RV Fog Doctor Window Reseal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Fog Doctor Window Reseal

Just had 7 fogged windows repaired at the RV Fog Doctor in Searcy, Arkansas. We are very pleased with the results. Every employee is happy at what they do and very knowledgeable about each step in the process from beginning to end. The shop is immaculate and they still put on new booties every time they enter the unit. Lee Merrell (manager) is on site all the time and very involved in following up on what is going on with each coach being worked on. Lee is also very good to work with, hospitable and very knowledgeable about how all the different types of RV double pane glass companies seal there windows and why those seals fail. RV Fog Doctor uses a different seal material than all of the OEM window manufactures that is supposed to hold up much longer. Time will tell, but the initial repair is excellent and everyone is very meticulous about their job. Now that I have seen the process and learned more about the differences between OEM process verses this one, I would highly recommend the RV Fog Doctor repair over replacing with OEM windows.

Just a side note, while here, we noticed several high end motorhomes that were having their double pane windows resealed for the same issue including American Eagle, Custom Coach, Tiffin, Monaco, and Beaver. There is also both a New Horizons and a Space Craft fifth wheel on the schedule for next week. So just to let you all know, DRV is in very good company when it come to this issue and it seems to affect all brands of windows.
    Last edited by RickandJaniceBinns; 04-24-2014, 04:52 PM.
    Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Just wondering about how long they had your unit and a ball park cost per window would be great. Thanks
    2008 32 TK3 Mobile Suite #4311
    2011 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Duramax DRW
    Trailer Saver TS3
    Tire Monitor

Comment

Rick, did they remove frames or just remove the window panes?
      Don and Wanda Clary
      2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually
      2009 Mobile Suite 40DB3w/office #4941
      Retired Full time since 2006
      Gretchen spoiled rotten dachshund

Comment

We had 7-of windows done in Hudson, Fl.-Suncoast Designers.
        They had several different brands there including a Prevost Motorhome.
        They provide 50Amp. hookups and water, dump station also available.
        The cost was $225.00 a window no matter what size. It took them about 3-days to do them. We got a 10-year warranty, pro-rated after the first year.
        Our MS is a 2007 and they were able to take the windows out from the outside except on in the one slide one and had to take the frame out from inside.
        We were satisfied with the service we got.

Comment

Wow, you could have bought new windows much cheaper than that.
          sigpic
          Gary and Penny
          2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
          2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Chief 2 View Post
            Wow, you could have bought new windows much cheaper than that.
            Since you brought it up I would have to agree.

It is really inexpensive to buy the HEHR windows direct from DRV. They are actually easy to remove and install if you have basic skills.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

RV Fog Doctor charges $200 per small window and $300 for the large picture window in the rear. This cost is per set so includes the top and bottom (Jalousie)portions. This also includes a 2 year unconditional warranty on the seal. To replace 7 windows took 1.5 days and they have full hook ups in front of each of the bays that can be used during your stay. The window reseal material used is now actually a "hot melt", similar to automotive windshield sealer but firmer and not as tacky. This sealer is applied with a heat applicator that heats it to 500 degrees before application so it is not the tape type seal. According to Lee Merrell, manager at RV Fog Doctor, most of the windows they repair are the dark tint and mirror glaze type because the tape type adhesive does not stay adhered to the film that is sprayed on the back side of the glass to get this affect.

I understand that this may be more expensive than purchasing new Hehr windows through DRV, but when you calculate the freight cost of the new windows, frustration and time to replace the old windows as well as disposal of the old windows, the cost is probably the same or slightly cheaper. If this new seal also holds up longer, then I am ahead of the cost of just replacing over and over with the same thing. Time will tell the true story, but anyone I have met that used the RV Fog Doctor has not been disappointed and their windows are still holding after several years. All said, I felt this was well worth trying since we plan on keeping this coach for a very long time.

P.S. Also considered using Sun Coast Designers but when they told me that any fogging over one year old would probably require new glass and the fact we would not be near Florida for another 2 years at least, decided to go with RV Fog Doctor since cost and resealing methods were about the same.
              Last edited by RickandJaniceBinns; 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM.
              Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
              2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
                Since you brought it up I would have to agree.

It is really inexpensive to buy the HEHR windows direct from DRV. They are actually easy to remove and install if you have basic skills.
                Do you know if DRV will let you pick up the windows from their factory or from Hehr? We have friends going to the factory in a couple of weeks and we will probably be in the SE Michigan area for July and could make a side trip while heading up there or on our way out of there.
                Tom & Judy
                2011 36RSSB3 w/vanity slide Born 6/15/2011 FOR SALE SOLD

2012 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 4x4 SOLD
                sigpic States stayed in while fulltiming

Comment

Having gone thru the window replacement when Hehr was providing the replacements free, the Fog Dr seems pretty expensive. But, it wasn't too long before the replacements also fogged. So, when I get to the point of replacing them again, I will use the Fog Dr as they aren't too far from home.
                  Joe
                  2005 36TK3 #1869
                  2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by rv'n View Post
                    Do you know if DRV will let you pick up the windows from their factory or from Hehr? We have friends going to the factory in a couple of weeks and we will probably be in the SE Michigan area for July and could make a side trip while heading up there or on our way out of there.
                    I believe DRV actually shipped my windows from their factory.
                    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Just a wee bit of update for those contemplating their fogged windows: I haven't checked prices for defogging,but if they are anywhere near those of 2014,they are way cheaper than replacing frameless: DRV no longer has or supplies HEHR windows,sent me to a supplier in Elkhart. A frameless 48x18 was quoted at $789.xx. Of course that's exclusive of shipping and installation. I don't even want to think about what a larger window would cost.
                      2010 36tk3 (5173) 2015 Chev 3500 D/A

Comment

Working...
                      X