No announcement yet.

Our New Home "Location"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been in that area many times, lots of great pic opps.
    How is the Suites holding up? Traded my '05 for a '15 RSSA and gone full-time. Maybe we'll run across each other some time...
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Joe,

The Suites is doing quite well. There isn't much we've ever had to do with it, mostly since we don't move our RV much. As you probably remember, we try to stay in an area for at least a year before moving again. However, this morning I went out to open the grey tank valve so Jo could do laundry and it was very hard to open. It looks like I might have to address that issue in the not too far future.

When I get a chance, and that might be today because we start our 6 day weekend today, I will post a few pictures that I took last week of a short drive called Johnson Canyon Road.

Terry
      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
      2008 Ford F450
      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Well, I've fallen down on the job again. I didn't get back very soon to post some pictures, so I will post a few today of the Johnson Canyon drive I wrote of above. Just for information, the photos I put in today are just teasers of what you can find at my Smugmug site, which is linked in my signature area below. If you go to the Smugmug site, click on the "Browse" button at the upper center of the "home" page and select from there. You'll see folders and galleries, and all the folders have additional folders and/or galleries within them.

Photobucket messed up a lot of people when they changed their policies and decided that if we wanted to post photos to forums (called 3rd party hosting), then we would have to pay $400 a year. Smugmug, even for its most expensive option, is only $300, but I got in on a cheaper option than that and I like it a whole lot more. Seeing the pictures at Smugmug is far superior to seeing Photobucket images.

Anyway, here is an image of an arch visible up Johnson Canyon Road.

This is an old "set" for the Gunsmoke TV series. And by the way, there have been 101 movies done in the Kanab area over the years.

The Grand Staircase - Escalante is a beautiful area. In this image, the red bluffs are part of the Vermillion Cliffs of the Grand Staircase. In the background, you can see part of the next "stairstep," that being the White Cliffs.

Petroglyphs on a canyon wall in Johnson Canyon. Sadly, a lot of the "attractions" of Johnson Canyon are on private property, so one needs either binoculars or a camera with telescopic capability.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Now, for some other area attractions. For your information, Kanab, Utah is roughly 75 to 80 miles from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, roughly 35 to 40 miles from Zion National Park, and 75 to 80 miles from Bryce Canyon National Park. And, those are just a start of getting to see the beauty of this area of the U.S.

Here's a North Rim of the Grand Canyon photo.

Now, one from Zion National Park. Specifically, the three peaks that are white are named after Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and this is called "The Court of the Patriarchs."

Bryce Canyon National Park at Sunset Point. I'm not positive, but I think that single spire in the lower center of the photo is called Thor's Hammer.

About 40 miles East of Kanab on Highway 89 towards Page, Arizona is an attraction called "The Toadstools." They are sandstone columns with a "caprock" on top that is harder and less prone to erosion. One has to walk back off of the highway about 3/4 of a mile or so to reach them, but the colors and formations are fabulous.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

There are two highways that one can take to get from Kanab, Utah to Page, AZ. Highway 89 runs mostly along in Utah until just a few miles out of Page. The other is Highway 89A which runs down towards the Kiabab Plateau (where the Grand Canyon is located) and then East towards Page. Along Highway 89A, one runs along the Vermillion Cliffs to Lee's Ferry and then Marble Canyon before going on to link up with Highway 89 running from Page down towards the South Rim or on to Flagstaff.

This first picture is of the Vermillion Cliffs.

Lee's Ferry area, where those wishing to "float" the Colorado through the Grand Canyon start their journey. Way back in the day, this was the only place for mile where one could cross the Colorado River. The Lee's Ferry area is considered to be the start of the Grand Canyon, so when they say it is 277 miles long, it starts here.

This is Marble Canyon, just downstream from Lee's Ferry a short distance. There are two bridges here called the Navajo Bridges. The northern one (where I am standing to take this picture) is the old bridge and is now only a pedestrian bridge. The bridge in the image below is the newer one for vehicular traffic. However, the greatest interest might be a black "spot" to the left of the picture and below the bridge. That "spot" is a California Condor. They roost on ledges at the upper part of Marble Canyon. Back close to where Highway 89A comes down off of the Kiabab Plateau, there is a road called House Rock Valley Road. About 3 miles up that road, there is a viewing area. From that viewing area, one can watch when they decide to release a Condor into the wild from the top of one of those cliffs.

Now, I must confess that when I took this photo, I never even noticed the Condor. If I had have noticed it, I would have zoomed in on it to get a better picture of it. I think I'm losing my "sense of observation."

The following is probably one of the most photographed areas from this part of the country. It is called Horseshoe Bend, and back in the day, it wasn't such a popular place, but now the tour buses have found it and a lot of them stop and disgorge their passengers to make the 1 1/2 mile hike to the rim and back. Sadly, I have joined that immense band of photographers that have photographed the natural beauty here. But hey, if everyone else is doing it, why not.

Like I mentioned earlier, these are just teasers. If you want to see more, click on the link in the signature area below at the Smugmug link.

Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Thanks for the pics Terry!!! Truly AMAZING.
              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

We have done all those areas before, but our pictures are not near your level of expertise! Nice photos Terry.

Joe

Comment

Joe,

I like to tell everyone that God is the artist in most of my photos, and I'm just fortunate that the wife is generous enough to allow me to buy the camera equipment with which to "capture" the Master Artist's handiwork.

Photobucket messed up when they came down and demanded that "members" must pay $400 a year in order to be able to post photos to forums. Instead, I moved over to Smugmug, where even their professional plan is less than $400. I'm on a plan where I could sell photos, if I ever get around to setting that up, but for now, I just like sharing what we get to see.

And, there has been surprising reaction to me going to Smugmug. I recently found out that Smugmug keeps statistics on one's photos, and in the almost 11 months since I moved over to them, there have been almost 170,000 "image views" of my photos. And, the scary part is that I have uploaded over 20,000 photos to Smugmug to share. Believe it or not, the photo gallery that has the highest number of views is the one where I posted my photos of the Kanab Balloon Festival this last February.

I am SO blessed to be able to do what we are doing.

Terry
                  Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

VERY nice Terry!
                    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Working...
                    X