Gelcoat Peeling on Front Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelcoat Peeling on Front Cap

It appears the gelcoat is peeling on top of my front cap. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggested treatments?
    Jerry & Shirley Friedman
    Dusty the Yorkie; Cricket the Shorkie
    2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3

Hi,

Hmmm, I believe the area needs to be sanded, repainted, and clear coated. Its possible to blend it in. Do you preiodically wash and wax your unit. We store ours inside and completel hand wash and wax annually. When I owned a unit that sat outside all the time, we hand waxed every 6 months. These units need this care just like a car.

Maybe a paint expert on the forum has a better idea, but that's what it looks like to me.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Cheers, Ron
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
    2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Comment

Discovered a spot like that a couple years ago. That is your paint and/or gel coat. Our spot on top has not spread so I don't worry about it.

I assume it is one more factory mistake.

Comment

I agree with the suggestion that the paint is in need of a minor repair. I spend the winter at an RV resort in the Palm Springs area and there are numerous mobile RV painters there that specialize in these types of repairs. They match the paint and their work definitely passes the 10 foot test in terms of quality.
        2018 MS 38 RSSA, 2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Comment

Hi Jerry/Shirley,

Just curious what you think of the suggestions presented?

Cheers, Ron

Comment

[Just curious what you think of the suggestions presented?]

I wax the RV twice a year. Not ready for more expenses, so I'll just keep my eye on it and see if it spreads.
            Jerry & Shirley Friedman
            Dusty the Yorkie; Cricket the Shorkie
            2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
            2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3

Comment

It's the clear coat that's failing.
              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Friend,

Just a follow-up:

It WILL spread... that's what clearcoat does when its failing. It's really not hard to do this yourself if you are inclined to do so. Just get some very fine wet-dry sand paper and wet sand the edges to feather them as a transition. Clean the area with a moistened to towel with mineral spirits to clean the area. Mask off the area just beyond where you feathered sanded it. Use a spray can of automotive clear coat and spray two or three light coats. Should work to fix it. Another point to make is the front catches lots of bugs and wind. I actually wash my rig every time I take it out and wax the front cap nearly every time. It seems to help.

EDIT: After posting, I thought to look at your picture again and it looks like the black paint may also be failing. You can follow the same advice above, except start with automotive black spray paint after prep and follow up with clear. These are very light coats. Anyway, it will help.

The next question is where are you located? I live in near San Antonio TX and sun can be brutal down here. Don't know if you are full timing or if you store your unit a lot. If it's the latter, you may want to consider either a soft cover or awning to store it in.

Anyway, just trying to help a fellow camper.

Cheers, Ron
                Last edited by Wiredawg Chief; 10-17-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I was looking at a neighbors SOB this morning. He purchased a Bug Banner (or some such name) a year ago and put it on his 5th wheel. The clear coat is almost completely rubbed off and a lot of the paint. Kind of like a car bra. Sounds good but doesn't work unless your goal is to make your unit look stupid and ruin the paint.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X