WiFi Battery Powered Temperature/ Humidity Warning Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends,

My curiosity has just gotten the best of me: The DRV manual mentions the 120VAC Converter to 12VDC charges the batteries. I have a Converter and Inverter/Charger, both connected to the batteries. Is it possible BOTH charge the batteries? Or is it possible there is a diode in line with the batteries that prevents charging? Just trying to understand TWO 12VDC sources connected to the batteries AND how they interact. Thanks to anyone who understands this configuration and can explain it.

As to my other project, dug my MIFi out of the traveleing bag and charging it to full capacilty. I'm going to conduct the test by turing on one of the AC units to get living room down to 72 degrees. I'll set WiFi thermometer to 80 degrees warning, then shut off AC and see if I receive a warning on my Smart Phone. If I do, I'll count as a success.

As to auto start for the generator, I'm researching a Magnum Automatic Generator Startup (AGS) to see if that will do what I want.

Anyway, I should be conducting the test Thursday 1Aug.

Thanks, Ron
    2015 Mobile Suites 38RESB3 "Very Suite"
    2017 Ram 5500Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 9' CM tow body

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredawg Chief View Post
      Friends,

bought new batteries and installed them. Inverter works great off batteries, but with shore power turned on, Inverter not recognizing AC input power. I know this thing is smart, so toggled though the settings, but still should recognize AC input. Anyone know if there is a separate breaker for the incoming power... nothing marked in main but converter.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Cheers, Ron

You should only run one charger, pick the higher charge amperage.
      Which inverter/charger do you have?

Is the 50 amp main switched off in the main breaker panel?
      If you have the bigger Magnum Inverter, which remote do you have ?

The switch - DRV wires the battery switch to only switch off the basic coach 12 volt. Brake away switch and hydraulic power stay on.
      Thanks,
      Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
      2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Duane,
        The optional factory installed the 1000 Watt Magnum MMS-1012 Inverter/Charger (the smaller inverter)
        The 50Amp is generally not switched off. I turn off all the appliances and HVAC.
        Concur, 12VDC always on for brake away switch and hydraulics (slides and Level-Up)

I figure I can plug shore power in,
        1. Have both the Converter and the Refrig (Inverter/Charger) breakers on, place my multi-meter on the batteries and read voltage, then read the battery level on the power management system.
        2. Shut off the Converter breaker and read voltages.
        3. Shut off Refrig while keeping Converter off and read voltages
        4. Turn on Converter, leave Refig off, and read voltages.

The readings with both on, both off, and alternating shutting them off while reading the other, should provide whats doing what.

I'll post results when I complete this.

As for the Wi-Fi Thermometer, I'm having a problem with the Wi-Fi Thermometer losing sync with the MiFi. More research and test more.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Ron,

It will take time but best to wait 20-30 minutes between when you turn something on or off and checking voltage.
          Thanks,
          Duane

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
          2011 F-350 DRW

Comment

Duane,
            Thanks for the info. will do.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Friends,

I've finally given up on this Govee device. Instructions are incomplete and are Chinglish. There is no list and explanation of the alerts the device sends and nothing describing the operation and functionality of the device or the app. I think the device may be good, but lack of good documentation make this a no-go.

On Amazon there is a Car/RV Pet temp alert from Verizon, but it requires a monthly cellular subscription AND costs $149. I really want to find something that works with the MiFi as that is what I use with my laptop when we travel.

I'll research some more and report results.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Fellow Pet Lovers,
                Didn't take me long to find one that is HIGHEST RATED and made in America. We've RV'd with our dogs for over 10 years now and I see this as being a have to for us and our 4-legged kids.
                Here is what I ordered:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Temp-Stick...999412?hash=item44420e2534:g:PhwAAOSwPQBdO 36b

I'll let you know when I get it and test it.
                Cheers, Ron

Comment

Friends,

Just wanted to let you know I got this to work fine. One important note is you need to configure your MiFi to NEVER auto turn off. The default is 30min of no activity and the Temp Stick default is sample/report every hour, but it doesn't send a text/email message unless a parameter set is exceeded.

This is good.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Friends,

Another follow up on watt (what, ha ha) is ACTUALLY found was the problem with the 12VDC power on my DRV. The battery cutoff switch failed open (turned off). You really have to be aware of your RV configuration when testing components. I checked both terminals on the battery cutoff switch and read 12.6 Volts both sides with it turned off. Thought the switch was shorted rather than open. The reality is when the RV is plugged into shore power, you read ~12.6VDC from the converter on the RV side of the switch. Then, you read ~12.6VDC on the battery side of the switch from the batteries and inverter.

So, how I discovered the problem with the switch was I was disconnecting from shore power getting ready to head out on a trip, when I discovered no 12VDC in the coach. The Level-Up read 12.6VDC because the batteries are ALWAYS connected to the Level-Up system. Upon arriving at our destination, I opened up the control panel compartment, remove the battery cutoff switch and bolted the batteries wire to the coach/converter wire and all was good. This was a temporary setup until I got home and ordered a new battery cutoff switch.

WHAT HAPPENED TO KILL MY BATTERIES: The battery cutoff switch was open (contacts failed) while in the shop for service. The Refrigerator (and inverter, same breaker) was turned off at the 120VAC power panel, so the neither the converter nor the inverter was charging the batteries. After 12 weeks, the batteries were dead as a tack, the refrigerator(inverter) still turned off. I replaced the batteries as they would not take a charge, while troubleshooting above, discovered the refrigerator AND the inverter on powered on the same breaker. After figuring this out, I marked power panel with Inverter with Refer.

This was a pretty incredible journey, but now I really do understand how my DRV is wired.

Cheers, Ron

Comment

Working...
                    X