Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Electric, Water and Gas Utility Supports Under Slides

Friends,
    Just noticed some wiring hanging down from my DRV and decided to investigate. I found the strap that supports wiring from the frame to the outside edge of the slide partially broken and sagging. I didn't think to take a before photo but did take and after one. I supported the rigging with HD air-conditioning tie wraps that basically removes strain and weight from where the rigging attaches to the slide. I'm recovering from surgery right now, but plan to unfasten the partially broken end and reinforce with wrapping aluminum air conditioning duct tape and use a flat bracket to distribute the remaining weight across the rigging. More to come.

Cheers, Ron
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
    2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

I suggest that you cut off the broken end of the carrier and re-attach it to the frame with a butt hinge. Use small bolts and fender washers to attach the hinge to the carrier.
    Bill M, Ontario, Canada
    2015 MS 38RSSA #7348.
    2009 Ram Dually Diesel, 68RFE, 4.10 axles.
    In Good I Trust

Comment

willym,

Perfect! Your suggestion will make it complete. Gonna do the other end with a hinge, even though no sign of failure.

Thanks a bunch!

Ron

Comment

Hinges have been the fix for most all of these strap breaks--have done this several times on my last Suites, and once already on the '15. The hinges work, suggest a quality plated one with maybe stainless small bolts/washers.
        2005 36TK3 #1869
        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I think I'm going to keep the tie wraps and do the hinges. Both should prevent binding the plastic support.

Thanks. Cheers,

Ron

Comment

You will want to still keep an eye on the strap. I did the hinge fix several years ago, but I've noticed that the plastic strip that is the support device has broken again. Not sure what to do, but I may have to trim the plastic strip and put in a second hinge attached to the first hinge in order to not shorten the plastic strip too much.

Terry
            Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
            2008 Ford F450
            2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Keeping your trailer Terry? Last we heard you were selling it. Walt
              Walt and Judy
              2010 32RS3 MS#5341
              2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD DRW 4WD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Walt View Post
                Keeping your trailer Terry? Last we heard you were selling it. Walt
                Back and forth on it, Walt. After considering it, we decided to keep the RV, at least for now. That would give us time to get the axles and tires replaced. While we were in Tulsa, training for our new job, we had a message from someone interested in the rig. So, we showed it to them. They are in an apartment lease, so they won't need it for about six months. However, we don't know for sure that they want it. If they don't want it, we will probably still keep it and live in it. If they do want it, we will likely sell to them and get an apartment after this job is over.

Terry
                Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                2008 Ford F450
                2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
                  You will want to still keep an eye on the strap. I did the hinge fix several years ago, but I've noticed that the plastic strip that is the support device has broken again. Not sure what to do, but I may have to trim the plastic strip and put in a second hinge attached to the first hinge in order to not shorten the plastic strip too much.

Terry
                  Terry,

I was looking at it and even with the hinge, as the slide closes, it's still binding the end at the slide. I'm trying to determine how to strengthen the plastic, maybe bond some leather to it or something that is strong and pliable. I have been limited as to what I can do the past 12 weeks due to a surgery and hoping I'm cleared to start walking again Monday, 22 Jul. Then, I can put more time to it.

I'll post when I figure it out.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Friends,

Dr added 8 more weeks to heal, so not walking without crutches yet. I have been studying this setup though and think there is more issue with bouncing weight of loaded stripping, especially closed and running down the road. Not sure of y'all's started tearing from the top, but mine did. I think the large tie wraps I added will help support the weight AND add the hinge to reduce binding of the strap.

Once I get better, I'll install the hinge and see how it holds up.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Working...
                    X