Trailair Triglide Lower Jaw Replacement - Not Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailair Triglide Lower Jaw Replacement - Not Happy

I'm pretty much at my wits end with this issue. We bought our 2012 TKSB3 with Vanity slide new in 2012 and pulled it with our 2011 3/4 ton short bed Ford F250 diesel for several years with pullrite auto- slider hitch. It was nose high for sure and I attributed the chucking we experienced to that along with the undersized truck. We bought a new 2017 Ford F350 DRW diesel truck, thinking that we'd like to do a lot more traveling down the road and wanting a more stable safe ride. I bought a Curt Q24 which had good reviews and was rated for what we needed, even if we upgraded later. It did sit lower but we were still nose high somewhat. The chucking seemed worse with the new truck than what we had on the old F250. Thinking the trailer needed to be raised, we added the Correct Track system which added 2" and now we're almost level, very close anyway. Still no help with the chucking. I read several posts about failed Triglides and even though mine hadn't failed, I contacted Lippert. They sent a new stationary, lower jaw at no cost, which I replaced a couple weeks ago. To be honest, I feel the chucking is worse and I'm tempted to put the Triglide back on the pin assembly. The next step would be to purchase a new hitch, thinking maybe the Curt Q24 isn't as good as the reviews have mentioned. I'm leaning toward the B&W 3305 25k hitch, but I'd hate to spend another $1,300 and have the same chucking problem. I've been the to the scales to weigh, and the trailer weighs 17,500 and my pin weight including the hitch is 4,350 lbs or 24.8% of the trailer weight. My wife is going nuts and ready to give it all up entirely. I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

I would highly recommend replacing the pin box on the trailer with a MORryde pin box, http://www.morryde.com/products/101-rubber-pin-box. These rigs are heavy and any chucking is amplified by the weight. Our rig has almost the same weights as yours and after replacing the original solid pin box in 2007, I would not ever pull another rig without MORryde. I also added air bags on my truck to cushion the vertical shock from the trick springs. Now when hitched together, I almost forget the rig is there, except for the truck riding so smooth and a occasional soft gentle tug at some of the really bad bridge transistions.
    Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
    2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

Thanks for the input Rick. What brand of hitch are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by DMF008032 View Post
        Thanks for the input Rick. What brand of hitch are you using?
        I use the Reese Signature series that fits the Ford puck system. I chose it mainly because Ford uses a Reese puck system so no special crossover plate like some of the others and I could pick it up at a local Ford dealer for the same price as anywhere else. It also has a wrap around, one piece jaw, rather than the readitional split jaws. So less play between king pin and jaw. However I have towed the same rig with split jaws and still had the same smooth ride.
        Rick Binns

2006 MS 32TK3, #2765, MorRyde I.S. & Pin Box, Level Up One Touch, 17.5" Wheel Upgrade
        2012 F450 6.7L Diesel w/ Air Bags, Reese 25K Signature Hitch

"Bloom where you are planted"

Comment

I posted the same message on the 5thwheelforum.com and had a similar reply from notanlines regarding the Morryde pin box. Perhaps there’s something to this. I sure hope so, cause when my wife crosses her left leg over the right, all I see is her foot moving back and forth, swaying to the chucking motion of the trailer and of course that “are you kidding me?” look on her face while she’s doing it...

Comment

Keep in mind the cause of chucking in the first place. Basically trailer bounce. Reduce the bounce, reduce the chucking. There may be a reason the newer MS come with Moryde IS systems.
            I would try to find a friend or a friendly dealer with a MS with the Moryde system and go for a ride.

Comment

Have a '17 450/'15 RSSA with the B&W puck hitch/MorRyde pin box. Does an adequate job, some chucking on old highway expansion joints/bridge transitions. Also have the MorRyde IS on the trailer, no risers. Weight 20400, 4800 on truck. Lots of new DRV owners are going to the BD5 from Hensley...big bucks, but haven't heard a complaint from any of them.
              2005 36TK3 #1869
              2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Thanks for the input and advice. I'd be happy with adequate. I've heard from several people that the Curt Q24 is a contributor to chucking and first step I may change to the B&W hitch and put by triglide lower jaw back on, at least until I begin having issues with it.

Comment

DMF008032, I assume you are aware of the occasional failure of the "tri-glide" jaw. I can personally attest to the fact that failure is NOT due to the lack of maintenance! Also, if you are considering a new hitch I strongly recommend the BD 5 trailer saver in combination with the Morryde pin box. I am confident that anything else will be "wish I had"1
                  Bill & Jody
                  2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                  2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

Originally posted by DMF008032 View Post
                    Thanks for the input and advice. I'd be happy with adequate. I've heard from several people that the Curt Q24 is a contributor to chucking and first step I may change to the B&W hitch and put by triglide lower jaw back on, at least until I begin having issues with it.
                    I mentioned the above to you on the other Forum. One thing I wonder what air pressure you are running on your rear tires? I also can't stress enough how important your shocks are on the truck. I know the truck is new but I HIGHLY recommend dumping the shocks and installing a set of Bilstein 4600's.

You have good pin at 25%.
                    39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Cummins,
                      On the last segment 300 miles or so, I lowered the air bag pressure and added some water in the fresh water tank, which did help some. I may lower the rear tire pressure, but it's running at 65 as specified on the door frame. What pressure do you think would be suitable?

CODWISE,
                      I am actually considering the BD5 Trailersaver, but wondering if I'd have issues with this hitch and the Trailair hitch, which I now have the stationary lower jaw. That hitch is expensive $3k and another $600-$700 to replace the Trailair pin? I'm wondering if anyone else is running the BD5 and the Trailair pin box?

Comment

I presently have the BD5 and Morride pin. I think it gives an acceptable ride since I can't have the Trairair. In the past I have pulled my brothers montana that has a Trailair with my BD5. I think it worked great with no adverse effects. Just my opinion, but I really like the Trairair with the stationary lower jaw. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

Comment

DMF008032, In my experience it is the MorRyde pin box that eliminates the "chucking" so that is an important step.If you find someone with the MorRyde look at the flat plate where the top section sits on the plate and you will see the amount of front to back and side to side motion it absorbs. The BD5 will eliminate the sever shock to the pin that you get on rough roads and the severe jounce that it takes at bridge abutments. The "Trailer Saver" series provides 2-3 times more vertical travel than the trail air or the 5thairborn can.
                          Bill & Jody
                          2018 Cumberland (modified!)
                          2016 F450 DRW4X hauler

Comment

If you like to replace the lower jaw of a Trail Air Tri Glide. Lippert Components will give you a lower fixed jaw free. I picked one up
                            last week in Mishawaka, IN. I was there picking up , two new 8000 lb. axles, 4 springs. 4 rotors, and 4 250 Kodiak brake calipers. They had buy one get one free on a warranty for Kodiak never-lub type bearing.
                            Richard & Ginger, Yes I sell Stained Glass Entry Door Windows
                            2011 MS 36RSSB3 #5770 Level Up, Tri-Glide Pin Box & Straight Line Towing
                            2013 RAM Big Horn 6.7 Cummins LETS ROLL

Comment

Working...
                            X