RV Portable GPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Portable GPS

Last time I saw any information on GPS suggestions was a post in 2014, so I am going to ask for an update. I am wanting to upgrade my portable gps to an "RV" grade version with lifetime maps. It will be a supplement to my built-in nav system on my 2017 Ford truck. Don't really want to spend an arm and a leg. I want it to give me bridge heights, weights, more advance warning when having to make turns, etc., and, of course, all the other information available on a regular gps. For what it's worth, I am accustomed to using Garmin.
    Ken & Kyle Vonfeldt
    2013 F350DRW, Crew Cab
    2016 Mobile Suites Cincinnati 43, custom order. #7958

I ditched stand alone GPS systems a couple of years ago. I went to the CoPilot app on my iPad. It works just like a standalone GPS would, but costs less because you are only paying for software, not hardware (assuming you have an iPad or some other tablet type device to run it on). The iPad/Tablet does have to have a GPS chip set in it for the software to function. The app allows you to create a vehicle profile with size/length information. I have been very happy with it. It has routed me all over the western and central USA with no issues so far. I do still double check routes beforehand just in case. The CoPilot app has recommended some nice two lane scenic highways that I probably wouldn’t have considered on my own a few times and after checking them out with other means to confirm their viability I followed the recommendations with no issues and some very nice back country scenery I would have missed otherwise. You can set what type of roadways the app will “prefer” when routing. It gave me a very nice 5000 mile trip double towing a 5er and Jeep behind a Kenworth T2000 and never got me into any trouble with my size/length.
    2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
    2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Heiser View Post
      I ditched stand alone GPS systems a couple of years ago. I went to the CoPilot app on my iPad. It works just like a standalone GPS would, but costs less because you are only paying for software, not hardware (assuming you have an iPad or some other tablet type device to run it on). The iPad/Tablet does have to have a GPS chip set in it for the software to function. The app allows you to create a vehicle profile with size/length information. I have been very happy with it. It has routed me all over the western and central USA with no issues so far. I do still double check routes beforehand just in case. The CoPilot app has recommended some nice two lane scenic highways that I probably wouldn’t have considered on my own a few times and after checking them out with other means to confirm their viability I followed the recommendations with no issues and some very nice back country scenery I would have missed otherwise. You can set what type of roadways the app will “prefer” when routing. It gave me a very nice 5000 mile trip double towing a 5er and Jeep behind a Kenworth T2000 and never got me into any trouble with my size/length.

Which CoPilot app are you using, the RV version?
      2015 36RSSB3
      2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

And if it is the RV version, are you able to enter height and length alarms?
        2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suites
        2007 Freightliner M2-106

Comment

We went with Rand McNally RV GPS. I like it because you do add your length and height, you can also tell it to route you like a truck. The other features I like are speed limit change warning, an adjustable over the speed limit warning, sharp turn approaching warning and steep decline warning. We have use it for two years and would purchase again.
          Bobi and Dick
          Mohave Valley, Az

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

I’ve been using the standard CoPilot HD USA & Canada. I downloaded it initially to test it out and it worked so well, I never upgraded to the RV version. The standard version I use allows you to set an RV profile, but the only size limiters you can enter are height. The RV version has a more robust set of size limitations that can be set. I’m not sure what the other differences are.
            2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
            2017 Mobile Suites 40KSSB4

Comment

Thanks all for your input; I finally went with the Garmin RV660LMT; best price $239 on eBay, and after all it is a secondary gps for us since our intruck gps is our primary.
              Ken & Kyle Vonfeldt
              2013 F350DRW, Crew Cab
              2016 Mobile Suites Cincinnati 43, custom order. #7958

Comment

Working...
              X