solar panels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar panels

What’s encluded in solar prep package? I would like to put on solar panels.

As far as I remember it's just a pair of wires from the battery area to the roof. Roof wires are under the very front most roof "vent" cover. Good luck

Bill

Comment

Two wires are run from the front of the roof to the battery compartment. An additional roof vent is installed allowing you to find the wires when you install your system. We upgraded the solar install to 4 gauge wire to allow more options.
      2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suites
      2016 Western Star 5700xe

Comment

DRV as mentioned above, it is wire from the roof to the battery & hydraulic compartment area.

Standard is 10 gauge. You can upgrade for the lofty price of $400 to 4 gauge.

At face value the upgrade is way over priced. But if you want to add a bunch of panels it can save you some trouble.

On mine I had a difficult time finding the wires in the roof. Once found they were about 2' long at the vent opening. Down below they were about 8' long coiled up (and about 2' shorter then what I needed).

I could not pull the roof top wire excess down. Either the wire is wrapped around something, taped up or just pinched, I can't move it.

You could probably just add your own heavier wire for a significant cash savings.
        I was able to see the wire hanging in the front cap when I took the safe out.
        Last edited by porthole; 02-05-2019, 04:39 PM.
        Thanks,
        Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
        2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Having the correct size wire is very important. I had my system designed by AM Solar of Springfield Oregon. They shipped it to DRV and it was installed incorrectly. DRV thought they new better so it cost me over eight hundred dollars to have it corrected. Make sure they follow any specs or you will end up like me. You will need them to install a collection box on the roof where each panel will have its own wire (home run) to the collection box. If you do it is a series and have a shadow over one of the panels, the juice will stop there. AM solar has a great web site with all sorts of tutorials to read so you know how many panels, batteries, etc.......Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X