Update to Living in Colorado at Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to Living in Colorado at Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort

This is kind of an update to my previous comments under "Pictures & Blogs" where I described our move and showed a few pictures. While one of our main reasons for coming here was to be near Jo's sisters, I've always loved the mountains of Colorado, enough so that we have vacationed in Colorado ever since I was a kid. So, that is decades of vacationing in the mountains.

When we moved here, I spoke to one of the ladies that also lives here and works in the office. She thought I was crazy when I said that I was REALLY looking forward to seeing some good snowfall. I had to explain that in all those decades of vacationing in Colorado, I had NEVER seen the state in Winter, thus I had absolutely no pictures showing that beauty. (No, we don't ski. I just can't seem to understand why I would want to DELIBERATELY throw myself down a mountain.)

Things have actually been pretty good here, but we are blessed in that we are retired and we don't have to get out in the bad weather and go to work. We just raise the blinds and look out upon the beauty that God has provided.

We've experienced temperatures as low as minus 6 degrees without any real problems with cold and water freezing. The park management had our outside line built from PEX line and fittings and then wrapped with heat tape and insulation, so that has never frozen on us. In addition, their above ground hydrant is wrapped with heat tape, and we added a wooden box with some interior insulation added to be put over the hydrant. While the hydrant and water line are protected with heat tape, our Watts pressure regulator is not, so in addition to the box, I also hang a trouble light inside to help keep the interior of the box warm.

Our only issue occurs when the temps get down to about zero, then the hot water line to the kitchen faucet freezes up. I've added an electric heater to the underbelly, but I may still need to do a bit more, or get a more powerful electric heater, because even with it there, we did freeze up on that line one more time. It's not been a problem, possibly because the PEX lines tend to flex and bulge rather than crack or break.

Inside, we keep most of the temps at around 68 degrees on the thermostat and we do supplement some with the fireplace and a couple of electric heaters. We have not been uncomfortable at all with the inside temperatures. I have to say that I am even more impressed with our Mobile Suites.

Now, it's time to quit yapping and show some pictures. Over Christmas, we spent a couple of days in Falcon, CO (just east-northeast of Colorado Springs) at Jo's middle sister's. Her sons are in Tulsa, Oklahoma and over in the Middle East, so we thought she might like some company over the holiday instead of being alone. When we returned to Mountaindale after that, we found 5 inches of snow on the ground, and then that night, we got another 2 1/2 to 3 inches. I just have to say I'm loving it here.

Terry
    Attached Files
    Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

More to come, so grab another blanket and throw over yourself if snow tends to make you chill. The last picture above is of our site and our Mobile Suites. We traded the 2010 Ford F150 (otherwise known as storage shed #1) for the 2014 Ford Expedition seen in that picture. For some reason, Jo seems to think she wanted four-wheel drive while we were up here. I really can't blame her.

One of the next pictures is the other side of our site and trailer, and the box we built and put over the hydrant is visible in that picture. Otherwise, the rest of the pictures are of scenes around the campgrounds or the 1.4 mile loop that we tend to walk when at all possible. Any with snow covered mountains in the distance are taken from west of the RV park, and the mountains are the Sangre de Cristo mountains between Westcliffe and Salida, Colorado.

In the image of the campgrounds with the mountain in the background, one can just make out a cut in the mountain where they have created a "trail" up towards the summit. It doesn't go all the way up, but it is close to the top. One of these days, I need to get up on that mountain and get some pictures from a higher viewpoint. The picture with the wild turkey was taken when Jo and I were walking that "trail" one day.

Terry
    Attached Files
    Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Looks beautiful Terry. Will be out there for a wedding in July. Hope to see you.

Regards.

Michael
      Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
      Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
      2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Great pictures, but my idea of winter is the ability to wear shorts from time to time. That is why we are in Fla. My DW would love to be in the snow country for the winter. She is an upstate NY girl. Try to stay warm!
        sigpic
        Gary and Penny
        2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
        2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Comment

Winter to me means Southern California at below sea level and looking up at the mountain tops to see the snow. I lived in the snow in NW Penna until 1995 and have no desire to ever live it again. Give me temps in the mid 70's like here in SoCa and I'll be in paradise.
          sigpic
          Bob & Judy Schmader
          2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
          2001 F550 Starhauler
          www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
          IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

We got a nice blanket of snow yesterday near Fort Wayne, IN. But it didn't stick on the trees like yours.

Woke up this am to 7deg when David left for work. But was only 4deg when I got up, even with the sun shining. Still able to take a nice warm shower and am washing clothes.

Did notice the moisture from running the humidifier has frozen inside on the lower windows. Also noticed, the water line feeding the icemaker has frozen. But up until today, the modification David made has worked in below freezing temps.

Think we're due for another refill on the large propane tank. Sure is nice to have them come to us instead of David having to haul empty's back and forth. Looking forward to leaving in early March and going anywhere.
            Vickie & David
            SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
            Alicia - Custom kitchen
            2014 F450 KR 4x4
            Titan 65g tank
            2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Great pictures Terry. Loved your comments about modifications you have made to keep warm and also keep the water running.

Debbie used to think she wanted to camp in the snow, however as we both have aged, we find that we prefer the warmer climates, hence we winter in southern Arizona.

Joe
              2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 Flame Red Dually 3.73 Aisin transmission
              2012 DRV Select Suites 38TKSB3 #6011

Comment

Mountaindale is a nice campground and David, the owner, is always helpful. We relocated to Colorado Springs a couple of years ago and stayed at Mountaindale in our TT for 7 months while looking for property. We met some really nice folks there and many of them are fulltimers. When we got moved into a S&B we realized how much we missed being in the campground. We have now decided to go fulltime in a 5th wheel. DW has spent the last year getting rid of all the stuff we have collected over the years. Hope to go fulltime in 2015 and hopefully sooner rather than later. We have looked at so many units and floorplans that it boggles the mind. So far in our research MS is on the short list. Now it comes down to finding the right floorplan and the right dealer.

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Welcome to the forums. It is definitely a good place to get information. Another good one is called RV Dreams and is more in line with information for full-timing. Both the owners of the website and the folks on the forums are helpful with answers to questions.

You are so right about David at Mountaindale. The staff is pretty good as well. They are currently working on getting better WiFi here at Mountaindale, and since we are planning on staying here from 1 to 3 years, that would really be beneficial. We just have to work out an issue with our cell service. But, Wilson Electronics may have an new solution for that. Mountaindale had 5 RV's spend last winter here and this year it is closer to 20 to 25 rigs.

As for dealers, there is one somewhere in Colorado, but if you want to look at all options, check out Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK. They are an excellent dealer and Alicia even has some custom designs for the kitchen. When you check out their website, you won't see many prices listed on the new units, so you'll need to call her to see what prices are for either their "stock" units or for custom orders. She doesn't list prices on new units because DRV has a "minimum advertised price."

Terry
                  Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry,

I've been to RV Dreams and most of the other sites trolling for information. It would seem Rolling Retreats and RVs4Less are the two most popular dealers for MS. The dealer in Colorado is Century RV. They had a couple of MS coaches at the Denver RV show a couple of weeks ago. Really liked the coaches but not real impressed with the dealer rep.

If I can get out to Mountaindale in the coming weeks I will stop in and see you. It looks like you are parked next to Mark, the electrician.

Mike

Comment

Speaking of dealers...We'll be heading to CO in March. Gotta find some of that Rocky Mountain "high".
                      Paul

2013 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/Triple Axles and a Hydralift motorcycle lift
                      2013 Ford F450 with a hauler bed

Comment

Originally posted by OToole View Post
                        Terry,

I've been to RV Dreams and most of the other sites trolling for information. It would seem Rolling Retreats and RVs4Less are the two most popular dealers for MS. The dealer in Colorado is Century RV. They had a couple of MS coaches at the Denver RV show a couple of weeks ago. Really liked the coaches but not real impressed with the dealer rep.

If I can get out to Mountaindale in the coming weeks I will stop in and see you. It looks like you are parked next to Mark, the electrician.

Mike
                        Mike,

Yes, we are right next to Mark. We love this site because the windows on our door side let us look out and see the sunrises. Also, a number of the deer walk right through our site when they are coming and going. Love it here.

Look below for some sunrise pictures I took on Saturday, January 17.

We'd also like to meet you as well. Jo has a sister that lives out on the east side of Falcon, so we get into Colorado Springs as much as 2 or 3 times a week. If you want sometime, we could even meet up with you in the Springs. If you are open for that, shoot me a private message with your phone number, and we can get together sometime there.

Terry
                        Attached Files
                        Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by Psaint View Post
                          Speaking of dealers...We'll be heading to CO in March. Gotta find some of that Rocky Mountain "high".
                          Hey, Paul. They have some greenhouses in a small town about 14 miles south of us that have gone to growing the stuff.

And, no....

....we aren't "imbibers" of the evil weed, but we do take in the high mountains when we can. Jo just doesn't like the road going up to the summit of Pike's Peak. Something about a road on a mountainside with no guardrails bothers her.

Terry
                          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

If we didn't have to be on the east coast for the summers I would definitely be in CO as much as possible. My favorite state!
                            We were heading south out of Ouray on 550, curvy and no guard rails on the motorcycle. I kept moving to the right to look down, finding it incredible. My wife had a reaction similar to Jo's. I kept getting jabbed in the ribs 'til I moved left.
                            We'll be going to Mesa Verde NP and probably Durango in March, hoping the weather is OK.
                            Paul

2013 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 w/Triple Axles and a Hydralift motorcycle lift
                            2013 Ford F450 with a hauler bed

Comment

Terry,

We are east and north of Falcon on 4 acres. We are busy finishing the walk-out basement in preparation for selling in the spring so we can go full-time. Wife is also busy selling as much "stuff" as she can. Needless to say we are staying pretty busy. We do get to Mountaindale periodically to check on our trailer that is stored there. We will stop by the next time we are there. Talking with those that have gone full time is always informative.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X