Replace Winegard Antenna and Rotating Base

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Winegard Antenna and Rotating Base

Looks like my antenna took a hit on very first pull. Way-to-go Moe!!! Don't want to debate who left it up as I was driving so it is my responsibility. We have a 30 inch WiFi piggy-backed also to make this an even better tree tickler.

Antenna was stuck in the up position so had to mechanically disconnect so I could lower. Prior to disconnect, we tried raise, lower, and rotate and none would work. It is dead! RIP.

Advice please on replacing antenna and rotating head. Is this a DIY or take it to service center? Best place to purchase parts?

Thank you.
    Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
    Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
    2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Never had to replace antenna, (did stretch the power cord once) yet but we do use a check list. Includes the antenna, power cord, water hose, all doors/ compartments locked, tire chalks removed and stored and some other things. We have two of them one for inside the unit and one for the truck. Pat is in charge of the inside and I do the truck/ outside. when we are getting ready to move I put the Truck one on drivers seat. Had them laminated. Both have all the info one on the front other on back. Last thing we do is look over it when starting up before pulling out. Have added to it over the years as we find more things. Vents closed, sink empty, furnace A/C off ect. Hind site I know but has worked for us.
    2008 32 TK3 Mobile Suite #4311
    2011 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Duramax DRW
    Trailer Saver TS3
    Tire Monitor

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems. You might want to check with Ryan Miller at DRV. They are pretty good at selling parts for owners. The replacement shouldn't be too bad, does the base need change out ? I know Windguard sells parts for those problems. Well you know you'll never do that again. Good Luck.
      Wayne & Marti
      Yogi, Shelter Dog RIP

2012 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 w/Vanity Slide 5994 traded in
      2014.5 Elite Suite. 38RSSA w/vanity Slide 7128
      2012 F350 Ford 4WD OLD BLUE

Viet Nam Vet 70-71

http://yogi154.blogspot.com/

Comment

Michael,

Once you acquire the new antenna it won't be too difficult to change them out. The hardest part will be getting everything up/off the roof. You'll get instructions with the new antenna. Better yet, you already have your current antenna up there so you can see how it all goes together.

Consider this. If you take it to a dealer to have the job done, the tech may have never replaced a similar antenna before. He'll be learning on your coach at over $100/hr out of your pocket.
        Jim & Barb
        www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
        2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
        2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
        Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
        Volvo 770
        2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

We were luck once driving down the freeway with the antenna fully up and someone did the wave/point thing. Lucky because we were approaching an overpass.

Since that near miss and also leaving door handle and steps out we BOTH do a complete walk around to verify all is road ready.

You may not even need to replace the base it's self. DRV is great for selling parts to you at their cost plus shipping.
          39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Hello, always do the walk around and when your done do it again. There is always something!
            BobQ
            Bob & Snookie
            2012 38RSSB3/VANITY SLIDE
            2006 F-550 CUSTOM HAULER BED / Auto Air Ride
            TrailerSaver TSL3 Hitch

Comment

Thanks folks. Learning to drive, park, maneuver, back up, set up, breakdown has been a very humbling learning experience. I have learned more than one lesson the hard way.

I am working with my dealer to get the parts for an entire new antenna. Just wondering if anybody can talk me through the replacement process or if I should just take it to the shop.

Thanks.

Comment

Moe,
                Can you post a picture of the damage, maybe you don't need everything. I can't see it being that big of a job, I'm sure you can fix it. Just get the roofing caulk. Look at Windguard web site for parts too. Good Luck
                Wayne & Marti
                Yogi, Shelter Dog RIP

2012 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 w/Vanity Slide 5994 traded in
                2014.5 Elite Suite. 38RSSA w/vanity Slide 7128
                2012 F350 Ford 4WD OLD BLUE

Viet Nam Vet 70-71

http://yogi154.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can learn a lot by tackling it yourself. A dealership is always there if you try and fail.
                  Jim & Barb
                  www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
                  2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
                  2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
                  Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
                  Volvo 770
                  2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

I am not mechanically inclined. However, I know that living this lifestyle will require that I learn some new skills. Something like this, I'll give it a try. Replace the brakes on the trailer...NOT!

I figure the antenna and the hubs will keep me busy on our next outing. I have been to Sears and HD trying to find 2.25 socket for hubs so I can properly torque. No joy. Amazon, here I come.

Thanks folks.

Comment

good morning,
                      you may find that socket and a lot more at mcmaster- carr, great source,
                      Neil

Comment

Originally posted by moeandflo View Post
                        I have been to Sears and HD trying to find 2.25 socket for hubs so I can properly torque. No joy.
                        Try Tractor Supply. About 16 bucks. Next to Amazon, my favorite place to haunt.

Hope this helps.
                        01zeosix
                        '08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
                        100% LED Lighting
                        Duramax DRW Diesel
                        Almost "Dunworkin"

Comment

Originally posted by 01zeosix View Post
                          Try Tractor Supply. About 16 bucks. Next to Amazon, my favorite place to haunt.

Hope this helps.
                          01zeosix is correct. This lock nut socket is "automotive", so you can also check NAPA, O'Reilly's, or any auto parts store. If you have a spare cap, take it with you to check, otherwise buy the next size larger and use several thicknesses of paper towels to adapt the size and protect the cap. You might need an adapter too for the drive between the torque wrench and the socket.

Ron

Comment

Thanks all. I found socket and the needed adapter at MSCDirect. Waiting to hear from Ken on parts.
                            Have a great weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X