Our Shake Down and PDI...and some questions for the current owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Shake Down and PDI...and some questions for the current owners

Ok, so we picked up our unit from RVs for Less in Knoxville on 12/30 and several have followed our journey and want to know how it went. Here are the cliff notes.

First, can I just say we love our unit. It is a sweet Suite.

We spent two days on the dealer lot moving in and inspecting. The unit was in good shape and clean but it just wasn't "Kathy Clean." I hope some of you folks know what I am talking about. We were not provided a PDI form but brought several along. The rep Allen did a good job walking us through the unit and explaining how things work. The weather was cold but they took good care of us and reminded me to put water on and unhook hose due to freezing both nights.

We found a few minior fit, finish, and fixture issues which were all fixed by the team without incident.

Significant issues that we believe others should be aware of and watch for include:
    • We had special antennas installed by DRV on roof and they were mounted horizontal instead of vertical.
    • We had issues with the electronics for the front door lock related to wiring. This has been posted on before. RVs for less fixed this.
    • We had issues with water line to fridge freezing. This too has been posted on before. RVs for Less did not fix this.
    • Our unit sofa had no sleeper component and no air mattress. Ryan is sending an air mattress.
    • We blew all four oil bath hubs somewhere on I-75. I'll blame it on Atlanta. This too has been posted on before. All four leaked on outside of wheels etc. RVs For Less and DRV are working on this. I'll order the better gaskets per post myself.
    • One of the slam-latch baggage doors had just one key lock instead of two.

All in all, a great experience.

Now some questions for you.
    1. Regarding the sofa. I never really pulled one out to look at it but was told it was a sleeper with an air mattress. To me, I envisioned a nice pull out like a traditional hide-a-bed but with an air mattress instead of a lumpy one. The lane furniture has NO pull out at all. Just a storage area. So, that means the air mattress goes on the floor which doesn't work in winter due to floor vents for heat. Is this really the standard? Did units prior to Lane furniture have same issue.

2. Regarding oil bath hubs. All four leaked and we added fluid etc. The fluid is black. Is this just a swap the hub baths and gasket issue or do I have damage. See photo attached.

Thank you.

IMG_5833.JPG
    Michael and Katherine (Moe and Flo on the go)
    Full-time since March 2017

2016 F450, DRW, Crew Cab, Goodyear airbags, TrailerSaver TSLB2H hitch
    2014.5 Elite Suites 38RESB3, vanity slide, customized. #6987

Although mine is a few years older, the sofa has a real mattress. As far as the hubs are concerned, I have seen many an oil bath hub on many types of vehicles and unless they filled it with some new type of dark gear oil it shouldn't be as black as your pic shows. I would insist that they tear down the 4 hubs, inspect, flush and install new seals.
    sigpic
    Gary and Penny
    2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
    2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Comment

Michael-

1. Although my floor plan is different and the unit is a bit older. My sofa came with an inflatable mattress in a bag in the sofa "storage" area (under the cushions). I inflated it once to test but, I've never used it.

2. Do a search in this forum for "oil bath hubs". There has been many posts about your leaking issue. The majority of the solutions seem to revolve around the proper torque applied to the hubs during the install.

Hope this helps- Glad to hear that you love your "Suh-Weet".
      01zeosix
      '08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
      100% LED Lighting
      Duramax DRW Diesel
      Almost "Dunworkin"

Comment

The air mattress does sit on the floor. I had made magnetic covers to go over our vents for summer use so nothing falls into them. I use two of these covers for the two the mattress sits on. The other two are open and not covered by the mattress. Had no issue with furnace running doing this.

You will see from other post that oil bath and I and not friends. Based on DRV recommendation I converted mine to grease. However as stated you will see happy oil bath users also.
        Marshall & Nancy

2013 Elite Suites 38RESB3
        2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD DRW 4WD Duramax
        Solar 880 Watts, 24V

Comment

Hubs

Hi, glad you have your unit, you'll be very happy once you get all the issus taken care of. One thing I would be very conserned with is the wheel hubs, the color oil you discribe doesn't sound right to me . I think you should look under and at the backside of the wheels to see if there is any oil leaking from the seals. I had the same thing with the hubs (caps) leaking and had them replaced twice, turned out to be a much bigger problem. We ended up having all four hub assemblys replaced, that includes brakes and all the other parts. I also have a problem with why do they (DRV) suggest replacing the oil type with the grease type? They are still building them with oil filled bearings. Do yourself a faver and take a look under.
          BobQ
          Bob & Snookie
          2012 38RSSB3/VANITY SLIDE
          2006 F-550 CUSTOM HAULER BED / Auto Air Ride
          TrailerSaver TSL3 Hitch

Comment

Michael and Kathy,

With regards to the slam shut doors (plus all the others), none of the doors on our 2010 have more than one lock per door. In our case, the only time I ever lock ours is when we will actually be towing the coach. All the rest of the time, ours remain unlocked because if someone wants what is in our compartments, it would cost more to repair damage and replace doors than it would to replace what might be stolen.

Our 2010 came with stock furniture (fabric) and our couch also came with a separate air mattress for the couch. We rid ourselves of the couch and the original recliners as they just weren't comfortable. Our recliners were replaced with a La-Z-Boy Reclinaway love seat and where the couch used to be is a small recliner and a sewing center.

Glad to see that you are mostly happy with your coach. Enjoy.

Terry
            Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
            2008 Ford F450
            2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by mnwool View Post
              The air mattress does sit on the floor. I had made magnetic covers to go over our vents for summer use so nothing falls into them. I use two of these covers for the two the mattress sits on. The other two are open and not covered by the mattress. Had no issue with furnace running doing this.

You will see from other post that oil bath and I and not friends. Based on DRV recommendation I converted mine to grease. However as stated you will see happy oil bath users also.
              Good idea for the covers. I am a little leary of anything magnetic as they can do a number on credit cards. But I like the idea. I guess this confirms that the hide a bed is really a hidden air mattress that stores in the storage area under the couch. Perhaps that is really good news as the storage area is nice.

Also, for you and any others who are interested, here is the link to the full set of pictures of my oil bath problem. I am waiting to hear from Greg Weldon at DRV as to next steps.

Happy trails.

Comment

Originally posted by millerjnt View Post
                Michael and Kathy,

With regards to the slam shut doors (plus all the others), none of the doors on our 2010 have more than one lock per door. In our case, the only time I ever lock ours is when we will actually be towing the coach. All the rest of the time, ours remain unlocked because if someone wants what is in our compartments, it would cost more to repair damage and replace doors than it would to replace what might be stolen...
                Terry
                Terry: I understand what you mean about doors. We are still trying to figure things out and understand that some folks just never lock. We are lock-a-maniacs. My immediate concern is that we store our rig in a public storage area. It is nice, well lit, and has cameras. I just think locks keep the opportunistic crooks out. I also use a kingpin lock; I know, rediculous.

I also agree that if they want in, they can get in. Same thing for locking up patio furniture etc when you leave. Hey, it's all new to us. Need to find our comfort level.

Appreciate your insight.

Comment

Originally posted by moeandflo View Post
                  I am waiting to hear from Greg Weldon at DRV as to next steps.

Happy trails.

What is Greg going to do for you? Is DRV going to supply you with a set of the 1/8" gaskets like the ones you found on Amazon?
                  Jim & Barb
                  www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
                  2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
                  2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
                  Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
                  Volvo 770
                  2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

Originally posted by jbbdc View Post
                    What is Greg going to do for you? Is DRV going to supply you with a set of the 1/8" gaskets like the ones you found on Amazon?
                    I do not yet know what Greg at DRV is going to do. I am waiting for Greg and Butch to review picture and let me know if they believe I have damage or just a leak. If just a leak, do I replace the cover or just the gasket. If cover then I would expect them to provide parts. If just o-ring, I will use the one ordered from Amazon.

I will let you know what Greg says.

Regards.

Comment

Ok, so we picked up our unit from RVs for Less in Knoxville on 12/30 and several have followed our journey and want to know how it went. Here are the cliff notes.

First, can I just say we love our unit. It is a sweet Suite.

We spent two days on the dealer lot moving in and inspecting. The unit was in good shape and clean but it just wasn't "Kathy Clean." I hope some of you folks know what I am talking about. We were not provided a PDI form but brought several along. The rep Allen did a good job walking us through the unit and explaining how things work. The weather was cold but they took good care of us and reminded me to put water on and unhook hose due to freezing both nights.

We found a few minior fit, finish, and fixture issues which were all fixed by the team without incident.

Significant issues that we believe others should be aware of and watch for include:
                      • We had special antennas installed by DRV on roof and they were mounted horizontal instead of vertical.
                      • We had issues with the electronics for the front door lock related to wiring. This has been posted on before. RVs for less fixed this.
                      • We had issues with water line to fridge freezing. This too has been posted on before. RVs for Less did not fix this.
                      • Our unit sofa had no sleeper component and no air mattress. Ryan is sending an air mattress.
                      • We blew all four oil bath hubs somewhere on I-75. I'll blame it on Atlanta. This too has been posted on before. All four leaked on outside of wheels etc. RVs For Less and DRV are working on this. I'll order the better gaskets per post myself.
                      • One of the slam-latch baggage doors had just one key lock instead of two.

All in all, a great experience.

Now some questions for you.
                      1. Regarding the sofa. I never really pulled one out to look at it but was told it was a sleeper with an air mattress. To me, I envisioned a nice pull out like a traditional hide-a-bed but with an air mattress instead of a lumpy one. The lane furniture has NO pull out at all. Just a storage area. So, that means the air mattress goes on the floor which doesn't work in winter due to floor vents for heat. Is this really the standard? Did units prior to Lane furniture have same issue.

2. Regarding oil bath hubs. All four leaked and we added fluid etc. The fluid is black. Is this just a swap the hub baths and gasket issue or do I have damage. See photo attached.

Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1268[/ATTACH]
                      Regarding the oil hubs, this may sound funny but I have to ask----when you took the plug out of them, did you look straight inside to see if there were grease serks? Mine have the clear oil bath covers but have grease serks that I only have to grease once a year. I had the axles replaced a little over a year ago, so I have the new axles that is coming out of the factory.

Fritz
                      Fritz and Cheryl Steinhoff
                      2010 38RSSB3 w/vanity # 5384
                      2007 Dodge Dually

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                        Regarding the oil hubs, this may sound funny but I have to ask----when you took the plug out of them, did you look straight inside to see if there were grease serks? Mine have the clear oil bath covers but have grease serks that I only have to grease once a year. I had the axles replaced a little over a year ago, so I have the new axles that is coming out of the factory.

Fritz
                        Fritz. Forgive me as I am not mechanical. I did not look inside for grease serks but assume I don't have them since I have oil bath. Another user advised that these can be converted to grease.

Regards.

Comment

So then, from the responses you are getting, is this a "COMMON" Issue with these oil hubs? I'm no okay with this on a maiden voyage, I hope the problem is resolved quickly by DRV. Who wants to p/u a brand new rig and have these kinds of problems? Door latches I get, I don't like it but I get. Possible damage to your brand spankin new rig straight from the factory is pretty much
                          on my list of things that should not happen on a brand new rig considering most of us are going to be pulling these mammoths for hundreds of miles and away from home.

Anything to do with tires and that aspect of the coach make me very very nervous as we bought our 2005 when RV dealers were loading them up with cheap Chinese tires that were blowing right and left, causing accidents and lots of damage.

Okay, someone calm me down.
                          sigpic
                          Gary and Karen
                          2013 F450 DRW Reese 25k
                          2014.5 Elite Suites 38TKSB3 Western Gem #7063
                          Scottish Terrier (Scotty) Owner and CEO

Comment

Originally posted by Buffy View Post
                            So then, from the responses you are getting, is this a "COMMON" Issue with these oil hubs? I'm no okay with this on a maiden voyage, I hope the problem is resolved quickly by DRV. Who wants to p/u a brand new rig and have these kinds of problems? Door latches I get, I don't like it but I get. Possible damage to your brand spankin new rig straight from the factory is pretty much
                            on my list of things that should not happen on a brand new rig considering most of us are going to be pulling these mammoths for hundreds of miles and away from home.

Anything to do with tires and that aspect of the coach make me very very nervous as we bought our 2005 when RV dealers were loading them up with cheap Chinese tires that were blowing right and left, causing accidents and lots of damage.

Okay, someone calm me down.
                            Karen. I don't know how many rigs come off the line each week but, I suspect that the issue with oil bath is the exception, not the norm. I just got lucky.

Now go get your new rig, have a glass of wine, put your feet up, and enjoy!

Comment

Karen. I don't know how many rigs come off the line each week but, I suspect that the issue with oil bath is the exception, not the norm. I just got lucky.!
                              Michael,
                              I was at the factory talking to Kyle Miller after Christmas and he stated that the production was 10 units per week in the first 3 quarters of 2013, but they have increasing production to 15 units per week during the last quarter, at the time of our talk they have achieved the production goal of 15 units per week, I don't know how many new employees they have hired, but everyone was working hard as we walked around the plant!
                              I don't know how this increase in production will affect the quality of units in the short term or long term, I have mixed thoughts on this!!
                              Nice looking unit.
                              As for the oil bath hub seals, I looked at you pictures and all that I pick up look something like this after the 1025 mile trip to the dealer, I do know that the hub oil will darken with use, and the small circle just under the fill plug is the full line, yours are over filled at this time. I do suggest pulling the caps off, letting the fluid drain, refill to the full line, let it sit overnight and fill again, this gives the oil time to spread front to rear.
                              As for using grease instead of oil, I have mixed thoughts on this as well, with grease you have to remove the hubs, wash the bearings, hub and repack with new seals, with oil, you just remove the cap, drain, refill, and if when I get mine, and if it leaks and I can not get it to stop, grease it is, as I am a retired ASE Master Mechanic, packing bearings is just another maintenance item.
                              I have called Mor/Ride and found the torque spec for the hub bearing nut, torque to 30 FP, let rest for a minute, back off nut and again let rest, do not spin hub, hand turn the socket hand tight, then tighten one more click for lock tab to set.

Glad you got it and love it,

Roger and Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X