Rooftop Dish Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooftop Dish Location

When I purchased my Ď18 38 RSSA I made the mistake of having the dealer install a Winegard Travíler dish on the roof. Iím mainly unhappy with the placement as itís about 8í away from the cable exit. Iíve done multiple dish installs and have always placed them within 3í of the port for obvious reasons. Does DRV specify a particular placement spot on the roof? Iíd ask them but I donít have customer status.

Besides moving the dish, I also want to fix the cable exit to have a regular RV coax roof exit panel. The installer just gouged a hole in the fake vent and covered it in lap sealant. This wonít remain dry for very long. If anyone has advice to share on tackling this one, Iíd appreciate it.
    2018 MS 38 RSSA, 2017 Ford F450 Lariat

I had the Travler put on my RSSA roof just about where you are describing, but don't have any problem with distance from from roof entrance/vent. The antenna should be able to go anywhere there is a support truss--we also used the metal plate made just for the Travler for extra support. We were also constrained by the solar panels already in place. As to the roof access points, whatever you like, since you have done this before. Wherever DRV puts the solar cables would dictate approximately where the antenna goes if you are looking for less cabling on the roof; other than that, you are faced with running cables yourself to where you want them.
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut60 View Post
      I had the Travler put on my RSSA roof just about where you are describing, but don't have any problem with distance from from roof entrance/vent. The antenna should be able to go anywhere there is a support truss--we also used the metal plate made just for the Travler for extra support. We were also constrained by the solar panels already in place. As to the roof access points, whatever you like, since you have done this before. Wherever DRV puts the solar cables would dictate approximately where the antenna goes if you are looking for less cabling on the roof; other than that, you are faced with running cables yourself to where you want them.
      Thanks. Youíve given me some stuff to think about. I will check out whatís involved in fishing the cables to a new location nearer to the dishís location and replacing the damaged fake vent, if thatís possible.

Comment

39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Originally posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
          Thanks! I saw this pic in another thread and was jealous of the nice clean installation of slider roof material. Those guys were off the day my sliders were roofed.

Your example sat installation is the way Iím used to doing it with the cable exit properly capped and very close to the dish. Iíll figure out a way to get there. Hopefully it will be as easy as fishing the two cables from their current location over to a new hole at the dishís current location. Have to remove the vent cap and probe around I suppose.

Comment

I mounted my dish all the way to the front, where the nose slopes down. Over the years when trees have been an issue we can still get a decent view of the satellites.
            I originally ordered the trailer with the dish, then changed my mind, requested the dealer swap from the trade.
            Changed my mind again and did my own install and glad I did.
            Thanks,
            Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
            2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by porthole View Post
              I mounted my dish all the way to the front, where the nose slopes down. Over the years when trees have been an issue we can still get a decent view of the satellites.
              I originally ordered the trailer with the dish, then changed my mind, requested the dealer swap from the trade.
              Changed my mind again and did my own install and glad I did.
              Thanks. I decided to leave the dish in its current spot to avoid compromising the fiberglass roof any further.

Comment

Working...
              X