Cabinet catches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet catches

Either here or Thor had a source for those cabinet catches. I can't seem to find it. Any one with a part number and/or source?
    Thanks Tom

Tom, you might check with DRV and see if they will send you a few for spares at no charge or if not what they sell them for and what shipping would cost. We had one break right after we got our trailer and they sent us 5 for spares. After I replaced that one we have not had any others break. I think they tightened the screw to tight on that one and it broke off at the screw.

I have found them at Amazon and saved them in my wish list in case I need more in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I05TUQ...OK0TSNJL&psc=1
    Last edited by Hunter11; 08-08-2016, 07:26 PM.
    2017 Chevy 3500 4X4 C/C DRW D/A
    2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
    Comfort Ride 245 Hitch

Comment

I've had several of these break over the years, and someone posted a recommendation on the issue (some time back) that I implemented. If you remove the latch screws and install small washers under the screws, it reinforces the hole in the latch and leads to longer life for these expensive latches (see photo). I went to Home Depot and bought the washers in bulk. It took me a couple of hours, but I installed the washers on every latch and have not had one break since that time. It was worth the time and effort and didn't cost much at all.
      2013 Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
      2012 F350 DRW 6.7L Turbocharged Diesel (3.73)

Comment

I also did the washer trick under the screws which may explain why we have not had anymore break. I believe I bought a package of 100 #10 flat washers at Lowes.
        2017 Chevy 3500 4X4 C/C DRW D/A
        2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
        Comfort Ride 245 Hitch

Comment

I'm the one that came up with the washer trick and I think the last time I bought them at DRV they were a lot cheaper than the Amazon post above. I may be wrong but I think they were less than $3 each.
          sigpic
          Bob & Judy Schmader
          2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
          2001 F550 Starhauler
          www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
          IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

I ordered some from www.rvpartsdealer.com a few years ago. You could order both pieces separately and much cheaper than Drv charges. I ordered the push latch strike, part # 31-1483.
            Jan & Thomas
            2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
            2012 Ford F350
            Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

I don't understand how the washers would prolong the life of the latches. The part that always breaks for us is the spring loaded catch in the other part of the latch.

See link image: RV Cabinet Latch

What we had heard would be a good replacement for the latches would be tension latches that allow one to adjust the tension for the latches. See the link below to another RV'er that replaced his latches. In the picture of the brass latch, you can see the adjustment screw.

Upgrade Your Drawer Latches

When I asked someone how one could install these new latches without being able to see where they went, they suggested loosening the tension to where the latch barely held and then use double sided sticky tape on the cabinet side of the latch. Close the door, the tape holds the inside part of the latch, and then open the door. Drill the holes for screws and install.

Terry
              Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
              2008 Ford F450
              2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

When I had my boat business, I installed quite a few of these. Good latches.

Another trick for lining them up is to attach one side, put some masking tape where the other piece is going to land and put lipstick on the back of the second piece. Mount it in the installed half and close the door. You will get an imprint on the tape. Makes it easy to see where to put the screws.

Don't forget to put the lipstick back where you found it.

Jim
                Jim and Elaine
                2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longbed Crew Cab
                2016 Houston

Comment

Originally posted by Boatworker View Post
                  When I had my boat business, I installed quite a few of these. Good latches.

Another trick for lining them up is to attach one side, put some masking tape where the other piece is going to land and put lipstick on the back of the second piece. Mount it in the installed half and close the door. You will get an imprint on the tape. Makes it easy to see where to put the screws.

Don't forget to put the lipstick back where you found it.

Jim
                  GREAT advice!
                  39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Ordered Southco SC-4320 from Ugly Fish Inc. found on Amazon. 7.50 and free shipping

Comment

Working...
                    X