Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Electric, Water and Gas Utility Supports Under Slides

Friends,
    Just noticed some wiring hanging down from my DRV and decided to investigate. I found the strap that supports wiring from the frame to the outside edge of the slide partially broken and sagging. I didn't think to take a before photo but did take and after one. I supported the rigging with HD air-conditioning tie wraps that basically removes strain and weight from where the rigging attaches to the slide. I'm recovering from surgery right now, but plan to unfasten the partially broken end and reinforce with wrapping aluminum air conditioning duct tape and use a flat bracket to distribute the remaining weight across the rigging. More to come.

Cheers, Ron
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
    2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

I suggest that you cut off the broken end of the carrier and re-attach it to the frame with a butt hinge. Use small bolts and fender washers to attach the hinge to the carrier.
    Bill M, Ontario, Canada
    2015 MS 38RSSA #7348.
    2009 Ram Dually Diesel, 68RFE, 4.10 axles.
    In Good I Trust

Comment

willym,

Perfect! Your suggestion will make it complete. Gonna do the other end with a hinge, even though no sign of failure.

Thanks a bunch!

Ron

Comment

Hinges have been the fix for most all of these strap breaks--have done this several times on my last Suites, and once already on the '15. The hinges work, suggest a quality plated one with maybe stainless small bolts/washers.
        2005 36TK3 #1869
        2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

I think I'm going to keep the tie wraps and do the hinges. Both should prevent binding the plastic support.

Thanks. Cheers,

Ron

Comment

You will want to still keep an eye on the strap. I did the hinge fix several years ago, but I've noticed that the plastic strip that is the support device has broken again. Not sure what to do, but I may have to trim the plastic strip and put in a second hinge attached to the first hinge in order to not shorten the plastic strip too much.

Terry
            Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
            2008 Ford F450
            2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Working...
            X