Michelin blowout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin blowout

Well, it does happen and never at good time. Construction zone with no shoulder to pull off. Had to go slowly to the exit a mile away which disintegrated the tire, causing some damage to the fender flare, and ruined the wheel. Oh well, pull the spare down and find the three year old XTA has dry rot on the exposed under side next to the tire bead. Not wanting to take a chance on that tire making it 400 miles I set out to buy a new tire. Guess what? 17.5" Michelin are scarce but did locate one at Loves Truck Stop. ($$$488 mounted) Wheels are even harder to come by and NO chance of finding one. Went to a local campground to think about traveling without a spare.
    Wait a minute, as a bad situation gets worse. Next day (Sunday mind you) without a spare traveled about a hundred miles when traffic came to a standstill. Sat there for 2-3 minutes when a loud bang and another blowout on the opposite side this time. How can this be happening with three year old Michelin's with only around 10-11 thousand miles on them? I have the Pressure Pro monitor system and always check before starting the day and even sometimes during the day traveling. Running 115 psi cold and have seen 135 psi when hot. In either case there was no alarm of decreased pressure so both were sudden failures. This time road service mounted a used tire and installed back on the camper. Off to a campground to wait for Monday and stores to open. Found a steel wheel and 2 new XTA tires 52 miles away. All fixed up now and with a spare we left the next day arriving home with no problems. Whew!
    I've been on the truck stop scales and had individual wheel weights done at the rally. All were within limits so overloaded is not the cause.
    So now I have three new Michelin XTA tires and a steel wheel (Ok for the spare).
    Should I buy another tire and have 4 new ones running on the pavement??
    Dave
    David & Joyce Robinson
    2011 MS 38TKSB4 #5535
    Winter work camping Sebastian Fl.
    Summer in mountains of NC.

Vanity slide, FP, vac, , level-up,
    thermo pane windows, dinette awning.
    240 volt dryer, residential fridge, roof
    satellite, Mor\Ryde pin box. Two bicycles
    on front, two kayaks on back.

2008 F-350 4X4 Diesel CC LB H&S Tuner
    Pressure Pro(10 tires), fold-a-cover, train horns,
    34 gal fuel/tool in bed aux. tank, Trailer Saver.
    sigpic

Yes.. Change the other one..

Went around and around on this .. on 2 trailers.. I am convinced tires need to be changed every 2 years, if in the heat. All of them. Or they will blow.

I think it may be the rubber compounds? Maybe the UV is getting worse.. we all know the roads get worse everyday.. could be them..
    2013 3500 RAM DRW Longhorn 4X4 , Aisen , 4.10 , Longbox
    2015 Lexington MS
    2015 Hyundai Elantra

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, that is tough, and on the road it can get expensive. But now that you are home, yes get the last one changed out.
      Just glad to hear that you made it home with out any other issues. You will have it back to new in no time. Travel safe

Kent
      2004 Volvo VLN630
      2007 36 RS3 Mobile Suite
      2007 Suzuki SX4 behind the 5er
      Blog: http://roamingreimers.wordpress.com
      sigpic

Comment

Personally I would bite the bullet and get GY H tires. They will stand behind their product, they will pay for damages as others will not. I have ran 4 sets of GY's and never a problem with lots of miles and in hot weather.
        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. I had a similar experience with Goodyear tires. Goodyear actually paid for all the repairs and replace all five tires. You might see if Michland will take any of the responsibility for your repairs. We have traveled about 6000 miles. And was within 50 or 60 miles of being home

Comment

I recently bought a 2010 ES RSSB3; can see the spare tire in its well under the rig, but cannot find the mechanism to lower it when needed. Can anyone please shed some light for me?
            David Peck
            David + Lisa Peck
            2010 Elite Suites 38RSSB3
            Ford F-350 DRW

Comment

If you remove your license plate there will be a hole to put a wrench into it should of came with your trailer .Then you just simply cranky. If you cannot find the wrench socket with an extension we'll work

Comment

Thank you!!
                David + Lisa Peck
                2010 Elite Suites 38RSSB3
                Ford F-350 DRW

Comment

Hi Dave , sorry to hear about your problem. Were you able to check the manufacturer date of the tires themselves? I know that RV manufacturers are notorious for putting old(new) tires on their new trailers. The tires may be older than you think. I start getting nervous at about five years after they are manufactured!
                  BobQ
                  Bob & Snookie
                  2012 38RSSB3/VANITY SLIDE
                  2006 F-550 CUSTOM HAULER BED / Auto Air Ride
                  TrailerSaver TSL3 Hitch

Comment

Bob, I don't know the date on the one that disintegrated as most of the tire was left scattered on the road. The others were all dated in 2010 (my MS is 2011) so I feel sure they were all the same vintage. Pressure Pro never alerted until total failure and I didn't run over anything that I know of. I'm beginning to re-think the airing up a tire based on the load it carries. Mine were set at 108 psi cold but the sidewall rating is 125 psi. I think I'll switch to airing up to the sidewall figure.
                    Dave
                    David & Joyce Robinson
                    2011 MS 38TKSB4 #5535
                    Winter work camping Sebastian Fl.
                    Summer in mountains of NC.

Vanity slide, FP, vac, , level-up,
                    thermo pane windows, dinette awning.
                    240 volt dryer, residential fridge, roof
                    satellite, Mor\Ryde pin box. Two bicycles
                    on front, two kayaks on back.

2008 F-350 4X4 Diesel CC LB H&S Tuner
                    Pressure Pro(10 tires), fold-a-cover, train horns,
                    34 gal fuel/tool in bed aux. tank, Trailer Saver.
                    sigpic

Comment

Old news, but I had changed my 16" GYs over to the 17.5" wheels and Michelin XTAs in 2008--4805lbs each at 125psi. These ran very well with almost NO tread wear until I left on my 2012 trip to Alaska. While having a fridge problem checked in Salt Lake, mobile tech noticed a tread separation--not good starting out on a LONNNGG trip. Checking around, found Big O most responsive to finding something for me--replacement Michelins were over $440 each and not available for several days. Ended up with Cooper RM160s at $264 each. These tires made the trip and are still on my trailer--about 30k total on them, and have survived me hitting a curb and running out of alignment. Big O found a 2nd Michelin separating--talking to Michelin about the amount of tread left, they would not offer any adjustment, this settled me for not going with Michelin again. I did, however, check with the company that supplied my wheels/tires originally (www.trailertiresandwheels.com) about the Coopers and he endorsed them for longevity as he sold a lot of them to triple-axle car-haulers. The hangup with the choice was that the Coopers are Chinese origin, but TTW convinced me they were good quality--price and availability settled the choice. I am completely satisfied with the Coopers.

David,
                      I think your blowout(s) is the first instance I have come across with the 17.5" Michelins--I always ran them at 120 when in use. They also checkered on the sidewalls in the first year of use, but that did not seem to affect them. Probably should have brought the checkering up as soon as I noticed it--maybe I would have gotten some help?? from Michelin at that point. I would not hesitate to use them again if the price was more reasonable.
                      Tires concerns with trailers as heavy as the DRVs can cause anxiety while traveling in heat and/or remote areas--17.5" tires are the most likely solution, but at the weights of the newer units, triple axles may be the only answer to supplying over-capacity in tires. I think some of the two-axle units now have 21000 as the GVRW?
                      Joe
                      2005 36TK3 #1869
                      2010 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by MTN.DAVE of NC View Post
                        Bob, I don't know the date on the one that disintegrated as most of the tire was left scattered on the road. The others were all dated in 2010 (my MS is 2011) so I feel sure they were all the same vintage. Pressure Pro never alerted until total failure and I didn't run over anything that I know of. I'm beginning to re-think the airing up a tire based on the load it carries. Mine were set at 108 psi cold but the sidewall rating is 125 psi. I think I'll switch to airing up to the sidewall figure.
                        Dave
                        GY Tech says if using weight/inflation chart to add 5psi to the heaviest tire's load.
                        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut60 View Post
                          ......Tires concerns with trailers as heavy as the DRVs can cause anxiety while traveling in heat and/or remote areas--17.5" tires are the most likely solution, but at the weights of the newer units, triple axles may be the only answer to supplying over-capacity in tires. I think some of the two-axle units now have 21000 as the GVRW?
                          Joe
                          Don't know about some of the others but the Elite 38RSSA has a GVWR of 21,000 pounds. If you figure 20% (4,200 pounds minimum) on the pin, that trailer would have 16,800 pounds on the tires or 4,200 pounds per tire if the weight was equally distributed (yeah....what are the odds of that with most of the weight on the drivers side of the trailer). I will purposely load more in the front and the basement because of that as the truck can take a 7,500 pin weight and I'm not worried about the rear axle of the truck being overloaded.
                          2012 Freightliner M2-112 with DD13, Allison 4000 and Trailer Saver

2015 38RSSA Elite #7598

Comment

I ran the 17.5" Michelin XTAs purchased from Trailer Tires and Wheels on our 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3 from July 2010 until we traded it in May 2014 with never a problem. I always ran them at 120 PSIG cold just because my philosophy is a cool tire is a happy tire, and the 120 PSIG inflation pressure minimizes carcass flexing and heat buildup. I was hoping the G114s that came on our current MS 38RSSA would give the same service, but just this morning our daughter and son-in-law called to say that they'd had a tread separation failure near Louisville, KY on a Goodyear G114 on their 2011 MS 36RSSB3 with no indication of a pressure or temperature problem on their TST507 TPMS. The remaining carcass was still holding air when they stopped. Fortunately, they're headed to Howe anyway, so they can get the damage repaired during their visit.

I guess that just goes to show you that, despite one's best efforts, bad stuff still happens.....

Rusty
                            Rusty & Sandy Creekmore
                            2 Shelties - Coby & Callie + Conner the Campground Cat

Prior - 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291; Current - 2014.5 MS 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, B&W RVK3600 hitch

Comment

Rusty that's the first time I have ever hear about a problem with a GY "H" 17.5" tire. I assume they are giving the tire to a GY dealer so they can get GY to pay for the damages.
                              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Working...
                              X