I Got Chastised Today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got Chastised Today....

Wife and I drove over to Elk City to talk to Alicia and Slade at Rolling Retreats, specifically to talk to Slade about a couple of maintenance issues on our 2010. Alicia told me in no uncertain terms that I needed to get back to checking out and communicating here at SOITC's forums. Since we have mostly lived in places long term (20 months in Colorado, 17 months in Oregon, 9 months in Utah), we haven't been in a position to attend any SOITC rallies, so we let our membership lapse.

We are now back in Oklahoma (came back to help youngest son after a surgery), and we are likely going to get back into a paid up membership at SOITC. Looks like we will be here for an extended time (possibly up to 2 years), so we might be able to do more since we aren't volunteering anywhere.

We have our 50th anniversary coming up in December and the wife just bought me an early anniversary present. Those that know me know that I'm into photography, and she bought me a Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 lens so that I can "snipe" some wildlife. As a penance for not being here much, here is a few photos.

First...the new lens.

This next picture was taken with a "normal" lens at 50mm because that is close to what the human eye basically sees. This is at the 45th Infantry Museum in Oklahoma City, which is an excellent museum, especially if one has an interest in history and historical firearms.

Now, with the new 200-500mm lens, this is at 200mm.

This one is at the 500mm setting.

Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
    2008 Ford F450
    2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Here are a few more that I've taken this week in testing the lens.

I'm really happy with this lens. All of these shots above of the wildlife were taken without using a tripod, and only the two closeups of the ducks did I have time to compose and really focus the camera. The other two, of the birds in flight, were just shot on the fly, so to speak.
    Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I have always enjoyed your photos Terry!
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

You have an EXCELLENT lens there Terry! Nikon glass is tough to beat. I too have enjoyed your pics from a far! There's a lot of beauty in this great country of ours, your pictures remind us of that.

A couple of years ago I "sprung" for a Tamron 150mm to 600mm. I love the performance of my Tamron BUT IMHO you can't beat Nikon! Here's a few examples of my "free standing " (no tripod) shots I got this June while we were "bird" watching in Decorah Iowa. Maybe you've heard of the Decorah Eagles, they're on the internet, my wife loves to stream their videos! A fun place to watch the eagles! Obviously they can't read...... There's NO fishing allowed at the fish hatchery where these shots took place. LOL

Dan

Comment

I'm jealous, Dan. While we saw bald eagles when we did an Alaskan cruise and land tour in 2005, I didn't have the good camera equipment then. In fact, it was pictures taken on that cruise that prompted me to get back into SLR cameras with better lenses. After the cruise, I saw some pictures of another guy on the same cruise that had excellent photos of some sea lions on a rocky bank. My pictures weren't even close to good.

I had a guy yesterday tell me of where I might see one or two eagles here in the Oklahoma City area. Methinks I need to ALWAYS carry this lens with me.
          Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry, I was told years ago the best camera is the one you have WITH ya!!!!!

Dan

Comment

I frequently "look" at this lens on Amazon. Everything I look at shows up on a feed at the bottom whenever we look at the main page. My wife hasn't go the hint yet ......

BTW, if you are interested and seeing eagles on the east coast, the Conowingo Dam in Maryland in the fall is a haven for eagle watching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...=.a69d64f52507

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
              We have our 50th anniversary coming up in December and the wife just bought me an early anniversary present. Those that know me know that I'm into photography, and she bought me a Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 lens so that I can "snipe" some wildlife. As a penance for not being here much, here is a few photos.

First...the new lens.

Thanks,
              Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
              2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by porthole View Post
                I frequently "look" at this lens on Amazon. Everything I look at shows up on a feed at the bottom whenever we look at the main page. My wife hasn't go the hint yet ......

BTW, if you are interested and seeing eagles on the east coast, the Conowingo Dam in Maryland in the fall is a haven for eagle watching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...=.a69d64f52507

Duane,

Initially, we heard of the 200-500mm on a YouTube video put out by Tony and Chelsea Northrup. They were actually reviewing two other rigs with 500mm prime lenses and mentioned that if one didn't want to spend the big bucks for a 500mm, then the 200-500 mm was a good choice. I then looked at some other reviews, but for the most part, I thought I liked it, but I wasn't totally sold on it. Then, I ran across another YouTube review of the lens by a guy that put the 200-500mm up against a Nikkor 500mm. After taking pictures of a teddy bear in his back yard, he then went inside and looked at them on his computer. He "magnified" them by 2 to the point that one was mostly looking at the teddy bear's nose. There was a thread across the nose that with the 200-500mm was just as sharp as the one with the 500mm.

The 200-500mm costs $1400 and the 500mm prime costs around $12,000.

That is when I really got interested in the lens. I've not had much more of an opportunity to use it, with the next time being at the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge here in Oklahoma. I got a few images of a Bison there. Our next trip will be to Colorado for a week starting this Sunday, so I hope to get to use it up there.

These two Bison were out quite a ways, so it took all 500mm to get this close to them.

This guy was only about 35-40 feet away (I think...I'm guessing that distance from the road and across the right of way to the Bison.

Terry
                Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

I like the lens .....
                  The 500mm, even it it wasnt over $10k is just a special use piece of glass

At least with the zoom you haves lot of flexibility.

Nothing wrong with good zooms. The purist who use to poo-poo them are now using iPhones for test shots.
                  Thanks,
                  Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
                  2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Working...
                  X