Best Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sealant

I am wondering the best sealant to use on the sides where the upper side panel joins the lower panel. I am hoping to be able to seal it without removing the narrow trim piece.

Lexel. You can get it from Lowes. Be sure the lower panel is sealed on the underside where the panel meets the slide floor.

Comment

YA better know what yer doing, that stuff can be a bitch to work with!!!
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

This is an older thread but I thought Iíd enter a recommendation for Geocel ProFlex RV. Iím a fanatic about sealing my rig and I am up to six tubes (2/3 complete) sealing up the sides of my used yet new Ď18 38 RSSA. It too is a little hard to work with unless you use it with mineral spirits on a towel for finger wiping and clean up. It stays clear if you buff it once or twice a year. Otherwise like any caulk, it collects dust and gets a little grey until a good wash and wax.

One other thing that is specific to DRV, my new/used rig sat at a dealership for a year in AZ before I bought it and it already had water intrusion on the off door slide (two places). The worst spot was caught by the dealership at some point because it had silicone applied for a repair and a couple freshly painted screws exactly where you donít want to see them. The other spot was on the slider roof where screws and staples had punctured the membrane but that was less serious and easily fixed. EVERY slide room has sloppy seams that will need a layer of Eternabond tape. I encourage all owners of DRV products to constantly stay on top of sealing their rigs. Saying that these trailers leave the factory with insufficient caulking is an understatement. They will rot from day one unless youíre very lucky, have a great dealer that took the time to seal the rig, or you stay diligent with your inspections and repairs.
        2018 MS 38 RSSA, 2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Comment

Professional advice.

Lay a consistent bead then immediately and liberally spray the caulking with windex or a soap solution then wipe excess off. You will be amazed!!! Practice on something to get the hang of it.

A QUALITY caulking gun is HIGHLY advised.
          AMAZON

COX 41004 10 oz.

by COX
          4.5 out of 5 stars 74 customer reviews

List Price: $29.79
          Price: $27.48
          39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
            Professional advice.

Lay a consistent bead then immediately and liberally spray the caulking with windex or a soap solution then wipe excess off. You will be amazed!!! Practice on something to get the hang of it.

A QUALITY caulking gun is HIGHLY advised
            Well thatís certainly a lot less toxic than my method and probably easier on the paint too. I tried soap solution in the past but Iíve never used the technique of wetting the bead before seating and excess removal. I still have about 30í of sealing to do so Iíll definitely give this a try.
            Last edited by Srosa; 03-28-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
              Professional advice.

Your technique worked really well for me right out of the gate. I still keep a towel wet with mineral spirits around to keep my fingers completely clean but the windex solution on the bead is the only way to go. It made my caulk runs look better too.

Thanks for the pro tip!

Comment

I was literally blown away the first time I say this method done. To be honest I was NOT impressed with this Cabinet Installers quality BUT his caulking was first rate!!!
                39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Working...
                X