Suburban Water Heater Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban Water Heater Issue

Recently, my Suburban water heater quit heating using the electric option. It will heat just fine using the propane option. Last fall, I replaced the heating element and the thermostat. Since then, it was working great until it just stopped a few days ago. In response, I drained and flushed the tank, removed and cleaned the heating element (it still appeared to be in very good condition), and replaced the thermostat (thinking it might have gone bad, again). Still, no hot water using electric. Yes, I checked and reset the circuit breaker for the water heater. Any ideas? Thanks!
    2013 Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
    2012 F350 DRW 6.7L Turbocharged Diesel (3.73)

Never mind. I solved my own problem. I started wiggling around the power cabling that leads to the hot water heater and heard some popping. I then looked up at the electrical junction box, mounted on top of the water heater, and saw sparks and smoke. Another case of poor quality workmanship by DRV. The junction box is going to be a pain in the butt to access for repair.

Comment

Truly SAD!!!
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Update: As expected, the wires in the junction box were completely fried. I cut out the fried sections and SECURELY made the new connections. Problem solved. This was a fire waiting to happen...the second time this has occurred in my MS. The first instance was in a junction box under the master bed...some really sloppy electrical work by DRV. This is how people die in RV fires.

Comment

Working...
        X