Michelin 215 75R/17.5 Blowout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin 215 75R/17.5 Blowout

We traveled from Alabama to NW Montana in April 2016. We're volunteer hosts & have had the camper setup since the 1st of May. July 21st the sidewall blew out one of the tires. There was no weight on the tires & they are not exposed to sun. The date of manufacture on the tire is November 2011.

I've had it w/ Michelin tires. I replaced the tires on my truck due to excessive checking after only 4 years & now I had the sidewall blow out on my camper while setup w/ no weight on the tire. Note: I approached Michelin regarding my truck tires & was told the checking was not deep enough. All tires were badly checked across the entire sidewall & I was not willing to risk a blowout while pulling a camper having a GVWR of 18500. Time to change manufacturers.
    Jim & Sallie Sweitzer
    '05 Doubletree 38RL3

I've had excellent service from our Goodyear 17.5 and on the second set. First set looked brand new when I replaced them at 7 years old.
    sigpic
    Bob & Judy Schmader
    2006 Elite Suites 36 TK3
    2001 F550 Starhauler
    www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
    IN GOD WE TRUST

Comment

5 sets of US Made GY tires from "E" to "G" to "H" and not even a flat. Many thousands of miles on each.
      39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

Sorry to hear you have had problems with Michelin tires on your camper and truck. I have been running Michelin tires on my vehicles for over 30 years and have never had a problem with them. When I ordered my 2015 MS PS3 in June 2014, I ordered Mitchlin tires to be installed at the factory. I did not want Goodyear tires. If you look at the weight of the tires, Michelins weigh about 55 pounds, Goodyears are around 45 lbs, more material in the Michelin for strength. That said, if you have a blow out with a Michelin you are probably going to have more damage. Knock on wood, I have never had a blow out with a Michelin or a flat! There are a lot of people that also swear about Maxxis tires. Good luck with what ever tire you you purchase.
        Al & Ann Kelty
        2015 Mobile Suite PS3 with Vanity Slide
        2012 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 6.7 HO
        AMSOIL Bumper to Bumper
        Meg Hytec Transmission and Differential Covers
        Edge Insight
        Trailer Saver Hitch
        Firestone Air Bags
        ReTrax Pro Bed Cover
        TST Tire Monitoring System

Comment

GY "H" tires are 60# NOT 45.

" G114 LHT 215/75R17.5

Size UTQG Max. Load Inflation Pressure Tread Depth Tire Weight Rim Width Range Sect. Width Tread Width Overall Diam
          215/75R-17.5 N/A 4,805 lbs 125 psi 16/32nds 60 lbs
          39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's 37,500# GCVWR "Towing Beast" "HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

Comment

My neighbor at my winter home in AZ told me he had a flat with a GY and they paid for all the damage done to his 5er. I'm going to be in the market this coming winter for tires and was thinking about Michelin but.................

Comment

GY is the ONLY one that will pay. They have had a stellar record with their "G" and "H" tires since mid 07.
              39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"

Comment

Good to know, thanks! I'm running the 17.5 H tires and will check it out!

Comment

Working...
                X