up space on the inside of the slide surrounds that go against the wall, but guess it can be done.
              Also have heard that DRV was no longer doing out-of-warranty work--great that they will do it for you.
              2005 36TK3 #1869
              2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

After too many failures to count, DRV replaced my Schwintec with a cable system a couple years ago. Since then it has been trouble free. That was before they stopped doing out of warrantee repairs.

Comment

"Also have heard that DRV was no longer doing out-of-warranty work--great that they will do it for you."

We heard the same about DRV. When we were in the UP (Michigan) last week we ran into a couple that full time in their Suites. The guy told me every year for the last few years they stop in Howe on their way to Florida, and they have DRV go through the trailer and "check" things. When he went to make his "annual" appointment this fall he was told by ED Fry "they no longer work on out-of-warranty units." Ed told the guy they're having trouble acquiring and retaining good help and can't keep up with the demand.

Dan

Comment

Just to give you an update. Our unit was sent back to DRV by the dealer in 2012 and again by me in 2015 to have the bedroom slide system repaired. It never worked properly from day 1. DRV agreed to repair it for free in 2015 even though it was out of warranty. When it came back, the first open snapped part of the bed frame off but the slide did go out. The slide always made horrible popping and grinding noises from day one and still did that when it came back. Second use after the repair, the nylon roller for the system popped off on the rear side. I found that the slide opening was not square and "band aided it" to get it to work but the slide alway sounded horrible.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Motor 1 failed. Found out from LCI that the motors that are in my unit were discontinued because of gears breaking in the gear box. They recommended changing motor 2 as well. This was the out of square side. So since I had to go in there anyway, I decided to disassemble the entire system and see what I could do about the out of square opening. I measured the opening top and bottom and found that the opening was 3/4" off! When I disassembled the system I found Gib pins missing and lot's of drill holes in the frame. The top to bottom gears were 5 teeth off from one another. The motor mount was not properly seated in the H channel. So here's what I did;

Since I could not move the out of square tower, I took 1/8” aluminum stock and stacked 3 of them behind the upper track which yielded a 3/8” shim. This pushed the track against the H channel the way it is supposed to be. I had to install the H channel where it was because there was nothing to screw it to if I moved it towards the slide. Also, there was a huge gap in the paint and graphics. This still did not seat the H channel against the frame as it should be. I still had 3/8" more to go.

​​​​​​I then took three 1/8” aluminum pieces and shimmed the H channel against the tower on top. 2 pieces of 1/8” stock middle and bottom. I also shimmed the front roller up 1/‘8”. Everything is now solid and the Schwintek system is functioning the way it was designed.

I am amazed that the slide actually ever worked and have a new respect for how much torque those little motors generate. The grinding and popping I have heard since day one was that upper gear slipping. The slide moves in and out now with ease. No noises, no binding, no hesitation all of which I had since new. It works better now than it ever has since day 1.

I really expected much more from a luxury 5th wheel. The price we pay for these things should buy some sort of quality control. There are 150 campsite were we are seasonally. I walked around and asked other folks who have the Schwintek system if they have had problems. Not one said yes. The system is not bad but it does require tight tolerances in order to work properly. 3/4" of slop in manufacture and the system will not work.

I am reluctant the allow DRV to work on it again. I really do not trust them to do quality work. Opinions on what I should do?
                    Last edited by mikey; 10-15-2018, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X