Winter is Coming....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is Coming....

Last week, on one of our walks to the ridge road west of Mountaindale RV Resort, we noticed the first snow on the Sangre de Cristo mountains to the west and south of us. I didn't have my camera with me that day, so this was taken the day after. We've also got snow on Pike's Peak and one of the other higher mountains just west of Colorado Springs. Looking forward to Winter #2.

Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Finally!! It's cooled down enough for those of us in southern Texas to start our RVing season.

Rusty
    Rusty & Sandy Creekmore
    2 Shelties - Coby & Callie + Conner the Campground Cat

Prior - 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291; Current - 2014.5 MS 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, B&W RVK3600 hitch

Comment

While I'm not looking forward to the winter season, we have committed to being at a COE park on Beaver Lake, AR until mid December, then head to Tucson. Here's hoping El Nino doesn't affect AZ that much
      Jan & Thomas
      2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
      2012 Ford F350
      Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by missourijan View Post
        While I'm not looking forward to the winter season, we have committed to being at a COE park on Beaver Lake, AR until mid December, then head to Tucson. Here's hoping El Nino doesn't affect AZ that much
        Are you work camping?
        Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
        Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
        2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Comment

Hmmmm............we had 77 degrees and sunshine in Amado, AZ today.

Joe

Comment

So far, down to 23.7 degrees this morning. Very light dusting of snow on the vehicles. A pair of deer just walked by our site. Quiet, calm breezes, and a beautiful park. Just waiting for more snow to photograph. When it comes, we need to go to Garden of the Gods and get pictures of it with a blanket of snow. Ought to be AWESOME.

Pike's Peak last Wednesday, November 18. First shows winds at the peak blowing snow around at 14,000 plus feet. Last ones are a sunset shot with the sun just behind the Peak. Two to three minutes later and all that color was gone. Good timing. Thanks, God.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I think winter is here. Thanksgiving day, it never got above 28 degrees while we were in town for Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. Driving back to the park Thursday night, we were getting a bit of sleet and even more snow. Woke up yesterday morning to see this right at our site. We never got out for our walk because it never got above 23 degrees yesterday, and it stayed cloudy all day. We got more snow last night, making it look like roughly 4 inches total, but I've not taken pictures yet today. As of 9:00am, it is already up to 24 degrees and the conditions are sunny. So, I imagine we will get our for our 2 mile walk today sometime, and I'll get pictures then. We'll likely walk up to the ridge road and I can get snowy pictures of the walk and off towards the Sangre de Cristo mountains from the ridge road.

So, here's yesterday's pictures.

I don't care what you think, it is beautiful here.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry that's Beautiful but NO THANKS!!!
                39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Oh, c'mon, Cummins. 7:30 this morning and it was 18 degrees and now almost 19. The severity of Winter depends on where you are. In Oklahoma City, we also had to contend with higher humidity and much stronger winds. Here at Mountaindale, we are right at the base of a mountain, so there generally isn't much wind and Colorado's humidity is a whole lot lower. Where Oklahoma would have me wanting long-handled underwear, we got out yesterday in temps around 23 degrees and took our morning walk up to the ridge road, then back to the park and around part of it. While I did have on a winter hat that would keep my ears warm, I didn't need anything all that heavy for a coat. Before we came up here, we bought me two brand new coats with parkas and good insulation. Would you believe that those are still in storage, even after almost a year and half.

Now, if we had been up at Jo's sister's house east of Colorado Springs, that is out on some prairie and the wind really blows there at times. There I would need a heavier coat.

I just tried to post some pictures with this and got a strange error message. Maybe someone can explain this message to me. In the meantime, I'll try posting photos in following comments.

Although this next comment isn't related to the error message, the software simply logged me off by itself. I've seen this happen with other forums using vBulletin. If one plans to be on the forum for an extended period and posting a lot of information or pictures, one would probably want to click the "Remember Me" button when they log on. I guess the software decides if one isn't navigating through the forums for a while, it logs one off.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

OK. Now I'll try the photos again in following comments. These are photos taken yesterday (as mentioned in the previous comment} while on our walk.

Here are some more photos, some taken at our site so everyone can see how much more snow we got and some from our walk up to the ridge road and back.

There is about 4 inches of snow on this mailbox.

After a snowfall, we step out on the stairs and landing for entry to the RV to clean it off. Us old folks need the most we can in help getting in and out of things. The early snows up here tend to be relatively dry and they sweep right off easily. Later snows then tend to be wetter, and those take more work. In the following photo, Jo had put out a rug that was deteriorating on the backing, and it held the little bit of ice and snow, so we later just hauled it off to the trash. No sense leaving it and having an area we can't sweep clean.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I love showing photos that I've taken, so here are some more from yesterday's walk.

In this next one, the road is in shadow, but the hill in the background at the end of the road is lit by the sun.

The trees at the very top of this shoulder of the mountain is touched by the sun.

More sun tinged trees.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We encountered one of the neighbors on our walk. We are so fortunate to have them used to humans, so they don't go running off at the first sight of us. There have been a number of them passing through the campground this morning, and I've even heard of some people having the experience of hand feeding one or two.

I just love having good zoom lenses. This is the same neighbor.

Our timing was pretty good for our walk yesterday. Within about an hour to an hour and a half of our walk, we were pretty well covered with clouds. Have the same going on today, so I suspect we won't see melting snow until tomorrow.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                        X