Trailair Equa Flex & Center Point Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailair Equa Flex & Center Point Suspension

My unit came with the Trailair Equa-Flex suspension. I'm considering upgrading to the Center Point suspension. Has anyone done this and was it worth it??

Sam
    Sam n Patty
    2009 SS 36RESB3 #4776
    Kingsville, Md

We only have the standard equalizer that was available as standard equipment in 2006. We are upgrading to MorRyde I.S. this spring rather than TrailAir Center Point. I just feel MorRyde makes a superior product and also do not want to mess with the air adjustments required with the Center Point. Did not look at the cost of Center Point but would not expect it to be much different in cost than MorRyde I.S. Just my two cents
    Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Yes, the cost is a big factor. Price is about 1K for the Center Point and I can install the myself. I have heard of an ocassional air big problem, but that is about it.

How about other Center Point owners, are you happy with the product???

sam
      Last edited by nivrig; 01-05-2012, 08:14 AM.
      Sam n Patty
      2009 SS 36RESB3 #4776
      Kingsville, Md

Comment

I have had both the equa flex and now have the Center Point Air bag system. I think the Center Point Air bag system works for me. I haven't had any air bag issues...... I do have to check before each move, air pressure does change depending on the weather... As for the IS system, I think its a great system but if you have issues who other than Mor/Ryde can fix or repair.. Good Luck with your choice... Happy Trails.....
        Delaine and Lindy

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's (TRADED)
        2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 (Vanity Slide) #5057 (SOLD)

Trailer Saver Air ride TS 3 (Sold)

Pressure Pro System (SOLD)

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

I've had both: MorRyde on an Excel and the Center Point on our current MS. Cost to purchase and have MorRyde install the IS on the Excel was around $3,700. Took two days. Stafford RV in Thornburg, VA quoted around $2,500 to buy and install the Center Point on the Excel. I'm the only person I know of that's experienced an airbag issue with the Center Point system. We managed to put one of those little flags you mark an underground electric dog fence or utilities with through one bag. Took a local tech about an hour to replace the bag. Once you see how it's done, it's a relative easy thing to do - just time consuming and you're laying on the ground. Bag and shipping costs about $170. While Lippert notes that you can travel with a flat airbag, you'll know it when you have one.

When we had the Excel, a few owners had issues with the MorRyde IS. Most issues were wheel-bearing related. I don't recall anyone on the Excel forum having an issue having them repaired. Getting them aligned could be a little more challenging, though. MorRyde can help you locate folks to do that work. I was told to keep ours greased and check the wheel-bearing play. I had a great experience with MorRyde. I'd think they'd help you if you had an issue. Installing the MorRyde IS will add about 2 inches to the height of your trailer (raises your trailer about 2 inches). If you need to, it's a great opportunity to have any ride height issues corrected. That's one reason we paid the higher price and had the IS installed on the Excel.

We have the Center Point on the MS because I could order it with it. I wouldn't hesitate to put MorRyde IS on our MS if we started having issues with the Center Point. David
          David & Donna Driver |2017 F350 | 2011 MS 36RSSB3 w/Vanity Slide (#5642)
          sigpic

Comment

We've have the air bags and no problems in 16 months. Airing them up is not that big go a deal, I fire up my air compressor and air up the air bags, the air bag on the hitch, the tires on the rig, the tires on my truck and the air bags on my truck. Lots of stuff to air up.

Also, before I auto level, I let the air out of the air bags, this appears to level the rig about 2 or 3 inches lower to the ground, which means less jack extension.
            Donnie & Vicki
            sigpic
            2011 Elite 36 RSSB4 #5496
            Traveler Directv Dish
            Washer/Dryer/Dishwasher

2012 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
            Durmax/Allison
            Truck Covers USA Roll Up Cover

Comment

David I agree about your thoughts on Mor/Ryde I have been to Mor/Ryde in Goshen and know Gary and others. I had Disk brakes and the RL system installed by Mor/Ryde. The work was excellent and I have never had a issue with any of the Mor/Ryde installed system. Happy Trails.....
              Delaine and Lindy

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

I hope this reply isn't too late! Had our center point removed last October and replace with Mor/ryde IS. Excessive tire wear indicated that my axles needed to be streightened and this can not be done many places. I am more than well pleased with work and level of professionalism shown by their workers. Forgot to put sink covers on when we left. Pulled trailer from Goshen to Hunnington and found the covers standing at the back of the stove! In my opinion it is a totaly different trailer, much smoother, considerably less road shock transfered to truck. Also noticed that the tires are running 10 to 20 degrees cooler ( yes I keep track of that type thing!) so believe that the weight is better distributed. The center point system does NOT equalize weight!! Plus they raised the trailer 1.5" so now it is level. I'm HAPPY!
                Bill & Jody
                2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

[QUOTE=WCodwise;16424so believe that the weight is better distributed. [/QUOTE]

They didn't weight your unit while there? They did our Excel while there. I understand that the centerpoint isn't designed to shift weight, but why is the off-door, kitchen side recommeded as 70 PSI and the door side is 60 PSI, yet air'd to 68 (Kitchen side) & 64 (door side) I'm heavier on the door side? Sorry folks, but I'm a retired ops research analyst and a CFI-II. I love weight and balance. I take it seriously. As a CFI-II, weight & balance is an occupational hazard. And I ain't buying this DRV is built as a better weight balanced unit than the Excel. On this 36RSSB3, most storage is installed centerline to off-door, kitchen side including holding (centerline) and freshwater tanks (centerline to off-door, kitchen side). The Excel had a one 40 lb propane tank on each side. This unit has both installed on the off-door, kitchen side. As best I can tell as I've dug around this trailer, the hydraulic motor, pump and reservoir are installed along or on the off-door, kitchen side. On our Excel, it was installed on the door side. Our books, electric tools and all water hookup items (our heaviest items) are stored above the bedroom headboard (books) and centerline to off-door, kitchen slide (water stuff & electric tools). Our gorilla ladder is located centerline behind the generator wall. Off setting all this is the vanity slide. I was told that it added 250 lbs. Is that not true? To me, the Peterson Industires did much more to try to get a better balanced Excel than this unit and that Excel was 750 lbs heavier on the off-door, kitchen side when we left MorRyde. Sooooo, if it ain't those air bags, what is it? David
                  sigpic

Comment

David,
                    I was told that because of the tanks, water and propane, refrigerator and pantry also W&D if so equipped is why we should run the road side 5 to 8 lbs. above the curb side. I just loot for the vertical arm and adjust the air until it stands at attention. I don't know but it sure seams like a lot of crap we all have to go through just to go and have fun. And to think I used to gripe about camping in the back of my pickup w/camper shell. Air mattress and a sleeping bad, I was good to go. Now we drive ourselves nuts just keeping up with all of the issues. What in the world would we do if we did not have computers and each other?
                    [SIGPIC]
                    Pat & Sandy Laurendine
                    Zoey (Rescue Cocker)
                    2014.5 44' Memphis Elite Suites
                    2012 F450 Lariate w/ Factory
                    Reese 18K Hitch
                    Line-X Color Match Spray In Bed Liner

Comment

Originally posted by Pat L. View Post
                      ...What in the world would we do if we did not have computers and each other?
                      Argue face-to-face? Just kidding!

Nope, I'm the guy that was told the centerpoint system balanced the trailer side-to-side and when we were weighted at the Escapade 2011 and found we were within pounds of being equal in side-to-side weight, believed it to be true. So people have corrected me, but no one has provided an explanation of why we're balanced side-to-side. Speculation is that these units are better balanced. So far telling me it's better balanced side-to-side when there's more stuff hanging on the kitchen side on this DRV than our previous trailer that was 750 lbs heavier on the kitchen side hasn't convinced me. Given that DRV stickered the air bags to have 10 PSI more on the kitchen side than the door side, leads me to believe that they don't think it's all that balanced, either (assuming the need for PSI is based on weight just as you've mentioned). Could be the vanity slide, but I was told it only added 250 lbs. Need to confirm that. So here's my thinking of what could be leading to our having equal weights side-to-side:

1) bad weighing at the Escapade,
                      2) while not an equalizing system, by adding more air to the kitchen side air bag, we are shifting some weight to the door side (which means the centerpoint system is raising the frame as air is added to the air bags.) I wouldn't have believed that until I read the post on here where a guy said he let the air out of his centerpoint bags to lower the trailer and give the level-up system legs more range to work with. (see post #6 in this thread), or
                      3) the vanity slide added significantly more weight 250 lbs.

So the saga continues. David

David
                      Last edited by Davydee; 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm for sure confused now... We have the Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 with the vanity slide, side by side W/D etc? I don't understand how my off door side want be heavier than the door side.. I think David said that his 5th wheel is heavier on the door side or did I read it wrong ?? I always have had 70 lb on the off door side and 60 lb on the door side. I never lower the Center point when setting up, I can see were it would lower the chassis some, and shorted the Jacks and might be less movement. And to that point I quit worrying about movement. I tried everything and nothing stopped the movement.

Dale Fenton told me the correct setting for the center point when traveling is with the bags centered and you can visually check it on level ground if set correct. I do believe the Center Point is a good system.. I also like the Independent suspension also, the only issue is, and I know people who have had to return to Mor/Ryde because of unusual tire wear?? I'm going to have to get the front axle checked on the door side the tire is wearing completely smooth but the tire has worn faster than the other 3. I don't understand how that happened. Normally uneven wear will occur.. Going to try to find a place that has a laser system to have it checked... However I will probably replace the tire's prior to our trip to Colorado. However the Goodyear G114 have done real well, but the mile we have ran in over 2.5 years I had rather replace the tire much cheaper that replacing the fender wells.. However there are some who think I'm a cheerleader for Drv, because I don't have all the issue some have, actually its on another forum, but I still believe that Drv has the best 5th wheel for my use.... Happy Trails....

P.S. Drv, Please send my compensation to the Florida address, fuel is going up and I need my money now....
                        Delaine and Lindy

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

You read right - we're heavier on the door side. Ah, the mysteries of life that keep me entertained David
                          sigpic

Comment

Lindy,
                            Tampa Spring has a shop in Bradenton as is easy to get to. It cost me $39.94 for them to check my alignment complete with computer print out. I helped be operating the jacks so the man did not have to get under the coach with a jack. Just a thought.
                            Pat
                            [SIGPIC]
                            Pat & Sandy Laurendine
                            Zoey (Rescue Cocker)
                            2014.5 44' Memphis Elite Suites
                            2012 F450 Lariate w/ Factory
                            Reese 18K Hitch
                            Line-X Color Match Spray In Bed Liner

Comment

Thanks Pat... We might try and go back thru there on the way back to home base in Mar... Happy Trails....
                              Delaine and Lindy

"WE ARE BLESSED"

Comment

Working...
                              X