Replacing Part of My Rotted Slide Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Part of My Rotted Slide Floor

Friends, Just writing to say I found part of the floor has rotted on my 2015 MS where the clothes washer goes. There were no water leaks from the washer, the plumbing nor the washer drain. The leaks appear to have com from a poorly caulked bracket/support on the lower side of the electric slide. I had read this was a problem and caulked it last year, but apparently I was too late. There had not been water in the wood for a long time. I store the unit in my shop, so it only got wet when it rained when we were camping traveling. No smell, no mold; I would not have found it had I not been replacing my Splendide for separate washer and dryer last week. I could seem to level the washer so I felt down and there floor under the linoleum was crunchy. My caulking was good, but the damage had already been done. The factory sealant had cracked and the strip of putty caulk was too low, allowing water to leach in every time it rained, and we had a lot of rain on our trips. Of course the unit has been out of the manufacturers warranty for some time and extended warranty doesn't cover leaks. I would be without the unit for a couple of months and be out a few thousand dollars if I turned it into the dealer I purchased it from, so I'm repairing myself. Take a look. I'll post pics as I make progress. Cheers, Ron
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
    2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Good luck!

Comment

Finished-Ext.jpgMaterials.jpgAlmost Done.jpgJack-Setup.jpg

Comment

How are you joining the edges of the plywood together?
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I'm using the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 6 screws on the long edge, 4 screws on the short edge and industrial adhesive. I will be able to easily stand on it when done and I'm 240. a skinny 240.

Comment

While glue for linoleum and caulking is drying inside utility closet for final comments and pictures, I'm providing a picture of the screws representative of what I removed from the long facia panel/L channel on the slide. Forty screws were all rusty and eight broke off. I also show a stainless steel screw I installed in
            their
            place. My RV is stored inside, so the only time it's out in the weather is when we're camping and the total non consecutive 7 months it was at the dealer for warranty. Ron

Screws-Slide.jpg
            Last edited by Wiredawg Chief; 09-28-2018, 11:50 AM. Reason: added comments and corrected spacing.

Comment

^^^^^ Very normal! PATHETIC!!!
              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Wow, that's INCREDABLE the amount of rotten wood, especially for being stored inside! Wow...... Hope your fix does the trick, the repair looks really good. While we were at Rolling Retreats we saw Slade working on a slide floor too, it was a much larger slide, I'm thinking more like what 12V98 has, off door side. Slade had the entire slide removed and laying on saw horses, the floor material had just been delivered while we were in his shop! HUGE project to say the least!

Glad you got yours done with relatively less labor.

Dan

Comment

I'm finished today. Had the damage been worse, I'm afraid I would have had to resort to the dealer. I wouldn't take on removing a slide. The contact cement is dry and fumes are gone. Got drugged yesterday, even with lots of ventilation (fantastic fans floor fans and open windows. I'm going out in a few tot take final pictures and comments. I did a modification that I'm sure will evoke some discussion.

Although I spent my military and civil service career in the communications and Information Technology fields, I am an Industrial Technologist. In the process of conducting the repairs on this unit, I'm seeing the benefit and need for creating a comprehensive preventative maintenance inspection (PMI) checklist. I see running this checklist about every 3 to 6 months in order to identify problems early. I'm thinking there are a lot of talented do it yourselfers on this forum who could be contributors. For example, I had my Never-Leak leak and I had to remove it, disassemble it and rebuild it...it had a bad gasket. Many of my repair projects are in the field camping. Perhaps we could have it linked as a manual supplement. Anyway, just a thought.

I'll be posting again later. C y'all,

Ron

Comment

Friends,
                    Well I'm done with the repair. Although the replacement is not seamless, it is within tolerances to allow smooth opening and closing of slide and is load bearing, IMHO, to the same specs as original. The mod I created was drilling a two inch hole in my new floor and installing a drain/vent. I was looking at plastic washer pans and decided I could make the utility closet into one by sealing the baseboards, water lines and washer drain with sealant. Note, the sealant goes on white and changes to clear. If a leak should occur, it won't spread all over the RV and will drain out of the drain. We keep clothes washer taps closed when not in use, but some times do laundry while gone.

Drain-bottom.jpg
                    Drain-top.jpgFloor.jpg

I recommend other owners, for the purpose of identifying and preventing slide floor rot, to do a couple of simple tests: knock on the floor around all the outside edges...any hollow sound is a sign of rot. Remove bottom edge screws about every 4 or 5 feet: If the screws are rusted, you could have rot. There is a top seam of the bottom decorative facia panel where there is a bead of sealant from the factory the has cracked/split on every slide. I'm using premium clear sealant on them and forcing it down into the seam. When I removed my bedroom/utility room slide, I ran a small bead in channel just below the top seam. I believe these fixes will work.

Happy to answer any questions or offer any advice (free).

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Does your floor drain have a screen to prevent bugs from entering?
                      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Yes sir, it has a guard and screen. And when the slide is closed, the drain is sealed within the slide compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredawg chief View Post
                          yes sir, it has a guard and screen. And when the slide is closed, the drain is sealed within the slide compartment.
                          nice!!!!!!!
                          39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Great idea. Simple, cheap and functional. Now I have a project for next week if it rains and we can't get in the fields!

Bill

Comment

Hey guys, thought I would mention I finished the project I had started before finding the rot: installing new washer and dryer. All done. All said and done, I still like my MS. Cheers, Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X