MCD Day/Nite Shades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCD Day/Nite Shades

As we were looking at Mobile Suites we realized that the day/nite shades were not suited for us. They seem difficult to move up and down, we did not like the texture or feel of them, I did not think that the stringing had any quality in it, they did not keep the light out. The darker shades in the bedroom were better for light blocking but still had the same issues as the lighter ones. We had seen the MCD American Duo Shade in many rv's

I priced out buying direct from MCD but DRV came in at the same price on some and lower on others for a total of 1608 $ . I was originally going to do the install myself but opted to pay DRV 450$ for the install. We had a total of 9 shades replaced, the two that were not replaced are the bathroom and the stove top area window shades.

The operation of the shade up and down is very easy. Pull down and release and it stops with the same response in the other direction. With the 2 different screens the heat coming in is less than the original shades. From the outside in the dark, looking in with every light on I was pleasantly delighted to see no light except for where the new shades weren't (window and bathroom door).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask questions. I will post some photos as soon as I take some.

Jim
    2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS with Vanity Slide # 5683, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually.
    Our Adventures

We considered doing that, but hesitated because of cost. Thought the factory shades would last at least as long as they had in our Elite Suite.

But less than 6 mos later (4.2008), we had 3 broken strings in the main living area. So I ordered 7-3/8" double cell light filtering up/down blinds from Select Blinds for the main living area only. They had a Free shipping special, had them shipped to our campground in MD for only $512 (30% off sale).

I know I've seen MCD on some new Suites that are for sale online. Would consider it IF we ever order another 5er.
    Vickie & David
    SOITC #6956

2014 1/4 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3
    Alicia - Custom kitchen
    2014 F450 KR 4x4
    Titan 65g tank
    2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Jim,

We have considered the MCD but wondered if they would fit close enough to sides of the windows to prevent someone from seeing in around the edges at night. Based on your comments above it appears that is not any issue? Any additional comments would be helpful in our decision.

Thanks
      Bill & Ann Anderson
      Houston, TX
      2011 ES38RS3 w/Vanity Slide #5854
      2007 Freightliner M2-106 Chariot
      w/Trailer Saver

Comment

Bill, you are correct, there is about a 3/4 inch gap around the left and right sides. Between the heavily tinted windows, the dark screen and the black out curtain no light gets out. The black screens sit close enough to the molding to prevent someone from seeing in. Of course if someone was inches from the window they might be able to see in. If they need to see me that bad let them I have thought about this and came up with a solution if it ever becomes an issue. With matching wood and stain a wooden " L "angle could easily be fabricated that would act like a side valance. We have removed the side valances previous to the shade install as we did not care for that look. We thought it gave a cleaner look and showed of the beautiful wood moldings around the windows. We also chose the bright white shades to keep it brighter inside at night. There are many colors to chose from. Here are a couple of photos.

Jim

Our Adventures

Comment

We ordered our 2012 MS with the MCD shades after seeing them in a friend's motor home. We love them . So much easier to open and close.

Sue
          Fulltiming since 2009 with Dozer, our grey tuxedo cat 2012 MS 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2011 Ford F450 2005 Lance 1181 Truck Camper- our "vacation home"

Comment

The one on the rear window in entertainment ctr looks like a movie screen.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea for my next modification! LOL
            Vickie & David
            SOITC #6956

Alicia - Custom kitchen
            2014 F450 KR 4x4
            Titan 65g tank
            2015 Lance 1172

Working Fulltimers since March 2005: Lucky us, we get paid to live like this !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hitchup View Post
              The one on the rear window in entertainment ctr looks like a movie screen.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea for my next modification! LOL
              I have already found a mounting spot for the large screen projector and warned my wife!!

JIm
              Our Adventures

Comment

Well, while the shades are obviously the reason for the posted picture, I have to admit that the painting/print on the wall attracted my eye first. I guess that comes from being something of a photographer and being raised by a mother who taught herself how to paint in oil on canvas.

So, is that an actual painting or is it something purchased? If a painting, did a family member paint it? Is there any possibility of seeing a picture just of the picture?

While we had to take my mother's paintings that we had to my sister, we did keep some of the smaller ones to hang in our Mobile Suites. Jo attached them to the walls with some of those 3M Command strip thingies. It really makes a coach a home when one adds such "personal touches."

Terry
                Terry and Jo

Mobile Suites 2010 38TKSB3 #5332
                2008 Ford F450
                2017 Ford Expedition XL as Tag-along or Scout

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Thanks Terry, that is a photograph I took while in Big Bend National Park. I had it printed on canvas. It really does look like a painting. I had a lot of things go in my favor for that photograph to happen. Clicky It is hung with 3M double sided sticky tape.

Jim
                  Our Adventures

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the additional information on the MCDs and the photos. I like your photo to canvas process to make your own canvas wraps for the fiver. I was not aware that was something that could be done. Thanks for the insight. Did you do it yourself or have a commercial service do it for you?
                    Bill & Ann Anderson
                    Houston, TX
                    2011 ES38RS3 w/Vanity Slide #5854
                    2007 Freightliner M2-106 Chariot
                    w/Trailer Saver

Comment

We purchased some of those photos to canvas prints of Civil War Battlefield photo and landscapes at the Craft Show in Chantilly, VA a couple of years ago. Have them hanging in the RV. They are beautiful.

We just use industrial strength velcro on the corners.

Vickie
                      Vickie & David
                      SOITC #6956

Alicia - Custom kitchen
                      2014 F450 KR 4x4
                      Titan 65g tank
                      2015 Lance 1172

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to look up that process of prints to canvas. From looking at it in your shade pictures, it looked like someone had painted to canvas sheet and then attached to a frame. It really gives it a finished look with the edges continuing the photo.

It is also good to have the results of your own work on your walls. I have an 8x10 of one of my photos on a bedroom wall. I'll also have to check out some more of your pictures. I have a few on Photobucket, but I found out that there is a way to "steal" the images from that site. I thought it was a secure setting, not allowing "right-click/save-as" as a means of getting a copy. When I can afford it, I'll probably try to get on Smugmug as "Pro" to get better security controls.

Not that you will necessarily be interested, but I'm using a Nikon D300 with 18x200mm lens. I've been lusting after another lens for some time, but money-wise, it will have to wait a while.

Good job!!

Terry
                        Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

Terry, If you limit the size of the photo you upload to smugmug, stealing of photos really isn't a big problem. I usually upload 1024 X 680 which usually are not very usable for reproduction. Even if you change security controls people can still take a screen shot to steal your work. If it is online it is not safe from copying.

I am interested in what camera you have as I have the same! You are going to have lens envy because I have the following Nikon Lenses, 10.5 f2.8 fisheye, 18-24 f4 wide angle, 28-80 f2.8, 105 f2.8 macro, 70-200 f 2.8 and a Sigma 50-500 APO. These lenses help add weight to my axles

Jim
                          Last edited by jimandsue60; 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM.
                          Our Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by jimandsue60 View Post
                            I am interested in what camera you have as I have the same! You are going to have lens envy because I have the following Nikon Lenses, 10.5 f2.8 fisheye, 18-24 f4 wide angle, 28-80 f2.8, 105 f2.8 macro, 70-200 f 2.8 and a Sigma 50-500 APO. These lenses help add weight to my axles

Jim
                            Jim,

As my dear grandmother used to say, "You are a suck-egg mule!" (I remember playing Canasta with her and an aunt when I was little. The above phrase and "Sow-B!tch" were the worst words that ever came out of her mouth.)

For a while, I lusted after a 200mm f.2 (I think on the f-number) but it now sells for right at $5000. I doubt that I will ever get that one, so now I'm lusting after the 70-200 f 2.8. I purchased the D300 shortly after they came out. (I had been lusting after the D200 and was almost ready to buy when a friend told me that it would be likely that about the time I went to buy, Nikon would come out with something better. He was right, and I'm glad I waited a bit longer.) I went with the package at the time of the D300 with the 18-200mm zoom. It doesn't have the sharpness that I would like, but it is a good "walk-around" lens, and I've gotten a few pretty good photos of my own.

Unlike many others, all I do with mine in imaging software is crop some images. Oh, and re-size if I'm putting one online.

I went to your link and went through a bunch of your photos and really like a lot of them. Good job.

Terry

PS: I'm only kidding about the Suck-egg Mule thing.
                            Terry and Jo

2008 Ford F450

Our Photos on Smugmug

Comment

A bit of an update on my shade installation. I didn't like the way the white (blackout) shade was laying on the window. It was further away from the window at the top than it was at the bottom. This was because of the way MCD set up the shades. The fabric came over the spool towards the inside of the coach. I took it apart and made it so the shade comes under the spool towards the window. This allowed the shade to sit flat on the window. This also created another issue. The spool was in plain sight. I decided to lower the valance which was very easy. I also decided to add side valances using 1 inch corner round molding and matched the stain almost to perfection! The result is a professional looking job and one that we are extremely pleased with. The side valance also hold the shades against the window to prevent it from bouncing around while traveling. Total cost for the the side valance modification for 9 windows was less than 50 dollars and 4 hours of my time.

Jim

Our Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X