Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bought the new Rand McNally 7730 RV GPS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone bought the new Rand McNally 7730 RV GPS??

Hi,
    We are looking at the different models of RV GPS, and like the features of the new Rand McNally model 7730, which evidently was launched within the last 3 months. Has anyone purchased it, or know anyone who has? We haven't seen a lot of reviews and were cautious to avoid buying a lemon...
    David + Lisa Peck
    2010 Elite Suites 38RSSB3
    Ford F-350 DRW

I have looked everywhere to find how to put a post on here. I am new to this site and can not get any help. Could you please guide me in posting. thank you [email protected]

Comment

I don't have one, but was curious. Look at this link for a few, not so positive, reviews. I checked on another RV forum also. RM, overall, generally has mixed reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-7...ustomerReviews
      Bill M, Ontario, Canada
      2015 MS 38RSSA #7348.
      2009 Ram Dually Diesel, 68RFE, 4.10 axles.
      In Good I Trust

Comment

Had one. Very disappointing. usually did not find campgrounds. Once actually directed me to the wrong state and once took me 14 miles out of the way to cross a dam that I was over weight for. Had a habit of locking up when changing interstates through cities. Finally completely quit after 1 year and I was happy to throw it away.
        Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
        2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
        S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
        Retired & Full timing

Comment

Tom,
          Did you look at Post #2 above? Doesn't make any sense...
          Joe
          2005 36TK3 #1869
          2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Yeah, didn't realize what they did.
            Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
            2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
            S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
            Retired & Full timing

Comment

Originally posted by oniloh View Post
              I have looked everywhere to find how to put a post on here. I am new to this site and can not get any help. Could you please guide me in posting. thank you [email protected]
              First of all, welcome to the forums.

If you are referring to starting a new thread, there is a button at the top of the page and to the left that says something like "Post New Thread." Click on that, type something in the "Subject" line that is a gist of your comment, then type in the body of the message.

It's actually quite simple.

I'm answering here instead of sending you an e-mail because I prefer my e-mail address to not become quite so public, especially with a party of whom I know nothing.

Terry
              Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
              2008 Ford F450
              2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We have had a great deal of experience with both the first generation RM and the the second generation one. (that being the most current one before the new 7730) What we have found over and over again is that it can get you close, but in more than 30% of the time it will fail to locate the campground. An excellent case in point was a recent miss finding the entrance to a state park that had been in the same location, with the same entrance roadways for decades. In another case, finding the Tom Sawyer campground in West Memphis provides two choices. Following the RM or following the campgrounds roadside signs directing to the campground. The signs are direct, the RM takes us left down the Main Street, then a hard sharp right (with a 5th wheel) down a residential street. This one left us shaking our heads in complete disbelief. We now look for campground roadside signage, and put far more faith in that than the RM.
                Cam & Heather, British Columbia, CA
                VE4CDR & VE4RRN
                2015 MS 38RSB3 purchased from Country Camping RV, Salmon Arm, BC
                SOITC#7272
                2014 Ram 3500 DRW
                MOR-ryde IS & pinbox, Curt 24k hitch

Comment

I was looking at this or this Garmin.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod135455.html
                  2015 Ram 3500 RC 4x2, DRW, CTD, Aisin, 410 rear

2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSB3 on order.

Comment

Having had the first model of the 7700 series, I have ZERO interest in checking out this model. I gave it away.

Joe
                    2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 Flame Red Dually 3.73 Aisin transmission
                    2012 DRV Select Suites 38TKSB3 #6011

Comment

Originally posted by rynosback View Post
                      I was looking at this or this Garmin.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod135455.html
                      That would be my choice of the available GPS units. Have had issues with Magellan Roadmates in the past and with having 6 Garmin units in the family cars without a failure over the past 6 years, I trust them to work.
                      2012 Freightliner M2-112 with DD13, Allison 4000 and Trailer Saver

2015 38RSSA Elite #7598

Comment

I don't know if anyone has tried it - but CoPilot truck works on droid, pc, and mac. So basically it will work on your existing tablet and gives you a hi-resolution larger screen than dedicated gps units, it is also updated continuously. It's what a lot of professionals use and you can program in specifics like length of overall rig, and height - which is of major concern on these babies. It also has routing, and cloud tracking. It is less than the cost of a dedicated unit, and works better in my opinion. Here is the link http://copilotgps.com/us/truck/ - I don't have any affiliation with this company - I just really like the app - works great.

It was just asked what version do I have - I have the professional version, or the trucker version.
                        Last edited by TGAMO; 04-02-2015, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I purchased the 7730 RV a few months ago and, overall, have been satisfied with it. I've had a couple of instances where it appeared that the 7730 was leading me in the wrong direction but I used my own judgment and overrode the GPS. Even when I had the Garmin, I never placed full reliance on the GPS. I always study my route online before taking off on the road.

Comment

I had a horrible experience with the previous RM model which gave me constant grief updating the maps. The last time that we attempted updating, the unit bricked itself by losing its files. I gave up and purchased the Garmin 760 model. It has never failed to seamlessly update itself. Based on my personal experience, I would recommend the Garmin RV 760LMT. I can also recommend Copilot, which is a pleasure to use on a larger screen like an iPad.
                            Cam & Heather, British Columbia, CA
                            VE4CDR & VE4RRN
                            2015 MS 38RSB3 purchased from Country Camping RV, Salmon Arm, BC
                            SOITC#7272
                            2014 Ram 3500 DRW
                            MOR-ryde IS & pinbox, Curt 24k hitch

Comment

Working...
                            X