No announcement yet.

Michelin blowout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the tire dealer in Louisville has already opened the claim process and shipped the tire carcass to Goodyear. Leon (my son-in-law) said the G114 was 3 years old, so I'm wondering if the previous owner had changed the tires before the kids bought the 2011 MS at PPL in October 2013. I don't know why he would as the MS had only been used for 3 trips (IIRC) before the previous owners had to sell it because of health issues (heart attack), but then again he had switched out the TrailAir pin box extension for a MorRyde, so go figure....

Leon also mentioned that Goodyear had already been in touch with him. He said the outermost rib on the inside and outside were still on the tire, but everything in between was gone down to the carcass steel belts.

Rusty
    Last edited by RustyJC; 09-19-2015, 05:29 PM.
    Rusty & Sandy Creekmore
    2 Shelties - Coby & Callie + Conner the Campground Cat

Prior - 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291; Current - 2014.5 MS 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, B&W RVK3600 hitch

Comment

That's amazing! Well all this time and one bad "H" tire I have heard of. I wonder did the MS come with 17.5's and also are all the tires of a similar age? Anxious to hear GY's response.
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Here's a photo of the failed G114.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107553&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1442874656.jpeg

Rusty
        Rusty & Sandy Creekmore

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, B&W RVK3600 hitch

Comment

As a follow-up to the G114 tire failure experienced by our daughter and son-in-law, Goodyear paid to repair the damage to the 5th wheel and to replace the failed tire.

Rusty
          Rusty & Sandy Creekmore

Comment

Originally posted by RustyJC View Post
            As a follow-up to the G114 tire failure experienced by our daughter and son-in-law, Goodyear paid to repair the damage to the 5th wheel and to replace the failed tire.

Rusty

As I assumed they would! That's great news. I still can't get over how thick that tread is.

Thanks for the follow up.
            39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Goodyear G114 LHT 215/75 R17.5 tire failures....... 2014 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSB3
              We have had two tire failures in the past 6 months. The first occurred on I-4 in Orlando. LF tread separation on inside half of tread, no blowout. 14,000 miles on tires. Goodyear warranty covered tire and minor damage. We mounted the original equipment spare on the LF axle, drove 2000 miles. Second failure on I-90 east of Albany, NY. Blowout on LF Rinside tread, outside tread intact. Goodyear claim adjustment inspection reported "IMPACT BREAK". Seriously doubt any impact!!!!!! Original position of tires by DOT#: RR-0913, RF-1513, LR-1413, LF-1413, OS-1413. Problem with DOT series ???????

Comment

From everything I have seen GY is very honest with their analyzing of their tires. Yours is the first blowout on a GY "H" I have heard of.
                39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Seriously looking to add a TPMS before trip to Myrtle Beach at end of July. Also having remaining tires inspected by Goodyear. Have replaced bearings and brakes on problem axle. Will get individual axles weighed ASAP.

Comment

Added TPMS. Got pressure alarm on problem axle (125 psi - 145 psi), running standard air. Switched all trailer tires to NITROGEN. So far, no issues at 60 mph and outdoor temp in high 90's?

Comment

I read all these "perfect ending stories" about GY G114 tires. Here is mine, Last November coming through Macon GA I had a fellow driver pull up next to me and hand signal me that I had a tire issue, looked up quickly at TirePressurePro and it did not indicate any problem or low tire. Pulled over and found the GY was still at full pressure but the thread from the GY was wrapped around my axle, shock and jack BUT was still holding full pressure with just the steel belts hanging out. Changed tire and made the remainder of trip back to Michigan without issue. At that time my GY's were just over 4 years old per date code, GY Dealer said there would be no warranty because there was no thread to measure, WHAT? That was the problem, the thread came off, he kept tire and I filled out the form, we are now 8-10 months after and not one word from GY, not even a sorry about your luck. Told dealer I have three more that were bought and mounted at same time, he said that won't help, they can't tell how many miles or amount life you had left on this actual tire. My faith in GY has somewhat diminished but they are still the best I can find but the customer service sucks. By the way it was over $5k to fix damage to my ES.
                      Tim & Debby
                      2006 36TK3 Elite Suite #2494 w/7.5 KW Diesel Generator, whole house inverter, solar panel.
                      37" outside TV door mounted.
                      2003 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel w/few... OK many mods!!
                      6spd, PacBrake, MaxBrake, rear air suspension, Pressure Pro, 19.5" tires....the list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nascarcampers View Post
                        I read all these "perfect ending stories" about GY G114 tires. Here is mine, Last November coming through Macon GA I had a fellow driver pull up next to me and hand signal me that I had a tire issue, looked up quickly at TirePressurePro and it did not indicate any problem or low tire. Pulled over and found the GY was still at full pressure but the thread from the GY was wrapped around my axle, shock and jack BUT was still holding full pressure with just the steel belts hanging out. Changed tire and made the remainder of trip back to Michigan without issue. At that time my GY's were just over 4 years old per date code, GY Dealer said there would be no warranty because there was no thread to measure, WHAT? That was the problem, the thread came off, he kept tire and I filled out the form, we are now 8-10 months after and not one word from GY, not even a sorry about your luck. Told dealer I have three more that were bought and mounted at same time, he said that won't help, they can't tell how many miles or amount life you had left on this actual tire. My faith in GY has somewhat diminished but they are still the best I can find but the customer service sucks. By the way it was over $5k to fix damage to my ES.
                        Your dealer is full of BS!!! You need to call GY Customer support. Hope your dealer turned in the tire to GY as they are supposed to do? If not I hope you have pictures that can back up what happened. They are great to deal with, you need to take the Bull by the horn. GY WILL pay for tread separation!
                        39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Think I still have the form, pictures I didn't even think I needed until the dealer made his statement. I will check for form and make some calls, Thanks Mr C
                          Tim & Debby
                          2006 36TK3 Elite Suite #2494 w/7.5 KW Diesel Generator, whole house inverter, solar panel.
                          37" outside TV door mounted.
                          2003 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel w/few... OK many mods!!
                          6spd, PacBrake, MaxBrake, rear air suspension, Pressure Pro, 19.5" tires....the list goes on and on.

Comment

in stead of fighting this battle of pulling very heavy trailer with these type tire. change to one size larger .i did ot have a blow out but i knew it would be coming soon , trailer is and 10 38rssb3 , last time weighted it was 20200.00 pin is over 4500 lbs on a semi, so issue there. so at 5 yrs i new i was in the danger zone. did some study and came up with a tire that fits the rim you get with the mobile suite. i went to 235/75/17.5 tire is rated at 6000lbs and j side wall that is 1200 lbs more than Goodyear. i bought Continental trail tires for a semi trailer. they run cool more every thing we need for safety with these heavy trailers. but they still need to be replaced every 5 yrs or sooner, that is just the way it is, also found i had to replace the brake pads when i was doing the tires. it is never ending. but we love it

Comment

Working...
                            X