What Satellite Navigation System to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Satellite Navigation System to Buy

Jo and I just purchased a new SUV and it is not equipped with the onboard navigation system that our Explorer had. So, now I find myself returning, once again, to my online friends who have yet to fail me.

1. What kind of systems are there and are there some I should avoid like the plague?

2. I've heard that some may allow downloading of applications for different things. So, is that statement true?

3. Are there any applications that would give information on overpass heights?

4. Or, would there be an internet site that would be better, especially for pre-planning of a route to avoid low clearances?

5. Do any of you have knowledge of the best GPS units to buy, and if so, why that brand/model?

6. Does any particular GPS file format work better or have more options than others?

7. Considering the future full-timing aspect of RV life, are there any STANDOUT brands/models that are a must have?

8. Are some units suitable to remove from a vehicle and carry on foot when hiking?

Thanks again for all the help.

Terry
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Terry we have two Garmins, they have served us well. I'm not sure about the new GPS systems. The one in the Freightliner we haven't ever down loaded updates. But the 2720 Street Pilot we have hooked it to the Computer and downloaded updates. Good Luck on you research. GBY...
    Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
    2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

I have a 'PC Miler' model. It is sold at Loves truck stops & other places. It has options to enter RV length, heigth and weight. Or you can enter your RV info as a truck. It has options for routing Truck, RV, auto, motorcycle or walking. I've had it for about a year and a half and it hasn't led me wrong yet. The only complaint I have is that sometimes when looking for a rural address you have to figure out what obscure town it believes the address is in.
      Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
      2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
      S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
      Retired & Full timing

Comment

I gave a Garmin in the truck but use Microsoft streets and trips on the laptop for planning trips. It will show most points of intrest, campgrounds, resteraunts. You can even search for certain type of resteraunt. There are map overlays that can be downloaded to show low bridges, walmarts campingworld, and many other stores. You can set how many hours a day you want to drive then search campgrounds in the area. You can download road construction info although it is not 100% acurate. With the 2010 version you can transfer your planned trip to your portable GPS.

Tom
        Tom & Irene
        2010 MS 36TKSB3 5107
        2011 Chev 3500 DRW

Comment

Tom,

Pardon my ignorance here, as I am unfamiliar with both GPS models and Microsoft's Streets and Trips. Regarding the following part of your comment:

"There are map overlays that can be downloaded to show low bridges, walmarts campingworld, and many other stores. You can set how many hours a day you want to drive then search campgrounds in the area."

Does the downloads apply to the Garmin or Microsoft Streets and Trips?

Now, this part of your comment:

"With the 2010 version you can transfer your planned trip to your portable GPS."

Does that mean that the Garmin you have cannot be removed and carried while hiking, walking around town/city, or while in someone else's vehicle?

Thanks.

Terry
          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry,
            You are asking a question much like---Ford/Chevy/Dodge?

Check out review sites on the internet:

www.gpsreview.net

www.gpsmagazine.com

Lots of info out there, and personal experiences from our members will help. But there are so many options available, plus the technology advances just like computers.

I have a Garmin 2620 complete that I no longer use if you are interested--I am sure several others have upgraded or gotten built-in Nav systems and may want to sell what they no longer use.

Joe
            2005 36TK3 #1869
            2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

The map overlays are for MS streets and trips. I have not yet tried transferring a planned trip to the garmin. I print out the directions complete with addresses of the campsites we plan to stay at and any road construction. We enter the address into the garmin when we take off. Our model of Garmin (260wt), I think, is portable. I just prefer to plan a trip on a 15-inch screen rather than a 3-inch screen
              Tom
              Tom & Irene
              2010 MS 36TKSB3 5107
              2011 Chev 3500 DRW

Comment

We have a Garmin and really like it. You can purchase a lifetime upgrade that allows up to 4 upgrades per year. However, we still carry a road atlas and check it against the GPS as they do not always have the best routing or the very latest changes that may have occurred.

With Garmin, it depends on the type of system you buy as to what different maps you have or can install. There are foot maps available for some models and some even have truck information such as weight limits and low height clearance warnings. As with anything, the more options you want, the higher you need to go in models and price.

I would be careful about buying used units as they may already be registered under the original owner's name and you will not be able to upgrade information without that information. Good luck with your search.
                Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
                2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

garmi

I just purchsed Garmin nuvi 465t it's the truckers gps you can put in trailer info ie hight width weight with that info you won't get on a road that you won't fit on , my bride allways worrys about going under bridges. I orderd mine from comp usa $269.00

Comment

Garmin 465T can be used like your driving a tractor trailor and keep you safer than a regular car only model. You can enter weight, height and length so it will try to keep you from low overpasses and such. You can switch to car mode and it is just like any other Garmin. In truck mode it has guided me to intersections with red lights when car mode may not. The only problem I have had is when there is construction that you have to detour around.
                    Mary and Terry
                    2009 ES 38TKSB3 #4907
                    2011 F450 King Ranch

Comment

Just a Word of Caution

Some criminals will break into your vehicle just to get your GPS. They know you're not home but have home programmed into it; guess where the head while you're at your damaged vehicle filling out a police report. I suggest programming something like the local police dept as home; call home something else.

Comment

You make a good point James. The police station is the best.

Comment

After doing more reading of forum posts, we are re-thinking this satellite navigation situation. First, as some have commented, Microsoft Streets and Trips looks like a good thing to have for preplanning of ones trip, especially the version for RV's ($70 - see link below).

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/en-...sonsToBuy.aspx

As for the GPS unit itself, that will take a bit more research. The "hiking" versions of Garmins, while pretty impressive with topographical maps, is very pricey. But, I need to see if I can find a version of GPS that will notify of low bridges but can be taken out of the vehicle and be battery operated.

If I can find such a product, then both the GPS and the Streets and Trips could be helpful in finding large RV friendly fuel stops and such. While I will still appreciate anyone's input with suggestions or recommendations, we are not in a big hurry to get anything yet. After all, we're still in Oklahoma City and will be for a while, and we know the city pretty well.

As James Morgan posted with a suggestion as a safety precaution, not to program one's GPS with their home address. Kind of makes sense, after all, other than being on the road, most of us know where "home" is located and wouldn't need GPS to find it.

Perhaps others of you have "tips" for GPS owners as well. If so, why not chime in with them.

Thanks again.

Terry
                          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I like the idea of "home" programmed into my GPS. However, I use another address on the same road as I live on when we are at our rural home. "Home" is easy for DW to figure out on the GPS.
                            If we are staying at a park I use the park address as "home" and not the site on a certain street in the park. Works for us.
                            David & Joyce Robinson
                            2011 MS 38TKSB4 #5535
                            Winter work camping Sebastian Fl.
                            Summer in mountains of NC.

Vanity slide, FP, vac, , level-up,
                            thermo pane windows, dinette awning.
                            240 volt dryer, residential fridge, roof
                            satellite, Mor\Ryde pin box. Two bicycles
                            on front, two kayaks on back.

2008 F-350 4X4 Diesel CC LB H&S Tuner
                            Pressure Pro(10 tires), fold-a-cover, train horns,
                            34 gal fuel/tool in bed aux. tank, Trailer Saver.
                            sigpic

Comment

Terry, we had a 2007 and upgraded to the 2009 version of S&T's w/o GPS. We haven't upgraded to 2010 because I can't see where they show RV heights as an option. I only use it for Preplanning our routes.

Maybe I'm just slow, but would appreciate pointing me to something other than just Testimonials on using with an RV. All I could find on website is a link to another addon from another source which is only a POI directory. http://www.rvdirections.com/
                              Vickie & David
                              SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
                              Alicia - Custom kitchen
                              2014 F450 KR 4x4
                              Titan 65g tank
                              2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X