Converter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter question

Donít think my converter is working.. Is there an easy way to check it?

Check the battery voltage. You can used the Batt button on the control panel near the door.

Comment

I googled this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...81EF&FORM=VIRE

I also keep a couple of RV repair manuals in my RV, which is in the shop right now. Whether you want to work on your RV yourself or not, I recommend having one of these manuals to help at least understand what you have and how it works.

Cheers, Ron
      2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
      2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Comment

Probably just get a voltmeter and check battery voltage WHEN the unit is has been unplugged for about an hour, and again when it is plugged in--if converter is working, voltage will be around 13.8-14.4 with the power on.
        2005 36TK3 #1869
        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

So, I've been thinking about this, lots of time, had ankle surgery and in bed 12 weeks. A couple of tests come to mind: Check your power control center: check your battery level with RV plugged in and unplugged and see if it is different reading. If it is different (higher) plugged in than unplugged, converter is good, as a first check. If you want to be more thorough, crawl into the basebemnt, open the access doors and approximately centered (at least on mine), is the converter. I think the video link I posted will work at this point. Let us know what you do and what you find.

We work for beers, so don't hesitate to ask for help.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

If you don't let the batteries rest after unplugging them, you with get a false reading of higher voltage--have to let the surface charge on the plates dissipate before checking. Or, just leave it unplugged for an hour or more, check the voltage, then plug it in and check again. Higher reading will indicate converter is working.
            2005 36TK3 #1869
            2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Ok some feedback.. input voltage is 120 and ok.. Output voltage should be 13.6 under normal conditions. That is charging voltage. I had no output voltage. It is possible on the output side of the converter to read battery voltage. Thatís why they suggest disconnecting the White lead. Or with our DRVís we can just turn off the batteries at the push/pull switch. I also installed, some time ago, a digital battery voltage meter that is wired in. So I just open the battery door and see what my voltage is. I have two 6volt sealed AGM batteries. Never add water. Ordered a new converter, easy install, plugged her in and Iím back in business.

Comment

Congrats! Nothing like a successful self-help repair! I like it.

Cheers,

Ron

Comment

Push/pull switch does not disconnect batteries from converter. It only eliminates some of the load from the RV. Hydraulic system is still , partially connected. If residential refrigerator equipped, that is still connected. So white wire disconnect is only sure way!!
                  Bill & Jody
                  2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                  2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

Working...
                  X