• Show
Clear All

• Curious About Rallies

How many usually attend:

Regional Rallies?
    International Rallies?

Typical age group?

Everyone welcome?

Well everyone is welcome except dealers in new units, and this will start a long thread about my favorite dealer in Elk City, OK that was told not to attend in a new unit.
    I attended the regional rally in Louisburg, KS this last fall and had a great time meeting new friends, about 40 people was in attendance at this rally, and it was our first RV rally, been to some with the Goldwing group.
    Not wanting to start anything about dealers, but wish more would attend, great tech discussion, and Slade gave unpaid help to all that had questions or problems.

Comment

The two regional rallies that we have attended were attended with a similar number of people. I'm thinking that the one at Grove, Oklahoma had something like 20 to 23 rigs, but that was a couple of years ago and my memory isn't all that good anymore. The rallies are worth attending if for no other reason than to associate with other owners and get a chance to learn what they did to fix or improve their rigs. And for the most part, the members are a great bunch of down-to-earth folks. We enjoyed both regional rallies that we attended. We are in the Central region.

It was at the Grove rally that I learned that the SOITC "board" has a preference to only allowing one dealer to have an actual presence. While that one dealer does have to sponsor with a sizable sponsor fee, if the association would allow other dealers to also sponsor and be allowed to at least have a booth and presence at the rallies, the association might get more funds. I suggested that idea but it apparently fell on deaf ears.

Now, we as members can't even put the name or our favorite Elk City dealership in our signatures of our forum posts. We first had to remove any hyperlinks that we inserted in the signatures and now they've me to remove any mention of Alicia and Slade's business from my signature. I guess this is no longer an owner's association and forum but is now only a member's and governing board's association and forum. For years, that one part of their "rules" was never enforced. Now, they insist that it be enforced.

I may not be here much longer.

Terry
      Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
      2008 Ford F450
      2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

We've attended a few smaller rallies. The Grove, OK one that Terry mentioned- it was right after we picked up our new MS. We've been to two mini rallies in MI and really enjoyed them. they were a great place to meet other owners.
        They Can be, however, very expensive. As mentioned, you get to see the mods and upgrades that people make to their rigs. My hubby saw someones electric toilet, and before I could blink, we had written a check for $600 to get one of our own! I do really love it though so I guess its ok.
        But really, its a great time to socialize and get ideas,

Sue
        Fulltiming since 2009 with Dozer, our grey tuxedo cat 2012 MS 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2011 Ford F450 2005 Lance 1181 Truck Camper- our "vacation home"

Comment

We've attended 3 regional rallies and 2 national rallies. Everyone is welcome. The regional rallies are more intimate and you have the time to get acquainted with other attendees. The national rallies are more structured with seminars and are usually 100 to 140 rigs, depending on where it's held. It's a great way to see other floor plans and how people have decorated them.
          Jan & Thomas
          2012 Mobile Suite 36RSSB3 #5942
          2012 Ford F350
          Fulltiming since 2006

Comment

You mean they have rules, and have the actual nerve to want to enforce them?!! And they've had them for a long time?!! Since the beginning, before anyone joined?!! How dare they!!! No wonder you are thinking of leaving. Just when I was starting to think all of the great big red advertising was looking good, and intelligent.

Bill

Comment

Nice sarcasm, Bill. No, really. I like how you did that because it can relate to my own sarcasm at times.

However, as for me leaving, that is more likely if they get tired of me and my attitude than it is because I'm quitting on my own. I'm a participant on numerous forums and can state for a fact that the "powers-that-be" can decide to delete someone's "membership" and even ban the IP if they so desire. Personally, there are a lot of folks here that I count as friends and I hope to be around to provide help to others, just as I've done in the past.

Terry
              Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
              2008 Ford F450
              2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Originally posted by porkchop View Post
                You mean they have rules, and have the actual nerve to want to enforce them?!! And they've had them for a long time?!! Since the beginning, before anyone joined?!! How dare they!!! No wonder you are thinking of leaving. Just when I was starting to think all of the great big red advertising was looking good, and intelligent.

Bill
                Porkchop, the big red name is MINE, not Terry's, so direct your comments in the right direction. I personally couldn't care what you think though. I too got a message about my signature:
                Originally posted by 2 Da Wds
                Sorry but the SOITC board has determined that the reference to Rolling Retreats in you sig violates the forum rules. Please remove them.

Thank You
                So, as a member of the forum, I am not allowed to speak of or mention a DRV dealer that does good work. Does this apply also to a repair facility, a roadside assistance service that performs better than another or the brand of tires I believe perform better? Or does it only apply to a DRV dealer that goes above and beyond and gets complained on by some whiny, possibly lazier dealer?

As far as rallies go, I am not that brand loyal, have never been to a DRV rally and am certainly not that loyal to the SOITC board. After today, I would definitely NOT attend a rally hosted by the SOITC, so unless there is a different DRV rally, I can honestly say that I will not be attending one in the foreseeable future. Heck, I won't be attending one in the non foreseeable future either.

2 Da Wds,
                respectfully sir, if you want my signature altered, you have the capability so do it yourself. I know this will cause no one here the slightest upset, and while I may pop in a read the posts, I doubt seriously I will be posting here anymore. Other than DRV specific items, there are far better and busier forums, with a greater range of information than this one. To purport to be an owners forum, not affiliated with the manufacturer, the SOITC board sure seems to go out of their way to kiss DRV's rear bumper.

Comment

Well, guess there are currents I knew nothing about. We attended our first rally this year in Georgia and had a great time. We are planning to attend the national next year and looking forward to seeing some of the same people and meeting new ones. Sometime I fell like people expect more or less at these things, we just enjoy the fellowship.
                  2008 32 TK3 Mobile Suite #4311
                  2011 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ Duramax DRW
                  Trailer Saver TS3
                  Tire Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
                    Porkchop, the big red name is MINE, not Terry's, so direct your comments in the right direction. I personally couldn't care what you think though. I too got a message about my signature:

So, as a member of the forum, I am not allowed to speak of or mention a DRV dealer that does good work. Does this apply also to a repair facility, a roadside assistance service that performs better than another or the brand of tires I believe perform better? Or does it only apply to a DRV dealer that goes above and beyond and gets complained on by some whiny, possibly lazier dealer?

As far as rallies go, I am not that brand loyal, have never been to a DRV rally and am certainly not that loyal to the SOITC board. After today, I would definitely NOT attend a rally hosted by the SOITC, so unless there is a different DRV rally, I can honestly say that I will not be attending one in the foreseeable future. Heck, I won't be attending one in the non foreseeable future either.

2 Da Wds,
                    respectfully sir, if you want my signature altered, you have the capability so do it yourself. I know this will cause no one here the slightest upset, and while I may pop in a read the posts, I doubt seriously I will be posting here anymore. Other than DRV specific items, there are far better and busier forums, with a greater range of information than this one. To purport to be an owners forum, not affiliated with the manufacturer, the SOITC board sure seems to go out of their way to kiss DRV's rear bumper.
                    You know, one of the reasons I researched and bought a DRV product was because I found not one but two websites where the members could interact and provide support for our DRV products. I love my DRV product, but one of the websites has definitely lost it's luster. I do not post much unless I have something pertinent to say, but the way the Elk City dealer has been treated has left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. I do not know how much longer I will be frequenting this site. I definitely will not be sending SOITC any more dues money. I have not attended a rally since we workkamp from April to October (the prime rally season). I have attended a SOITC get-together in Casa Grande a couple of years ago. I came away from that feeling a bit of the cold shoulder. I know I will not be missed here either.

Joe
                    2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 Flame Red Dually 3.73 Aisin transmission
                    2012 DRV Select Suites 38TKSB3 #6011

Comment

Thank you to each of you for your replies to my inquiry about the Rallies. We are new Mobile Suites owners and have enjoyed every minute of owning our Mobile Suites these past few weeks. We are also Airstream owners and are active within that community. Just an observation, please don't interpret it in any way as critical, but it seems like the Mobile Suites Forums is kind of quiet. It would be fun to generate more activity regionally. If anyone ever wants to meet and camp we would enjoy the opportunity.

Comment

We have never joined a brand-specific rv group that charges membership fees. After the recent controversy surrounding Rolling Retreats, I doubt we ever will. For that reason, we won't be attending any SOITC national rallies. I haven't checked whether or not you have to be a paying member to attend regional rallies. If so, we won't do those either.

Several years ago we attended an impromptu rally set up by some of us who enjoyed each others' posts on rv.net. It was a way to put faces to screen names. We picked a date and centralized location. We had a blast! Everyone paid their own way. No fees collected. No sponsors. Nothing but a group of like-minded rv'ers sharing stories, meals, and their families. To me, that's what a rally means.
                        Jim & Barb
                        www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
                        2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
                        2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
                        Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
                        Volvo 770
                        2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

Without dues paying members you would not have this forum to express your opinions.
                          Happy Trails To You

Tom & Cheryl Brockman
                          2015 39DBRS3, 2011 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
                          S.O.I.T.C. Charter Member
                          Retired & Full timing

Comment

Originally posted by 2 Da Wds View Post
                            Without dues paying members you would not have this forum to express your opinions.
                            Which is totally fine with SOITC since dues aren't required to post. If there is any bitterness with non-members posting on your forum then change the policy and make everyone pay.
                            Jim & Barb
                            www.suiteadventure.com

2013 Ram 3500, Longhorn, Dually, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10, Transfer Flow Aux/Trax II
                            2014 Hyundai Tucson (grocery-getter)
                            2014.5 Mobile Suites #7039 SOLD!
                            Full timers 2013-2015

Previous:
                            Volvo 770
                            2006 Mobile Suites

Comment

ok I pay the dues because I want to. I gone to Rallies because It was fun and I want to.

The best part You meet people that just like you A DRV Owner of all ages and from other States and Canada.. It was fun and we going to the next SOITC national Rallies.

Happy RVing..

Comment

Working...
                              X